Using MN-700 for internal networking only

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I'm not interested in using the MN-700 for internet
access - It appears you can't disable the internet
access. Is this true?
I'm looking to replace my 10 base T hub with the MN-700 -
thought the MN-700 would do this plus let other wireless
devices (e.g. notebook) to access the other PC's
(hardwired to the MN-700).

TIA
Michael

couldn't you just not connect your modem to the router?
When mine was bridged, I was able to access the internet on all computers
but couldn't get onto my other networked computers.

"Michael" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm not interested in using the MN-700 for internet
> access - It appears you can't disable the internet
> access. Is this true?
> I'm looking to replace my 10 base T hub with the MN-700 -
> thought the MN-700 would do this plus let other wireless
> devices (e.g. notebook) to access the other PC's
> (hardwired to the MN-700).
>
> TIA
> Michael

I'm in a location where there is no dsl or cable modem
service. Not ready to connect via sattelite dish.

Michael

Putting the MN700 into bridge mode should do the trick.

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

"Michael" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm not interested in using the MN-700 for internet
> access - It appears you can't disable the internet
> access. Is this true?
> I'm looking to replace my 10 base T hub with the MN-700 -
> thought the MN-700 would do this plus let other wireless
> devices (e.g. notebook) to access the other PC's
> (hardwired to the MN-700).
>
> TIA
> Michael

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

How do you go about placing the MN-700 in bridge mode?

Michael

Hi,

Log into the Base Station management Tool open your Internet explorer to
http://192.168.2.1
then enter the password default is (admin) without the parenthesis and then
on the left menu, click on Security, and then click on Base Station mode,
then choose Access Point Mode.

--
Gary Tsang
Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

> How do you go about placing the MN-700 in bridge mode?
>
> Michael

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I had tried that - couldn't display page. When I enter
the 192.168.2.1 address the MN-700 lights flicker for a
while, but then stop - get a timeout on the browser.I
also tried accessing via the Tools menu in the Base
Station Network Utility tool - the Base Station
Management Tool is disabled. I made sure my firewall was
disabled and added the 192.168.2.1 address in Norton's
list of network addresses to be trusted. I assumed a
subnet of 255.255.255.0 would allow an communications
from the MN-700 to come through. Any ideas?

Michael

Hi,

One more thing you can try is check your Internet Explorer settings.
Open up your Internet Explorer, then go to Tools -> then Internet Options.
Then click on the Connections Tab.
Then click on the LAN Settings button on the bottom.
Now make sure all the checkmark boxes are UNchecked.
Then hit OK, and then OK again.

Now try accessing http://192.168.2.1

If it still doesn't work, try performing a hard reset with the MN-700 by
getting a sharp item and pushing the reset button for about 8 seconds.

Then make sure your Network Card obtains an IP address and then open up
Internet Explorer again and try http://192.168.2.1

Hope it works!

--

> I had tried that - couldn't display page. When I enter
> the 192.168.2.1 address the MN-700 lights flicker for a
> while, but then stop - get a timeout on the browser.I
> also tried accessing via the Tools menu in the Base
> Station Network Utility tool - the Base Station
> Management Tool is disabled. I made sure my firewall was
> disabled and added the 192.168.2.1 address in Norton's
> list of network addresses to be trusted. I assumed a
> subnet of 255.255.255.0 would allow an communications
> from the MN-700 to come through. Any ideas?
>
> Michael

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

The LAN settings were all deselected - I was able to get
the "Base Station Management Tool" menu item being
enabled, but while in the setup wizard, had to "pretend"
I was using an external modem and make all of
the "appropriate" internet settings. That allowed me to
set the Access Point mode and the Base Station Name.
Unfortunately, completing the setup via the wizard
wouldn't continue any further. I set the base station
name to the same name I used in the setup wizard, but
have no idea if that even enters into why it failed to
complete.

I still haven't found using Explorer directly to connect
to 192.168.2.1 will allow me to connect to the MN-700.
If I try to do this, Explorer will try to connect to the
url via the net. In other words, it doesn't even try to
send anything out via the PC's local port.

Michael

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I just tried to ping the device at ip 192.168.2.1 and it
replied. I then could access the device's Base Station
Management Tool via explorer. Once I configured to
Access Point and set the base station name, I was no
longer to ping it, or connect to it.

There is a note in the Base Station Management Tool which
says "Important, before you change the base station mode.
assign a name to the base station.
When you set the base station to access point mode, you
must use this name instead of the base station ip address
to open the Base Station Management Tool.

Michael