Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics (More info?)

http://www.cs.unimaas.nl/icga/news/wccc/2005/

13th World Computer Chess Championship
Reykjavik, Iceland, August 13th-21st, 2005
The ICGA is delighted to announce that the 13th World Computer Chess
Championship will be hosted by Reykjavik University, Iceland, from
August 13th to 21st, 2005. Iceland has a long tradition as an
enthusiastic Chess nation and has the highest per-capita number of Chess
players of any country in the world. The Icelandic organisers intend to
make this a high profile event for the media and we can expect more
spectators and media interest than we have experienced at past World
Championships.

During the tournament there will be a free day, during which all
participants will be invited on an excursion to some of the most
interesting and beautiful tourist attractions in Iceland.

Our hosts in Reykjavik are currently investigating relatively low cost
accommodation during the event, full details of which will be made
available as soon as they are known.

The low-cost airline Iceland Express (www.icelandexpress.com) flies from
Frankfurt (Hahn) and from Copenhagen. Iceland Air also offers
competitive fares to/from various destinations when booking via the
Internet. It is best to visit your local home page for Iceland Air, for
example (www.icelandair.dk,(www.icelandair.co.uk, and
(www.icelandair.com. All participants are encouraged to enter early and
to book their flights as soon as they receive confirmation that their
entry has been accepted.

Please address any queries to Johanna Hellemons: hellemon@cs.unimaas.nl.

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics (More info?)

I hope they force everyone to use similiar hardware or it really becomes
a match about hardware rather than software !!

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001
Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics (More info?)

Agreed, I feel that the programs should be played on certified and evenly
and exactly matched machines.

"Bugsy" <Bugsy@none.com> wrote in message

I hope they force everyone to use similiar hardware or it really becomes
a match about hardware rather than software !!

How many teams will show up ?

Shredder , Hercules, Fritze , Chess Tiger , and moor i hope.....

I wonder why version of Fritz will be used. The multi-processor version
would be nice to see but I get the feeling that they will probably just
use the single processor version of Fritz.

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics (More info?)

In contradiction,

the event will only get publicity and be interesting if everyone shows up
with the latest formula 1 car. No one cares for a bicycle race that everyone
already can do at home.

It's about the best chess playing software system on the planet, not about
how it performs at my old dusted Pentium-60Mhz.

In anyway, AMD sells dual core processors now. So software being non
parallel is outdated anyway by now. Any product that default ships with
non-parallel software engines is IMHO not worth buying.

Vincent

Vincent Diepeveen wrote:
> In contradiction,
>
> the event will only get publicity and be interesting if everyone shows up
> with the latest formula 1 car. No one cares for a bicycle race that everyone
> already can do at home.
>
> It's about the best chess playing software system on the planet, not about
> how it performs at my old dusted Pentium-60Mhz.
>
> In anyway, AMD sells dual core processors now. So software being non
> parallel is outdated anyway by now. Any product that default ships with
> non-parallel software engines is IMHO not worth buying.
>
> Vincent

Would u please update me on Dual Core Processors and Parallel software.
I am not sure how it works.

Thank you

> "Bugsy" <Bugsy@none.com> wrote in message
>
>>I hope they force everyone to use similiar hardware or it really becomes a
>>match about hardware rather than software !!

At all tournaments where fritz plays, it played at the latest PC hardware.

In fact in world champs 2004 it was quad opteron 2.2Ghz.

Vincent

> Vincent Diepeveen wrote:
>> In contradiction,
>>
>> the event will only get publicity and be interesting if everyone shows up
>> with the latest formula 1 car. No one cares for a bicycle race that
>> everyone already can do at home.
>>
>> It's about the best chess playing software system on the planet, not
>> about how it performs at my old dusted Pentium-60Mhz.
>>
>> In anyway, AMD sells dual core processors now. So software being non
>> parallel is outdated anyway by now. Any product that default ships with
>> non-parallel software engines is IMHO not worth buying.
>>
>> Vincent
>
> Would u please update me on Dual Core Processors and Parallel software. I
> am not sure how it works.

for dual core processors review, Diep especially :

http://www.sudhian.com/showdocs.cfm?aid=667&pid=2543

a dual core is a processor which because of newer technology can fit 2
processors on the same space where in past there was 1. So the processor can
split itself in 2 and be faster like that.

programs that can effectively use more than 1 processor we call parallel
programs.

> Thank you

You're welcome