"bad" windows 7?

computernewb

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
so my laptop wouldnt boot and i took it in to a shop. The person told me that my windows 7 was bad and NOT my hard drive. Is it even possible to have a bad windows 7? I never heard of this before. Can anyone help me with this?

thanks! :D

Either your copy of windows has become "Bloated" after a while or you had a Non legit copy of windows of your computer... Did you buy the laptop from someone else? If you did then they possibly put a "illegal" copy of windows on your computer before you got it. As for the bloated of your windows 7... over time your OS can become slow and buggy. Could be from a virus or too many programs... or other reasons. The shop would have to explain it to you a little more elaborate

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Corrupt operating system most likely is what he probably meant.

How do you mean it doesn’t boot? Does it not turn on? Does it try to boot into windows? What happens?

If you can get into safe mode by pressing f8 during boot up you could try a system restore.

When buying new laptops with operating system already on it, it is recommended to create a restore cd to boot up and restore with. Most likely the laptop didn’t come with a windows cd and the installation files are on the hdd itself on a separate partition.

computernewb

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
oh sorry. when i mean "bad" windows 7. it doesnt boot up. WIndows loads completely and then instead of entering windows, it stays on a black screen. "repair" mode does the same thing.

thats on a good boot. Sometimes it just goes straight to boot menu. But right before i catch this

cd/dvd: boot failed
hdd/ssd: boot failed
fdd: boot failed

what is the problem?

well you may need to get the computer shop to fix it for you. They seem to know what they were doing... They may say something like "We need to re-install the Operating System" or some other professional response... So its just standard procedure.. If you have any important files. Try to get back ups or find your backups else where because they could be corrupt