how do you turn of disk space warning

mrcom

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003
hi guys i have got a problem with windows xp pro warning that it is to little disk space left. i am fully aware of the disk space and i dont whant the stupid warnings does anybody know how to turn it off or change the setting.
tia mrcom

sweatlaserxp

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Let me guess, is your swap disk causing this? :) I had this problem when I built this computer a few months ago. Unfortunately I don't remember exactly but it is remedied by changing a registry value. You should be able to find the solution on google.

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
maybe the disk is formatted with FAT16. Remember that FAT16 only supports less than 2gb HDD. Fat32 supports over 100GB+.

<b><font color=purple>
The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind.
</font color=purple></b>
---
<A HREF="http://www.mapua.edu.ph/" target="_new">
MIT
</A>

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
when will these error come up. Playing games? multitasking? encoding? - if these is any case then it could be the virtual memory.

<b><font color=purple>
The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind.
</font color=purple></b>
---
<A HREF="http://www.mapua.edu.ph/" target="_new">
MIT
</A>

goblinking

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003
No, I think he's talking about the message that explorer.exe brings up every time it starts (on reboot, and when the desktop crashes and restarts), saying something like (in my case) "Drive D: has 3kb left, you need to increase the free space or the polar ice caps will melt".

It's easy to turn it off, I have it turned off, but I'm damned if I can remember where! Perhaps when I get home from work, I can't find it on this Win2K box.

mrcom

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003
thanks for the replyes, well i get the messeges from the idont know what it is called in english bar beside the clock where all the icons from programs that starts with windows are placed, it is a hand holding a disk and there is a textbox that pops up and says that i have to little diskspace left(very enoying) and when i click on the textbox, windows program to free disk space is started, but as i said above i dont whant to free disk space becuse i need all the space for important files, it is my d: and e: drive that is affected and swapdisk c: isnt affected, it seams stupid of microsoft that is not possible to turn this off easy, i had this problem before but then i just deleted some files to come over the 200mb limit, thankfull for any soulution i searched for it and no luck, i know this must have happend to other people but i havent read it anyware. by the way this messege comes up at any time even when i am not doing anything.
tia mrcom

lunitic

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2003
Google search for "windows XP disk space warning":

Run the Registry Editor (REGEDIT.EXE).
Open HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Software\ Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion\ Policies\ Explorer.
If it's not there, create a DWORD value and call it NoLowDiskSpaceChecks.
Double-click on NoLowDiskSpaceChecks, and enter the value 1, and press OK.

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
he isnt looking for why it is giving him the bubble, but rather how to turn off windows bubble message.

FIX: Get PowerToys TweakUI for XP (if you don't use XP, just get the regular TweakUI control panel extension)(can be found on google, download.com and microsoft.com). under the 'Taskbar' section, unclick the box for 'Warn when low on disk space.' all done.