Huh? No big fanfare about the Mbox 2?

Last response: in Home Audio
September 3, 2005 7:38:57 PM

I don't see any chat here about the new Mbox 2. What's up?

More about : huh big fanfare mbox

Anonymous
September 3, 2005 10:02:08 PM

k9audio@gmail.com wrote:
> I don't see any chat here about the new Mbox 2. What's up?

No publicity yet, I guess. What MBox 2? I've not heard of it yet.

The hubhub I've heard was that Guitar Center was selling the original
MBox for $350, complete with ProTools LE of course. That's a deal
that's hard to pass up.
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 12:31:33 AM

The best news is that since it pushed down the retail price of MBoxes,
now the ones that were going for $375 on Craig's List will be a better
deal at $250. And anyone that doesn't think a full MBox with PTools LE
for that s in denial.

I hate 4 input boxes that only give 2 of them via spdif. That's
barely a plus at all. And I can't find any reference to USB 2.0 so
it's not firewire or USB 2, adds midi port, 48k, two spdif inputs and
for that they cycle a product? I don't get it.
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 1:09:53 AM

well, one could think that they started seeing the street and used
price of the original Mbox going down, so they recycle it w/midi and a
new box so that they can continue to get +400 for them. all with out
much more cost to them. And people love brand new versions.
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 2:56:48 AM

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 15:38:57 -0700, k9audio wrote:

> I don't see any chat here about the new Mbox 2. What's up?

It's the Mbox, with midi sockets and a new case.

The only impressive feature I saw in the Gizmondo preview was the 48GHz
sampling rate. Should sort out the lack of top end sparkle we are
struggling with when recording at just 192KHz.
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 5:58:31 AM

<k9audio@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I don't see any chat here about the new Mbox 2. What's up?

Not much to say about it really.
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 6:49:08 AM

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 22:56:48 +0000, philicorda wrote:

> The only impressive feature I saw in the Gizmondo preview was the 48GHz
> sampling rate. Should sort out the lack of top end sparkle we are
> struggling with when recording at just 192KHz.

Arny, where are you?
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 6:50:44 AM

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 15:38:57 -0700, k9audio wrote:

> I don't see any chat here about the new Mbox 2. What's up?

Probably 'cause nobody here really gives much of a rat's ass.

Are you a Digi shill or what?
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 5:40:44 PM

I see ProTools M-Powered as bigger news. Many more I/F options for Protools
LE, and very cheap to get into.

NS.

> k9audio@gmail.com wrote:
>> I don't see any chat here about the new Mbox 2. What's up?
>
> No publicity yet, I guess. What MBox 2? I've not heard of it yet.
>
> The hubhub I've heard was that Guitar Center was selling the original
> MBox for $350, complete with ProTools LE of course. That's a deal
> that's hard to pass up.

Anonymous
September 5, 2005 4:52:57 AM

In article <pan.2005.09.03.23.26.19.82058@localhost.com>,
philicorda <philicorda@localhost.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 15:38:57 -0700, k9audio wrote:
>
> > I don't see any chat here about the new Mbox 2. What's up?
>
> It's the Mbox, with midi sockets and a new case.
>
> The only impressive feature I saw in the Gizmondo preview was the 48GHz
> sampling rate. Should sort out the lack of top end sparkle we are
> struggling with when recording at just 192KHz.

" Mbox 2 lets you to use two analog inputs and two channels of S/PDIF
digital input at the same time to achieve four simultaneous channels of
audio input."

I always thought the mbox had a max of 2 channels in.

David Correia
www.Celebrationsound.com
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 10:23:14 AM

The M-Audio Boxes leave it in the shade. They had to do something.
I'm waiting for the DIGI 007...
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 7:11:09 PM

James Bond recording stuff?

"studiorat" <daveslevin@02.ie> ha scritto nel messaggio
> The M-Audio Boxes leave it in the shade. They had to do something.
> I'm waiting for the DIGI 007...

Anonymous
September 6, 2005 9:59:47 PM

Federico <plokmichael@tiscali.it> wrote:
> James Bond recording stuff?

License to kill music?
Rob R.

> "studiorat" <daveslevin@02.ie> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> The M-Audio Boxes leave it in the shade. They had to do something.
>> I'm waiting for the DIGI 007...

Anonymous
September 7, 2005 4:13:32 PM

Lorin David Schultz wrote:

> First, the outputs are unbalanced. Second, the output level is slightly
> lower.

That's to take care of all the people who ask "Will it hurt my sound
quality to connect it to an unbalanced input?" and "Why is the level so
hot when I play a recording?"

> Third, the noise is slightly higher.

That's so you can tell when it's turned on.

> Fourth, the headphone amp
> is weenier and has only one jack.

A mini headphone jack? Obviously this is designed to be an accessory
for the iPod. Did I miss an announcement that Apple bought out Avid?
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 10:45:19 PM

I just took a quick look out of curiousity, and the new features in the
Mbox2 come with some tradeoffs compared to the original Mbox.

First, the outputs are unbalanced. Second, the output level is slightly
lower. Third, the noise is slightly higher. Fourth, the headphone amp
is weenier and has only one jack. There may be other differences too...
those are just what I noticed in a quick comparison.

Whether or not any of those differences matter in a product at that
price point is a valid question, particularly in light of the added
features.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 10:40:36 PM

Rob Reedijk wrote:
> Federico <plokmichael@tiscali.it> wrote:
>

>>"studiorat" <daveslevin@02.ie> ha scritto nel messaggio
>>
>>>The M-Audio Boxes leave it in the shade. They had to do something.
>>>I'm waiting for the DIGI 007...
>>

>> James Bond recording stuff?
>

> License to kill music?

Unfortunately, that activity has not been regulated much at all.
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 3:45:55 PM

Lorin David Schultz wrote:
> I just took a quick look out of curiousity, and the new features in the
> Mbox2 come with some tradeoffs compared to the original Mbox.
> First, the outputs are unbalanced.

Yeah, and MBox has balanced outputs? In your dreams. Check again, mr
genius.

> Second, the output level is slightly
> lower.

Wrong.

> Third, the noise is slightly higher.

Where are you RMAA graphics to show that?

> Fourth, the headphone amp
> is weenier and has only one jack. There may be other differences too...
> those are just what I noticed in a quick comparison.

Yeah. I think there are more, like MIDI output and an uglier look. Were
you too busy measuring the noise level to notice that?
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 11:58:30 PM

<rodivine@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yeah, and MBox has balanced outputs? In your dreams. Check again, mr
> genius.

Huh? What's with the attitude? Why do you need to be insulting to make
your point?

Of course the Mbox has balanced outputs. Where did you get the idea it
doesn't?

>> Second, the output level is slightly
>> lower.
>
> Wrong.

According to Digidesign's own specs:

Original Mbox: Maximum Output: +4.2 dBu
Mbox2: Maximum Output: +4 dBV

You do the math (hint: it's not 200mV difference).

>> Third, the noise is slightly higher.
>
> Where are you RMAA graphics to show that?

I'm not nearly that interested -- all I did was compare Digi's own
published specs on their web site. You can too.

> Yeah. I think there are more, like MIDI output and an uglier look.
> Were you too busy measuring the noise level to notice that?

I can't even begin to imagine why you would have a problem with what I
wrote, or why you would choose to both champion and denigrate the Mbox2
in the same post, but it doesn't really matter to me. I didn't say one
was a better choice than the other, I said there's no such thing as a
free lunch. The Mbox2 adds some features, but sacrifices others and
does so at the expense of some of the specs.

Like I said, whether the changes matter or not depends on the user's
needs, preferences and expectations.

!