Could it be Ram??!

elephantman

Distinguished
May 23, 2003
I have a problem i can't work out.
Basically my pc restarts when the computer is under some strain for example these applications were open at the time of restart at one time:

quake 3 (in a window)
Winamp running.
IRC
msn
and the other standard programs needed..

obviously it happens doing other opperations which cause similar stress to the PC.
The reason i can't work out what the problem is because i have replaced over half the components that might of been the problem..... but still nothing.
I replaced the CPU from a 1800+ to a 2400+xp( yes i have tried many bios updates. )
A new PSU 550 watt.
New graphics card GF4ti4200.
CPU cooler.

Yet to try..
RAM (1 256 mb stick Nanya 2700 333mhz)
Motherboard (Asus A7v333)
HDD (IBM Deskstar 40gig)

My OS is XP pro.
I have two lan cards.
Also when i have increased the FSB to overclock the PC restarts under less strain than usual on the default which led me to think it was the cpu as it was a Palomino core ( 1800+xp ) that theory was wrong.

It isn't overheating either so hopefully that narrows it down a bit.

My next target would be on the Ram, but what do i know :/ .

Please help this is a fustrating problem..

thx eleman.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Memtest86 is a free program for download, try it.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

sturm

Splendid
I would suppect the ram as the prob. run memtest to check it out but I would get a second stick of 256 anyways. You see better performance if you want to run many programs at once.

Are your memory timing settings set to default? The only times I have had that problem with systems are when memory timings were set too aggressive or when memory failing...

I would check timings, then if they are ok, get new ram...

<font color=blue> Ok, so you have to put your "2 cents" in, but its value is only "A penny's worth". Who gets that extra penny? </font color=blue>

elephantman

Distinguished
May 23, 2003
hmm i ran memtest but all i got was loads of numbers with an X going down my screen for some time at wasn't doing much.

As for RAM timing you have lost me.

However i have found an option in windows which stops the computer restarting at System failure soo i unchecked that also i set the mhz to 2000 and the core Voltage to Auto and this has seemed to solve the problem.

But i have yet to try overclocking i will try that today at some point.

elephantman

Distinguished
May 23, 2003
kk update.. I overclocked 2!!!! fsb too 135*15 and instead of restarting the Halflife.exe or quake.exe just crashes and comes up with "do u want to send" bla bla bla..
So this must mean the Ram can't take it surely??.

The RAM timing are all on Auto/Default i know i havent changed them.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
that sounds like memory. But to be sure re-run memtest. Read the readme this time and i am sure you will be able to understand what's happening.

Proud owner of DOS 3.3 :smile: