Win95 and ADSL...

SleepWalker

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2001
Hi guys

My parents are about to "invest" in a ADSL connection (no router, just ADSL modem, fixed IP). To my amazement, they told me that i had to reinstall their computer with a newer OS, since the ADSL connection weren't supported under win95. I told em that it should be able to run without any problems.
Now i just wan't to make sure that I am right in saying so :)

The modem is a siemens thing i think, runníng 10mbit ethernet on the client side, so i fail to see where the problem should arise. DHCP (If they decide to use that) should be no problem either.

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
98SE would be reasonable to install, it's about time to move your parents out of the ice ages anyway. :) Unless the components in that box got no drivers for 98 because they're so old.

But it should work with 95 if there is NIC drivers for that OS. The only thing I used with 95 was a 56K modem so no clue just guessing it's okay.

<font color=red>Got a silent setup, now I can hear myself thinking. hmm still silence</font color=red>

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
download drtcp.exe from www.dslreports.com and if it allows you to adjust the MTU's and rwin in win95 you should be just fine

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Checking under my North<font color=red> AND</font color=red> South bridges for <font color=green>Trolls</font color=green></font color=blue>

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
it may be that they dont SUPPORT 95, not that it wont work with it, my isp support 98/me/xp only- not 95nt2k/linux, but it works fine if you are able to set it up yourself.

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?