Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How to write my Palm Contacts to my Nokia phone?

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 12:33:36 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

I have been using Susteen's "DataPilot" product to write my Palm
Contacts to my Nokia phone. However, since I upgraded to Palm Desktop
4.1.4, it no longer works. Talking with Susteen, they told me I could
export to a CSV file then import, but I found Palm Desktop doesn't
seem to be able to deal with an export where different contact
details (email, phone numbers, etc.) are not always in the same order
in an individual record. Instead, you get a CSV file where the fields
are not in a known order.

Nokia's syncing suite depends on Outlook, but I have the same problem
about importing into Outlook from a Palm Desktop CSV export.

Does anyone know of a good, direct, Palm <-> Outlook contact
syncing program that is smart and doesn't need a CSV export
as part of the transferring steps?

- Tim

--
July 28, 2004 3:31:47 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Does your Nokia phone have a infrared port? If so, just beam them over.
It's inefficient for many but ok for a few.

Spammay Blockay wrote:

> I have been using Susteen's "DataPilot" product to write my Palm
> Contacts to my Nokia phone. However, since I upgraded to Palm Desktop
> 4.1.4, it no longer works. Talking with Susteen, they told me I could
> export to a CSV file then import, but I found Palm Desktop doesn't
> seem to be able to deal with an export where different contact
> details (email, phone numbers, etc.) are not always in the same order
> in an individual record. Instead, you get a CSV file where the fields
> are not in a known order.
>
> Nokia's syncing suite depends on Outlook, but I have the same problem
> about importing into Outlook from a Palm Desktop CSV export.
>
> Does anyone know of a good, direct, Palm <-> Outlook contact
> syncing program that is smart and doesn't need a CSV export
> as part of the transferring steps?
>
> - Tim
>
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 9:05:27 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

In article <10ge7gr5ckr95c8@corp.supernews.com>, <spam@spam.com> wrote:
>Does your Nokia phone have a infrared port? If so, just beam them over.
>It's inefficient for many but ok for a few.

Oh, that's the way I usually do it. The problem is, the latest versions
of DataPilot don't know how to talk via my laptop's IrDA port, despite
the fact that earlier versions could... I think they're trying to force
you to buy one of their USB IrDA devices they write the drivers for.

And the version that DOES work (or ANY of their versions) don't read
the latest Palm Desktop format.

Or are you saying I should beam them from my Palm itself to my
phone? Yeah, I guess I could do that, although I don't know if
all the fields would sync properly. Also, wouldn't I have to do it
one at a time, and "accept" them on the phone?

And, even if not for all of the above, it WOULD be pretty damned
slow. :-)

- Tim

>Spammay Blockay wrote:
>
>> I have been using Susteen's "DataPilot" product to write my Palm
>> Contacts to my Nokia phone. However, since I upgraded to Palm Desktop
>> 4.1.4, it no longer works. Talking with Susteen, they told me I could
>> export to a CSV file then import, but I found Palm Desktop doesn't
>> seem to be able to deal with an export where different contact
>> details (email, phone numbers, etc.) are not always in the same order
>> in an individual record. Instead, you get a CSV file where the fields
>> are not in a known order.
>>
>> Nokia's syncing suite depends on Outlook, but I have the same problem
>> about importing into Outlook from a Palm Desktop CSV export.
>>
>> Does anyone know of a good, direct, Palm <-> Outlook contact
>> syncing program that is smart and doesn't need a CSV export
>> as part of the transferring steps?
>>
>> - Tim
--
Related resources
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 2:05:02 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Try this http://www.fun4palm.de/x4/index.asp it allows palms to talk to
phones. Works well with Nokia.

"Spammay Blockay" <SPAMBLOCKER@BLOCKEDTOAVOIDSPAM.com> wrote in message
news:ce540v$i7$1@bolt.sonic.net...
>I have been using Susteen's "DataPilot" product to write my Palm
> Contacts to my Nokia phone. However, since I upgraded to Palm Desktop
> 4.1.4, it no longer works. Talking with Susteen, they told me I could
> export to a CSV file then import, but I found Palm Desktop doesn't
> seem to be able to deal with an export where different contact
> details (email, phone numbers, etc.) are not always in the same order
> in an individual record. Instead, you get a CSV file where the fields
> are not in a known order.
>
> Nokia's syncing suite depends on Outlook, but I have the same problem
> about importing into Outlook from a Palm Desktop CSV export.
>
> Does anyone know of a good, direct, Palm <-> Outlook contact
> syncing program that is smart and doesn't need a CSV export
> as part of the transferring steps?
>
> - Tim
>
> --
>
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 11:00:58 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

In article <iweOc.11095$rW1.112174178@news-text.cableinet.net>,
John Hunt <johnmhunt@nospam@@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>Try this http://www.fun4palm.de/x4/index.asp it allows palms to talk to
>phones. Works well with Nokia.

I'll give it a try, thanks!

- Tim

--
August 1, 2004 5:45:01 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Yes, very slow.
The only plus with the newer Nokia phones is it will save multiple phone
numbers, e-mails, and notes per entry just by beaming the one contact.


Spammay Blockay wrote:

> In article <10ge7gr5ckr95c8@corp.supernews.com>, <spam@spam.com> wrote:
>
>>Does your Nokia phone have a infrared port? If so, just beam them over.
>>It's inefficient for many but ok for a few.
>
>
> Oh, that's the way I usually do it. The problem is, the latest versions
> of DataPilot don't know how to talk via my laptop's IrDA port, despite
> the fact that earlier versions could... I think they're trying to force
> you to buy one of their USB IrDA devices they write the drivers for.
>
> And the version that DOES work (or ANY of their versions) don't read
> the latest Palm Desktop format.
>
> Or are you saying I should beam them from my Palm itself to my
> phone? Yeah, I guess I could do that, although I don't know if
> all the fields would sync properly. Also, wouldn't I have to do it
> one at a time, and "accept" them on the phone?
>
> And, even if not for all of the above, it WOULD be pretty damned
> slow. :-)
>
> - Tim
>
>
>>Spammay Blockay wrote:
>>
>>
>>>I have been using Susteen's "DataPilot" product to write my Palm
>>>Contacts to my Nokia phone. However, since I upgraded to Palm Desktop
>>>4.1.4, it no longer works. Talking with Susteen, they told me I could
>>>export to a CSV file then import, but I found Palm Desktop doesn't
>>>seem to be able to deal with an export where different contact
>>>details (email, phone numbers, etc.) are not always in the same order
>>>in an individual record. Instead, you get a CSV file where the fields
>>>are not in a known order.
>>>
>>>Nokia's syncing suite depends on Outlook, but I have the same problem
>>>about importing into Outlook from a Palm Desktop CSV export.
>>>
>>>Does anyone know of a good, direct, Palm <-> Outlook contact
>>>syncing program that is smart and doesn't need a CSV export
>>>as part of the transferring steps?
>>>
>>>- Tim
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 12:52:59 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

In article <10gp0qgljo41m06@corp.supernews.com>, <spam@spam.com> wrote:
>Yes, very slow.
>The only plus with the newer Nokia phones is it will save multiple phone
>numbers, e-mails, and notes per entry just by beaming the one contact.

Just tried beaming from my Palm, and it will only beam one at
a time. And since I have 400+ contacts, that's just untenable.

- Tim

--
!