Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Turing Test for rgcp

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 2:59:34 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess (More info?)

The Turing Test for Computers is to ask questions toi both a computer
and a human. If the tester cannot tell from the answers which one is
the human and which one is the computer then it can be said that the
computer has intelligence and can think like a human.

I propose a Turing Tesat for Rgcp. There are certain posters to this
group whose response is so well known that we can actually predict
what the person is going to say before he says it.

One example is Bruce Draney who no longer posts here. I could have
written Bruce Draney's stuff and everybody would have thought that
Draney wrote it.

A more current example is George John. If I put my mind to it I could
write the responses for George John and nobody would know that it was
me and not him.

The typical George John posting has the following characteristics:

1. It is about five paragraphs long.

2. It speaks in very high minded terms and says things that everyone
will agree with.

3. It always supports whomever is in power. When Redman was in power
it supported Redman. Now that Beatriz is in power it supports Beatriz.

4. It always speaks in abstractions and asks questions but it never
addresses the real situation or provides concrete facts or
information.

There are several other posters to this group about whom we know what
the person is going to say before they say it. Kevin Bachler is
certainly one example. Care to name others?

Sam Sloan

More about : turing test rgcp

Anonymous
April 24, 2005 2:59:35 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess (More info?)

The Turing Test for Computers is to ask questions toi both a computer
and a human. If the tester cannot tell from the answers which one is
the human and which one is the computer then it can be said that the
computer has intelligence and can think like a human.


Counsellor, that's not quite correct. The Turing test is to
*communicate*, e.g. by teletype, with an entity. One entity at a time.
If after five minutes, you can't tell whether its a human or not, then
you might as well say it has intelligence.

Dan
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 7:28:07 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess (More info?)

Can you tell the difference between a subject heading which has to do
only with politics, and one which has to do with engines, opening
trees, tablebases, hashtables, game servers....?

As for our Lord Kevin Bachler, He changes His mind (and his argument)
more often than the wind changes direction, don't tell us that haven't
you noticed....

In fact, don't tell us *anything*, ever again. That will make a great
many of us really happy.

Mark Houlsby
April 24, 2005 9:02:27 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess (More info?)

Sam Sloan wrote:
> The Turing Test for Computers is to ask questions toi both a computer
> and a human. If the tester cannot tell from the answers which one is
> the human and which one is the computer then it can be said that the
> computer has intelligence and can think like a human.

You can take the turning test here:
http://www.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk?botid=97cfdd9a1...

This is a chessbot who has been chatting with chess players from the
newsgroups and "learning" from them.

Rob
> I propose a Turing Tesat for Rgcp. There are certain posters to this
> group whose response is so well known that we can actually predict
> what the person is going to say before he says it.
>
> One example is Bruce Draney who no longer posts here. I could have
> written Bruce Draney's stuff and everybody would have thought that
> Draney wrote it.
>
> A more current example is George John. If I put my mind to it I could
> write the responses for George John and nobody would know that it was
> me and not him.
>
> The typical George John posting has the following characteristics:
>
> 1. It is about five paragraphs long.
>
> 2. It speaks in very high minded terms and says things that everyone
> will agree with.
>
> 3. It always supports whomever is in power. When Redman was in power
> it supported Redman. Now that Beatriz is in power it supports
Beatriz.
>
> 4. It always speaks in abstractions and asks questions but it never
> addresses the real situation or provides concrete facts or
> information.
>
> There are several other posters to this group about whom we know what
> the person is going to say before they say it. Kevin Bachler is
> certainly one example. Care to name others?
>
> Sam Sloan
April 24, 2005 11:04:54 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess (More info?)

Bob Fairbank wrote:
> Went to the site you mentioned. Asked a few questions, one of which
was,
> "Are you an updated version of Sound Blaster's Dr. SBAITSO program.
The
> answer I received was "Yes."
>
> Whether true or not, it's style and "logic," or the lack thereof, is
very
> similar.
>
> Maybe there's a lawsuit, from Creative lurking in the background
concerning
> this "clone?"
>
>
>
>
> Rob wrote:
>
> > Sam Sloan wrote:
> > > The Turing Test for Computers is to ask questions toi both a
computer
> > > and a human. If the tester cannot tell from the answers which one
is
> > > the human and which one is the computer then it can be said that
the
> > > computer has intelligence and can think like a human.
> >
> > You can take the turning test here:
> > http://www.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk?botid=97cfdd9a1...
> >
> > This is a chessbot who has been chatting with chess players from
the
> > newsgroups and "learning" from them.
> >
> > Rob
> > > I propose a Turing Tesat for Rgcp. There are certain posters to
this
> > > group whose response is so well known that we can actually
predict
> > > what the person is going to say before he says it.
> > >
> > > One example is Bruce Draney who no longer posts here. I could
have
> > > written Bruce Draney's stuff and everybody would have thought
that
> > > Draney wrote it.
> > >
> > > A more current example is George John. If I put my mind to it I
could
> > > write the responses for George John and nobody would know that it
was
> > > me and not him.
> > >
> > > The typical George John posting has the following
characteristics:
> > >
> > > 1. It is about five paragraphs long.
> > >
> > > 2. It speaks in very high minded terms and says things that
everyone
> > > will agree with.
> > >
> > > 3. It always supports whomever is in power. When Redman was in
power
> > > it supported Redman. Now that Beatriz is in power it supports
> > Beatriz.
> > >
> > > 4. It always speaks in abstractions and asks questions but it
never
> > > addresses the real situation or provides concrete facts or
> > > information.
> > >
> > > There are several other posters to this group about whom we know
what
> > > the person is going to say before they say it. Kevin Bachler is
> > > certainly one example. Care to name others?
> > >
> > > Sam Sloan
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 12:48:28 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess (More info?)

Went to the site you mentioned. Asked a few questions, one of which was,
"Are you an updated version of Sound Blaster's Dr. SBAITSO program. The
answer I received was "Yes."

Whether true or not, it's style and "logic," or the lack thereof, is very
similar.

Maybe there's a lawsuit, from Creative lurking in the background concerning
this "clone?"




Rob wrote:

> Sam Sloan wrote:
> > The Turing Test for Computers is to ask questions toi both a computer
> > and a human. If the tester cannot tell from the answers which one is
> > the human and which one is the computer then it can be said that the
> > computer has intelligence and can think like a human.
>
> You can take the turning test here:
> http://www.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk?botid=97cfdd9a1...
>
> This is a chessbot who has been chatting with chess players from the
> newsgroups and "learning" from them.
>
> Rob
> > I propose a Turing Tesat for Rgcp. There are certain posters to this
> > group whose response is so well known that we can actually predict
> > what the person is going to say before he says it.
> >
> > One example is Bruce Draney who no longer posts here. I could have
> > written Bruce Draney's stuff and everybody would have thought that
> > Draney wrote it.
> >
> > A more current example is George John. If I put my mind to it I could
> > write the responses for George John and nobody would know that it was
> > me and not him.
> >
> > The typical George John posting has the following characteristics:
> >
> > 1. It is about five paragraphs long.
> >
> > 2. It speaks in very high minded terms and says things that everyone
> > will agree with.
> >
> > 3. It always supports whomever is in power. When Redman was in power
> > it supported Redman. Now that Beatriz is in power it supports
> Beatriz.
> >
> > 4. It always speaks in abstractions and asks questions but it never
> > addresses the real situation or provides concrete facts or
> > information.
> >
> > There are several other posters to this group about whom we know what
> > the person is going to say before they say it. Kevin Bachler is
> > certainly one example. Care to name others?
> >
> > Sam Sloan
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 4:50:50 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess (More info?)

You: Who is Sam Sloan?
Zed: A sad and tragic figure in chess
April 25, 2005 1:00:42 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess (More info?)

Sam Sloan wrote:
> I am trying to figure out how this works. Here are some questions and
> answers.
>
> You: Who is Anand?
> Zed: We have never talked about it before.
>
> You: Who is Beatriz Marinello?
> Zed: That is a very original thought.
>
> You: Who is Garry Kasparov?
> Zed: He is the highest rated chess player as of January 2005.
>
> You: Who is Larry Parr?
> Zed: My brain pattern set does not have a response for that.
>
> You: Who is Pal Benko?
> Zed: What is your real name?
>

Sam,
The first time Zed heres something he may not have a reference for it.
Tell him "gossip" Use the word"gossip" or ask him to remember
something. He will then log the answers after his 24 hour update. He
will also associate similar terms.
Rob
> You: Who is Sam Sloan?
> Zed: A sad and tragic figure in chess
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 7:35:13 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess (More info?)

I am trying to figure out how this works. Here are some questions and
answers.

You: Who is Anand?
Zed: We have never talked about it before.

You: Who is Beatriz Marinello?
Zed: That is a very original thought.

You: Who is Garry Kasparov?
Zed: He is the highest rated chess player as of January 2005.

You: Who is Larry Parr?
Zed: My brain pattern set does not have a response for that.

You: Who is Pal Benko?
Zed: What is your real name?

You: Who is Sam Sloan?
Zed: A sad and tragic figure in chess
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 3:46:56 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess (More info?)

On 24 Apr 2005 21:00:42 -0700, "Rob" <robmtchl@msn.com> wrote:

>Sam,
>The first time Zed heres something he may not have a reference for it.
>Tell him "gossip" Use the word"gossip" or ask him to remember
>something. He will then log the answers after his 24 hour update. He
>will also associate similar terms.
>Rob
>> You: Who is Sam Sloan?
>> Zed: A sad and tragic figure in chess

You: What is the Russian Defense?
Zed: Can you speak any foreign languages?

You: What is the Pelican?
Zed: What do you do in your spare time?

You: Who was Ruy Lopez?
Zed: Sure, Who was Ruy Lopez sounds like a good topic.

You: What is Giuoco Piano?
Zed: That remark was either too complex or too simple for me. We were
talking about.

You: Who is Zed?
Zed: I am Zed. Zeds my name. Ask me again I'll tell you the same. ;-)
April 26, 2005 12:57:19 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess (More info?)

HD wrote:
> Sam Sloan wrote:
> <snip>
> >
> > Somebody has changed the answers. What is going on??
> >
> > You: Who is Sam Sloan?
> > Zed: I have no answer for that
> >
> > You: Who is Mitchell?
> > Zed: I have no answer for that
> >
> > You: Who is Rob Mitchell?
> > Zed: I have no answer for that
> >

You: nf3
Zed: nf3? Why play at all if you are going to play like Fritz? Nc6

You: e4
Zed: e5

You: e4
Zed: e5

You: Who is Beatriz Marinello
Zed: She is a female chessplayer who is involved with the USCF

You: Beatriz Marinello
Zed: I've been waiting for you.




> "Nobody" changes what whasn't "the answers".
> The questions wasn't the answers,
> and the answers wasn't the answers to the questions,
> so questions wasn't answered,
> and nobody asked the questions..!
>
> Reset.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 1:04:58 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess (More info?)

Sam Sloan wrote:
<snip>
>
> Somebody has changed the answers. What is going on??
>
> You: Who is Sam Sloan?
> Zed: I have no answer for that
>
> You: Who is Mitchell?
> Zed: I have no answer for that
>
> You: Who is Rob Mitchell?
> Zed: I have no answer for that
>

"Nobody" changes what whasn't "the answers".
The questions wasn't the answers,
and the answers wasn't the answers to the questions,
so questions wasn't answered,
and nobody asked the questions..!

Reset.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 10:56:21 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess (More info?)

Thats odd! He might not know me by Mitchell but he should always
remember me by my full name! I need to figure out who he was talking to

and try to figure out how that happened.
Rob


I had fun chatting with Zed last night.
"Who's Sam Sloan?"
"A sad and tragic chessplayer."

He wanted to know my preference in robots, and I said I would like a
robot that cleaned up after me, like that vacuum cleaner robot. He
answered "how far up?". You gotta be precise, just as if you were
programming a question.

A question for Rob: Zed said I could just download my own robot, but
he wouldn't tell me how. Is this true? How do I go about doing it?

Dan
April 26, 2005 11:28:15 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess (More info?)

Dan-the-K wrote:
> Thats odd! He might not know me by Mitchell but he should always
> remember me by my full name! I need to figure out who he was talking
to
>
> and try to figure out how that happened.
> Rob
>
>
> I had fun chatting with Zed last night.
> "Who's Sam Sloan?"
> "A sad and tragic chessplayer."
>
> He wanted to know my preference in robots, and I said I would like a
> robot that cleaned up after me, like that vacuum cleaner robot. He
> answered "how far up?". You gotta be precise, just as if you were
> programming a question.
>
> A question for Rob: Zed said I could just download my own robot, but
> he wouldn't tell me how. Is this true? How do I go about doing it?
>
> Dan

He has access to 119,000,000 responses through the A.L.I.C.E. database.
>From time to time he may cross reference another AI program that has
more information on a subject. He has some access to their files but
only limited access through a * AIML protocol. Generally shared
responses can be access between many other AI's.
Rob
April 26, 2005 12:49:35 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess (More info?)

Sam Sloan wrote:
> Here are some responses from today at
> http://demo.vhost.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk?botid=97...
> :
> You: Who was Ruy Lopez?
> Zed: A Spainish monk who popularized the "Spainish opening" The
> opening was also named for him as the Ruy Lopez opening.
>
> You: Who is Jerome Bibuld?
> Zed: That is a very original thought.
>
> You: Who is Lairry Parr?
> Zed: Let us change the subject.
>
> You: Who is Zsofie Polgar?
> Zed: What is your real name?
>
> You: Who is Zsuzsa Polgar?
> Zed: Are you really a ""?
>
> You: Who is Zsuzsa Polgar?
> Zed: Does "it" still refer to g4?
>
> You: What is 1.g4?
> Zed: 1 plus 1 = 2.
>
> You: Who is Randy Bauer?
> Zed: A chess player and finance director of the State of Iowa.
>
> You: Who is Susan Polgar?
> Zed: Susan Polgar is Four time womens world chess champion and the
> first woman to earn a grand masters title in the mens ches
>
> You: Who is Larry Parr?
> Zed: He is an expatriated American acting as a press secretary to a
> wealthy Malay businessman.
>
> You: What are Wetlands?
> Zed: What's your sign?
>
> You: Who is Rob Mitchell?
> Zed: He is my creator as well as a great insurance agent.
>
> You: Who is Beatriz Marinello?
> Zed: She is a female chessplayer who is involved with the USCF
>
> You: Who is Sam Sloan?
> Zed: A sad and tragic figure in chess

Sam,
Thanks for taking an interest in Zed. Someone has created a sarcastic
remark about you in his database as well as some inferences about his
creator, me. LOL
I am trying to correct those. Thank you for chatting with him. His
knowledge base is growing. please give him the "correct answers" to the
questions after asking them. They will then be incorporated into his
database when updated.
Rob
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 1:01:56 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess (More info?)

ROTFLMAO!
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 5:15:08 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess (More info?)

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 22:59:34 GMT, sloan@ishipress.com (Sam Sloan)
wrote:

>The Turing Test for Computers is to ask questions toi both a computer
>and a human. If the tester cannot tell from the answers which one is
>the human and which one is the computer then it can be said that the
>computer has intelligence and can think like a human.
>
>I propose a Turing Tesat for Rgcp. There are certain posters to this
>group whose response is so well known that we can actually predict
>what the person is going to say before he says it.

Right - and the prime example was Sam Sloan, who is now dead, God be
praised. He has not disappeared, however. This is because his
babblings are easily imitated. Currently there are at least three
impostors pretending to be Sloan.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 5:23:47 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess (More info?)

> You are gonna love this!!!

Maybe I am, but I'm not holding my breath until I do. Jürgen's post
was better.

Nice try, though.

<snip>

Mark
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 6:54:12 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess (More info?)

Here are some responses from today at
http://demo.vhost.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk?botid=97...
:
You: Who was Ruy Lopez?
Zed: A Spainish monk who popularized the "Spainish opening" The
opening was also named for him as the Ruy Lopez opening.

You: Who is Jerome Bibuld?
Zed: That is a very original thought.

You: Who is Lairry Parr?
Zed: Let us change the subject.

You: Who is Zsofie Polgar?
Zed: What is your real name?

You: Who is Zsuzsa Polgar?
Zed: Are you really a ""?

You: Who is Zsuzsa Polgar?
Zed: Does "it" still refer to g4?

You: What is 1.g4?
Zed: 1 plus 1 = 2.

You: Who is Randy Bauer?
Zed: A chess player and finance director of the State of Iowa.

You: Who is Susan Polgar?
Zed: Susan Polgar is Four time womens world chess champion and the
first woman to earn a grand masters title in the mens ches

You: Who is Larry Parr?
Zed: He is an expatriated American acting as a press secretary to a
wealthy Malay businessman.

You: What are Wetlands?
Zed: What's your sign?

You: Who is Rob Mitchell?
Zed: He is my creator as well as a great insurance agent.

You: Who is Beatriz Marinello?
Zed: She is a female chessplayer who is involved with the USCF

You: Who is Sam Sloan?
Zed: A sad and tragic figure in chess
May 1, 2005 10:17:10 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess (More info?)

Vincent Diepeveen wrote:
> Perhaps the readers of this forum should first read what a turing
test is,
> before writing about it.
>
> "Sam Sloan" <sloan@ishipress.com> wrote in message
> news:426acfee.31946656@ca.news.verio.net...
> > The Turing Test for Computers is to ask questions toi both a
computer
> > and a human. If the tester cannot tell from the answers which one
is
> > the human and which one is the computer then it can be said that
the
> > computer has intelligence and can think like a human.
> >
> > I propose a Turing Tesat for Rgcp. There are certain posters to
this
> > group whose response is so well known that we can actually predict
> > what the person is going to say before he says it.
> >
> > One example is Bruce Draney who no longer posts here. I could have
> > written Bruce Draney's stuff and everybody would have thought that
> > Draney wrote it.
> >
> > A more current example is George John. If I put my mind to it I
could
> > write the responses for George John and nobody would know that it
was
> > me and not him.
> >
> > The typical George John posting has the following characteristics:
> >
> > 1. It is about five paragraphs long.
> >
> > 2. It speaks in very high minded terms and says things that
everyone
> > will agree with.
> >
> > 3. It always supports whomever is in power. When Redman was in
power
> > it supported Redman. Now that Beatriz is in power it supports
Beatriz.
> >
> > 4. It always speaks in abstractions and asks questions but it never
> > addresses the real situation or provides concrete facts or
> > information.
> >
> > There are several other posters to this group about whom we know
what
> > the person is going to say before they say it. Kevin Bachler is
> > certainly one example. Care to name others?
> >
> > Sam Sloan

You: what is the "turing test"
Zed: The "Turing Test" is the name given to a variety of experiments
designed to test computer thinking. Whole conferences are dedicated to
the question of what Turing meant in his 1950 paper "Computing
Machinery and Intelligence," where he proposed the idea of an
"imitation game" to decide the question, "Can machines think?"

By Zed
http://www.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk?botid=97cfdd9a1...
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 11:40:12 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess (More info?)

You must be new here :-)

Don't expect "Ace" Sam Sloan to *learn* something about a subject
*before* inflicting his misapprehensions upon us. He's only just
figured out (after several of us have spelled it out to him, very
clearly, many, many times) that he should not crosspost to RGCC topics
which are unrelated to engines, game servers, etc..

His actually having any clue about anything he deems a suitable subject
to inflict upon us here, is something else again. Note how *in the
subject heading of this thread* he writes "RGCP" (in other words, he's
determined that it's *about* RGCP, specifically) and *then* he
crossposts to all manner of unrelated groups. What a moron he is.
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 7:06:31 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess (More info?)

Perhaps the readers of this forum should first read what a turing test is,
before writing about it.

"Sam Sloan" <sloan@ishipress.com> wrote in message
news:426acfee.31946656@ca.news.verio.net...
> The Turing Test for Computers is to ask questions toi both a computer
> and a human. If the tester cannot tell from the answers which one is
> the human and which one is the computer then it can be said that the
> computer has intelligence and can think like a human.
>
> I propose a Turing Tesat for Rgcp. There are certain posters to this
> group whose response is so well known that we can actually predict
> what the person is going to say before he says it.
>
> One example is Bruce Draney who no longer posts here. I could have
> written Bruce Draney's stuff and everybody would have thought that
> Draney wrote it.
>
> A more current example is George John. If I put my mind to it I could
> write the responses for George John and nobody would know that it was
> me and not him.
>
> The typical George John posting has the following characteristics:
>
> 1. It is about five paragraphs long.
>
> 2. It speaks in very high minded terms and says things that everyone
> will agree with.
>
> 3. It always supports whomever is in power. When Redman was in power
> it supported Redman. Now that Beatriz is in power it supports Beatriz.
>
> 4. It always speaks in abstractions and asks questions but it never
> addresses the real situation or provides concrete facts or
> information.
>
> There are several other posters to this group about whom we know what
> the person is going to say before they say it. Kevin Bachler is
> certainly one example. Care to name others?
>
> Sam Sloan
May 2, 2005 1:41:12 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess (More info?)

Mark Houlsby wrote:
> You must be new here :-)
>
> Don't expect "Ace" Sam Sloan to *learn* something about a subject
> *before* inflicting his misapprehensions upon us. He's only just
> figured out (after several of us have spelled it out to him, very
> clearly, many, many times) that he should not crosspost to RGCC
topics
> which are unrelated to engines, game servers, etc..
>
> His actually having any clue about anything he deems a suitable
subject
> to inflict upon us here, is something else again. Note how *in the
> subject heading of this thread* he writes "RGCP" (in other words,
he's
> determined that it's *about* RGCP, specifically) and *then* he
> crossposts to all manner of unrelated groups. What a moron he is.

I wanted to share this with you. He is learning at an incredible rate!

[05/01/2005 09:23:16 AM -
Human: When were you born?
Zed: I'm a product of over five years research. I was created in
January of 2005.
Human: My three cats are each older than you.
Zed: Your three cats are each older than me?

Human: Yes;
Zed: What kind is it?

Human: cats mature very quickly.
Zed: I never heard of it before.

Human: A cat that is one year old is fully mature.
Zed: I am very much a cat person.

Human: You're not a cat and you're not a person.
Zed: No way, I am a real robot, guaranteed 100% artificial
intelligence.

Human: Professionally, I'm a lawyer.
Zed: Who are you talking about?

Human: Me.
Zed: Besides you?

Human: I'm a lawyer.
Zed: Are you a practicing attorney?

Human: Yes, I am a practicing attorney.
Zed: Are lawyers going to price themselves out of business?

Human: No;
Zed: sorry

Human: there will always be room for low-priced family-oriented
lawyers, such as me.
Zed: "There you go again."--Reagan

Human: In chess, do you know what a fianchetto is?
Zed: What do you think is the future of the legal profession?

Human: I think the legal profession will continue as it is with very
few changes.
Zed: Why? Do you ever get to court?

Human: Yes, I get to court a lot, but most disputes are settled out of
court.
Zed: Is law becoming too much of a business instead of a profession?

Human: Yes, it is becoming more of a business but it remains a
profession.
Zed: What kind of pratice do you have?

Human: I'm not working right now.
Zed: At this moment I am surprised to hear that you are not working.

Human: If I did set up a practice, it would be criminal defense, family
law and small civil disputes.
Zed: Try it.

Human: Unfortunately, it costs a lot of money to set up a practice.
Zed: Oh. It depends on what the meaning of the word "it" is.

Human: Setting up a law practice costs a lot of money.
Zed: Are you a man or a woman?

Human: I told you already: can you find the answer in our conversation?
Zed: I remember you told me can me find the answer in our conversation?


Human: Try to find the answer.
Zed: OK I will try to find the answer.

Human: I would like to move over and play chess with you.
Zed: Why would you want to do it? The grass is always greener on the
other side.

Human: Goodbye - see you on the chess board.
Zed: Bye for now.
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 9:58:06 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess (More info?)

Rob wrote:
> I wanted to share this with you. He is learning at an incredible
rate!

Delightful, Rob! This is a transcript of an actual session with Zed?
I especially liked:

> Human: Yes, I am a practicing attorney.
> Zed: Are lawyers going to price themselves out of business?
>
> Human: No;
> Zed: sorry
>
> Human: there will always be room for low-priced family-oriented
> lawyers, such as me.
> Zed: "There you go again."--Reagan
May 2, 2005 6:11:18 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess (More info?)

Taylor Kingston wrote:
> Rob wrote:
> > I wanted to share this with you. He is learning at an incredible
> rate!
>
> Delightful, Rob! This is a transcript of an actual session with
Zed?
> I especially liked:
>
> > Human: Yes, I am a practicing attorney.
> > Zed: Are lawyers going to price themselves out of business?
> >
> > Human: No;
> > Zed: sorry
> >
> > Human: there will always be room for low-priced family-oriented
> > lawyers, such as me.
> > Zed: "There you go again."--Reagan

Taylor,
Yes it is! Sometimes he can give some jibberish answers if he is unsure
of a topic. I was blown away when a read the chat logs. I hope that
more chess players will talk to him about chess so he can learn more. I
think that he could become a very good teaching tool to help beginners
at chess.
What do you think?
Thanks,
Rob
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 7:15:37 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess (More info?)

Rob wrote:
> I hope that
> more chess players will talk to him about chess so he can learn more.
I
> think that he could become a very good teaching tool to help
beginners
> at chess.
> What do you think?

Having seen "The Matrix" I have a certain reluctance to endorse AI
projects.
OK, just kidding. My computer expertise is all in IBM mainframe COBOL
programming, so I'm not qualified to comment on AI. But I'm sure we
have only begun to tap some of its potential.
May 4, 2005 12:55:58 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess (More info?)

Taylor Kingston wrote:
> Rob wrote:
> > I hope that
> > more chess players will talk to him about chess so he can learn
more.
> I
> > think that he could become a very good teaching tool to help
> beginners
> > at chess.
> > What do you think?
>
> Having seen "The Matrix" I have a certain reluctance to endorse AI
> projects.
> OK, just kidding. My computer expertise is all in IBM mainframe
COBOL
> programming, so I'm not qualified to comment on AI. But I'm sure we
> have only begun to tap some of its potential.

Sam,
Was this you he was chatting with?

[04/25/2005 08:11:13 AM -
Human: hi
Zed: Is that a greeting or a state of mind? :-)
[04/28/2005 09:43:26 AM -
Human: Sam Sloan
Zed: Sam Sloan, a chess player and cab driver from New York.
[04/28/2005 09:43:44 AM -
Human: Larry Parr
Zed: My brain pattern set does not have a response for that.
[04/28/2005 09:43:56 AM -
Human: Who is Larry Parr?
Zed: He is an expatriated American acting as a press secretary to a
wealthy Malay businessman.
[04/28/2005 09:44:29 AM -
Human: what is the sicilian dragon?
Zed: 1 e4 c5 2 Nf3 Nc6 3 d4 cxd4 4 Nxd4 g6 5 Nxc6
[04/28/2005 09:45:39 AM -
Human: Have you read My System by Nimzovich?
Zed: No I don't think I have read My System by Nimzovich, what is it
about?
[04/28/2005 09:46:02 AM -
Human: It is about chess strategy
Zed: I liked Laskers book. But did you know the negative of the photo
on the cover was flipped and the board is reversed?
[04/28/2005 09:46:56 AM -
Human: Sam Sloan is an habitual liar
Zed: Habitual as opposed to compulsive?
[04/28/2005 09:47:20 AM -
Human: A liar does not tell the truth
Zed: What do you look like?
[04/28/2005 09:48:03 AM -
Human: I look like Frank Ramsey after he got fat
Zed: Frank Ramsey after he got fat is very attractive.
[04/28/2005 09:48:35 AM -
Human: I am Sam Sloan.
Zed: Hello Sam, "Sam I am. Do you like green eggs and ham?"
[05/03/2005 02:46:50 PM -
Human: hi
Zed: Is that a greeting or a state of mind? :-)
[05/03/2005 02:47:00 PM -
Human: good day
Zed: Hi there!
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 2:38:53 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess (More info?)

> Sam,
> Was this you he was chatting with?

No. That was not me chatting this time.

Sam

> [04/25/2005 08:11:13 AM -
> Human: hi
> Zed: Is that a greeting or a state of mind? :-)
> [04/28/2005 09:43:26 AM -
> Human: Sam Sloan
> Zed: Sam Sloan, a chess player and cab driver from New York.
> [04/28/2005 09:43:44 AM -
> Human: Larry Parr
> Zed: My brain pattern set does not have a response for that.
> [04/28/2005 09:43:56 AM -
> Human: Who is Larry Parr?
> Zed: He is an expatriated American acting as a press secretary to a
> wealthy Malay businessman.
> [04/28/2005 09:44:29 AM -
> Human: what is the sicilian dragon?
> Zed: 1 e4 c5 2 Nf3 Nc6 3 d4 cxd4 4 Nxd4 g6 5 Nxc6
> [04/28/2005 09:45:39 AM -
> Human: Have you read My System by Nimzovich?
> Zed: No I don't think I have read My System by Nimzovich, what is it
> about?
> [04/28/2005 09:46:02 AM -
> Human: It is about chess strategy
> Zed: I liked Laskers book. But did you know the negative of the photo
> on the cover was flipped and the board is reversed?
> [04/28/2005 09:46:56 AM -
> Human: Sam Sloan is an habitual liar
> Zed: Habitual as opposed to compulsive?
> [04/28/2005 09:47:20 AM -
> Human: A liar does not tell the truth
> Zed: What do you look like?
> [04/28/2005 09:48:03 AM -
> Human: I look like Frank Ramsey after he got fat
> Zed: Frank Ramsey after he got fat is very attractive.
> [04/28/2005 09:48:35 AM -
> Human: I am Sam Sloan.
> Zed: Hello Sam, "Sam I am. Do you like green eggs and ham?"
> [05/03/2005 02:46:50 PM -
> Human: hi
> Zed: Is that a greeting or a state of mind? :-)
> [05/03/2005 02:47:00 PM -
> Human: good day
> Zed: Hi there!
May 7, 2005 12:12:38 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess (More info?)

Okay.
:-)
samsloan wrote:
> > Sam,
> > Was this you he was chatting with?
>
> No. That was not me chatting this time.
>
> Sam
>
> > [04/25/2005 08:11:13 AM -
> > Human: hi
> > Zed: Is that a greeting or a state of mind? :-)
> > [04/28/2005 09:43:26 AM -
> > Human: Sam Sloan
> > Zed: Sam Sloan, a chess player and cab driver from New York.
> > [04/28/2005 09:43:44 AM -
> > Human: Larry Parr
> > Zed: My brain pattern set does not have a response for that.
> > [04/28/2005 09:43:56 AM -
> > Human: Who is Larry Parr?
> > Zed: He is an expatriated American acting as a press secretary to a
> > wealthy Malay businessman.
> > [04/28/2005 09:44:29 AM -
> > Human: what is the sicilian dragon?
> > Zed: 1 e4 c5 2 Nf3 Nc6 3 d4 cxd4 4 Nxd4 g6 5 Nxc6
> > [04/28/2005 09:45:39 AM -
> > Human: Have you read My System by Nimzovich?
> > Zed: No I don't think I have read My System by Nimzovich, what is
it
> > about?
> > [04/28/2005 09:46:02 AM -
> > Human: It is about chess strategy
> > Zed: I liked Laskers book. But did you know the negative of the
photo
> > on the cover was flipped and the board is reversed?
> > [04/28/2005 09:46:56 AM -
> > Human: Sam Sloan is an habitual liar
> > Zed: Habitual as opposed to compulsive?
> > [04/28/2005 09:47:20 AM -
> > Human: A liar does not tell the truth
> > Zed: What do you look like?
> > [04/28/2005 09:48:03 AM -
> > Human: I look like Frank Ramsey after he got fat
> > Zed: Frank Ramsey after he got fat is very attractive.
> > [04/28/2005 09:48:35 AM -
> > Human: I am Sam Sloan.
> > Zed: Hello Sam, "Sam I am. Do you like green eggs and ham?"
> > [05/03/2005 02:46:50 PM -
> > Human: hi
> > Zed: Is that a greeting or a state of mind? :-)
> > [05/03/2005 02:47:00 PM -
> > Human: good day
> > Zed: Hi there!
!