Please help to choose mouse!

vgrigor

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2003
I want good mouse.
But not expansive - 40$ (? at reasonable price).

And following problems I see at that way:
Optical mouse that new and declared as modern -
have many explicit problems - optics not stable if
mate under it is not optical (does it true?)

In comparison with good mechanical mouse for right methodology.

just adequate ,under_mouse_mate cost is 20$ can be.
Else's can not keep abilities of mouse or make worse them
in effect in real use.
Unstable cursor behavior?

The friction of optical mouse is NOT considering today ever!
To my wonder.
any optical mouse make very big friction?

Must be like metal on ice, but very often like finger on paper.

Does really getting properties is better than mechanical ones.
that can be very good at low price.

The explicit questions:
The dirt not acquiring at ball - is the only benefit of optical mouse ?

does the making optical mouse working like good mechanical
need to spend 3 times $.
Mouse scates - is a "must have" for opticals,- 5$ -for two months.

there is some 800 dpi Logitech mouses at 35$,
with 800 dpi -
does it can be really felt with quality made visible?

I think the only logitech cares about hand suitability -
in design of mouse form.
(mechanical and optical equally)
elses are routh or not fit hand and fingers,
but mouse is 8 hours of using thing.
Is it right?

What else benefits of so best mouse?

does it worth their money in real copmparison with mechanical mouse, if to not give very much points to community rate for look and feel of modern name?

what you can recomment or inform useful or intersting or more?

thanks you.

the_Prisoner

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
Very good questions!

I use a Logitech optical trackball, the ball is on top, so you do not have to worry about surface problems. It can get dirty and I eat and drink around it, but it is super easy to clean. Plus you dont have to worry about the cord as much as a regular mouse. here is a link:<A HREF="http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?page=products/productlist&CRID=22&countryid=19&languageid=1" target="_new">http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?page=products/productlist&CRID=22&countryid=19&languageid=1</A>

For a regular mouse, optical is the best, the surface can effect how it works, like any normal mouse. Their is friction since you have to use it on a surface but their is not much friction. Many people use a special mouse pad that reduces the friction. With a trackball you do not have to worry about friction or slipping.

Optical mouse are not 3 times the price. My Logitech optical trackball is $20. Now the CORDLESS mouse and trackballs do cost more.

You can get cheaper mouse but Logitechs are very good and last along time. It may also depend on what you want to use the mouse for, is it for gaming? For normal computer use, a cheap mouse is fine.

the Prisoner

I'm not a number, I'm a free man! :mad:

BunnyStroker

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
My suggestion is to get either a Logitech (MX500 is good) or Microsoft (Intellimouse or Intellimouse Explorer) optical mouse. I've used both the MX500 and the MS IME and they are both very good. I would pick whichever one feels better in your hand.

Optical mice are no longer really "new" technology - don't worry about any technical kinks being worked out. They will work on pretty much any surface that is not transparent, translucent or reflective - So as long as you are not trying to use an optical mouse on a glass table or a mirror it should work fine. Even if you are, just buy a very basic mousepad to place the mouse on on.

An optical mouse should not need any "skates" or anything to reduce friction. They feel very similar to a traditional ball mouse.

The significant advantages of an optical mouse are that they never need to be cleaned. Optical mice also typically give far better precision of movement - if you play computer games or do any sort of precision design work with the optical mouse is far better.

<b>1.4 Ghz AMD T-Bird underclocked to 1 Ghz...just to be safe!</b>

vgrigor

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2003
Tell me like expert or tending to it:
haw far more precise optical mouse is?
How I can feel this?

Does only than no need of 1 minute cleaning forth ratio
40$/6$ ?

Any optical mose has bad big friction,
as I personally many times tested and choosed many mates,
but mechanical ones are well one special
but very low cost mat.

BunnyStroker

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
Tell me like expert or tending to it:
haw far more precise optical mouse is?
How I can feel this?
The optical mouse has a precision of 1.4335352, vs. a mechanical 0.2324222. :wink:

I'm being sarcastic. Just pick one up and try it. Like we said, unless you are a gamer or do design work a mechanical mouse should be fine.

Does only than no need of 1 minute cleaning forth ratio
40$/6$
You'll have to decide that yourself.

Any optical mose has bad big friction,
as I personally many times tested and choosed many mates,
but mechanical ones are well one special
but very low cost mat.
I have no idea where you are getting the idea of "high friction" optical mice. They feel more or less identical to a mechanical mouse, unless you have coated the bottom of the mouse with an adhesive for some reason :frown: .

<b>1.4 Ghz AMD T-Bird underclocked to 1 Ghz...just to be safe!</b>