question from newbie to home recording

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
September 7, 2005 12:49:47 AM

I'm just getting started, in fact still haven't even purchased a
computer, for home digital recording.
I'm mostly going to be doing things with sounds and sound FX.
My question is, is there any recording software that in any way allows
for real-time manipulation of a track, for example- taking a track and
slowing the speed down the speed/pitch, but doing it in real time as
the track is playing, just like you would on an old reel to reel
machine.
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 8:04:10 AM

<gregf wrote:

> I'm just getting started, in fact still haven't even purchased a
> computer, for home digital recording.
> I'm mostly going to be doing things with sounds and sound FX.
> My question is, is there any recording software that in any way allows
> for real-time manipulation of a track, for example- taking a track and
> slowing the speed down the speed/pitch, but doing it in real time as
> the track is playing, just like you would on an old reel to reel
> machine.

Yes, in fact, almost every DAW app offers that facility.

--
ha
September 7, 2005 10:03:48 AM

yes, many DAW's can do that.

But depends what you want to be doing . . . if you are talking about
creating music using a computer, live on stage in real-time, then you
need something a LOT more stable than a typical DAW. Reason and Ableton
Live are the two obvious options for reliable live, real-time music
creation.

If you are working in non real-time in the studio, and don't mind too
much if the software crashes sometimes, then a typical studio-type DAW
will do.

Chris
( http://www.chris-melchior.com/strings.htm REAL strings for realistic
prices)
Related resources
September 7, 2005 2:54:18 PM

I guess what I mean is with recording software, not
performance/creation software. Although, maybe I'll need both then.
What is DAW?

chris@chris-melchior.com wrote:
> yes, many DAW's can do that.
>
> But depends what you want to be doing . . . if you are talking about
> creating music using a computer, live on stage in real-time, then you
> need something a LOT more stable than a typical DAW. Reason and Ableton
> Live are the two obvious options for reliable live, real-time music
> creation.
>
> If you are working in non real-time in the studio, and don't mind too
> much if the software crashes sometimes, then a typical studio-type DAW
> will do.
>
> Chris
> ( http://www.chris-melchior.com/strings.htm REAL strings for realistic
> prices)
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 5:43:18 PM

Digital Audio Workstation - D A W

aka recording software
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 7:06:48 PM

Again,
Live by Ableton does realtime pitch and time changing on the fly.
Reason is good for messing about with sounds and could be a good
performance tool. If you really want to fry your head you could take a
look at MAX/MSP but I think that's a little too much like rocket
science.

On the Fly, a €0.40 phrase for as it's playing.

You should be able to get a look at these to try them out.
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 9:29:33 PM

<gregf@kcls.org> wrote in message
> I guess what I mean is with recording software, not
> performance/creation software. Although, maybe I'll need
> both then. What is DAW?

Digital Audio Workstation, which is a $0.50 phrase for a PC
with digital audio interface(s) and audio production
software.

Digital audio interface is a $0.50 phrase for a sound card.

Audio production software is a $0.50 phrase for an audio
recording and editing program.
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 2:57:41 AM

> I'm just getting started, in fact still haven't even purchased a
> computer, for home digital recording.
> I'm mostly going to be doing things with sounds and sound FX.
> My question is, is there any recording software that in any way allows
> for real-time manipulation of a track, for example- taking a track and
> slowing the speed down the speed/pitch, but doing it in real time as
> the track is playing, just like you would on an old reel to reel
> machine.

Most don't do it in real-time as a general feature but most all will run
plugins that allow this. Without knowing the type of music and/or why you're
wanting to do this it's hard to recommend anything specific. Different
programs are stronger depending on your goal. What are you trying to
accomplish in the end?
September 8, 2005 11:05:34 PM

Thanks. So Reason and Live are able to be used while I'm recording with
another recording program, correct? That might be what I need, or maybe
want is a better word than need.
What I'm trying to do is basically taking old childrens records, record
a song into the PC, then mess with it, meaning, add guitar and or other
instruments, other samples from old sound FX and other LPs, and in some
cases flip things backwards or slow them down, speed them up,etc. I
just know that sometimes I'll be wishing I could slow down/speed up in
more of a live performance/composition sort of way, like messing with a
reel to reel live to warp the sound, doing so has a different feel then
stopping at a certain point and then plotting the spots on the screen.
Being a newbie at this I'm sure if I'm even asking the right question.
I've been doing music for years, and using and fixing computer for
almost as long, but am only just now starting to combine the two.

Ricky Hunt wrote:
> <gregf@kcls.org> wrote in message
> > I'm just getting started, in fact still haven't even purchased a
> > computer, for home digital recording.
> > I'm mostly going to be doing things with sounds and sound FX.
> > My question is, is there any recording software that in any way allows
> > for real-time manipulation of a track, for example- taking a track and
> > slowing the speed down the speed/pitch, but doing it in real time as
> > the track is playing, just like you would on an old reel to reel
> > machine.
> >

> Most don't do it in real-time as a general feature but most all will run
> plugins that allow this. Without knowing the type of music and/or why you're
> wanting to do this it's hard to recommend anything specific. Different
> programs are stronger depending on your goal. What are you trying to
> accomplish in the end?
Anonymous
September 9, 2005 6:11:02 AM

> Thanks. So Reason and Live are able to be used while I'm recording with
> another recording program, correct? That might be what I need, or maybe
> want is a better word than need.
> What I'm trying to do is basically taking old childrens records, record
> a song into the PC, then mess with it, meaning, add guitar and or other
> instruments, other samples from old sound FX and other LPs, and in some
> cases flip things backwards or slow them down, speed them up,etc. I
> just know that sometimes I'll be wishing I could slow down/speed up in
> more of a live performance/composition sort of way, like messing with a
> reel to reel live to warp the sound, doing so has a different feel then
> stopping at a certain point and then plotting the spots on the screen.
> Being a newbie at this I'm sure if I'm even asking the right question.
> I've been doing music for years, and using and fixing computer for
> almost as long, but am only just now starting to combine the two.

Then look at Live first. It's made just for this sort of thing.
!