max connection on MN-700 router/help needed to set up a ne..

How many PCs can be connected to the MN-700 wireless
router? I know it has only 4 ethernet ports for wired
connection but how about through wireless? It's ok if
only max 4 PC can go online at the same time.

The reason is I'm going to visit my uncle in china during
the summer vacation. Don't ask me what the hell he is
doing there. Anyway he has a business with like 10 people
and he asked me to upgrade their network. Since I have a
spare MN-700 lying around here I'm planing to use it as
the base and then get a few wireless network adapters in
china. A simple network where all PCs can have access to
a server and the internet is good enough.
oh yeah another problem is that they probably still use
dial-up so how can I connect a external modem to a router
or alternativly I can use the server as a access point to
the internet?

Anyone has any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
4 answers Last reply
More about connection router help needed

    Hi,

    The MN-700 will work with a network of 10 computers as long as you run
    another switch or hub into it so that all 10 computers can connect to it.
    One other thing however is that the MN-700 isn't approved for use in China,
    so you may want to be careful about using it over there.

    --
    Gary Tsang
    Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

    "Paul" <msbeta@virus2.net> wrote in message
    > How many PCs can be connected to the MN-700 wireless
    > router? I know it has only 4 ethernet ports for wired
    > connection but how about through wireless? It's ok if
    > only max 4 PC can go online at the same time.
    >
    > The reason is I'm going to visit my uncle in china during
    > the summer vacation. Don't ask me what the hell he is
    > doing there. Anyway he has a business with like 10 people
    > and he asked me to upgrade their network. Since I have a
    > spare MN-700 lying around here I'm planing to use it as
    > the base and then get a few wireless network adapters in
    > china. A simple network where all PCs can have access to
    > a server and the internet is good enough.
    > oh yeah another problem is that they probably still use
    > dial-up so how can I connect a external modem to a router
    > or alternativly I can use the server as a access point to
    > the internet?
    >
    > Anyone has any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    The total is 253 computers (wired and wireless).

    MSBBN hardware is approved for use in US/Canada only. You should look into
    a wireless solution that has been approved in China to cover your bases...

    --
    Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

    Find out about the MS MVP Program -

    "Paul" <msbeta@virus2.net> wrote in message
    > How many PCs can be connected to the MN-700 wireless
    > router? I know it has only 4 ethernet ports for wired
    > connection but how about through wireless? It's ok if
    > only max 4 PC can go online at the same time.
    >
    > The reason is I'm going to visit my uncle in china during
    > the summer vacation. Don't ask me what the hell he is
    > doing there. Anyway he has a business with like 10 people
    > and he asked me to upgrade their network. Since I have a
    > spare MN-700 lying around here I'm planing to use it as
    > the base and then get a few wireless network adapters in
    > china. A simple network where all PCs can have access to
    > a server and the internet is good enough.
    > oh yeah another problem is that they probably still use
    > dial-up so how can I connect a external modem to a router
    > or alternativly I can use the server as a access point to
    > the internet?
    >
    > Anyone has any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    Thanks for the reply. same goes for Jason Tsang. cool
    brothers?

    hmm, I thought all I need is to change the power adapter
    since china uses 240V. I have a netgear router in
    Germany, Europe (my second home :D) that is only approved
    in North America and it works fine. The 802.11g standard
    should be the same worldwide right?

    my question is do I still need additional wireless access
    points for connecting more than 4 computers? I'm planning
    to use wireless exclusively and switches and hubs are for
    extending wired network only right?

    With any wireless signals, just because it works, doesn't mean it is
    approved for use. There are different regulations in each part of the world
    (US/Canada, Europe, etc)

    You don't need any additional hardware connect more than 4 computers
    (obviously each computer needs to have wireless nics).

    --

    > Thanks for the reply. same goes for Jason Tsang. cool
    > brothers?
    >
    > hmm, I thought all I need is to change the power adapter
    > since china uses 240V. I have a netgear router in
    > Germany, Europe (my second home :D) that is only approved
    > in North America and it works fine. The 802.11g standard
    > should be the same worldwide right?
    >
    > my question is do I still need additional wireless access
    > points for connecting more than 4 computers? I'm planning
    > to use wireless exclusively and switches and hubs are for
    > extending wired network only right?

Routers Connection Networking