New to Mac's, Help

Last response: in Home Audio
September 7, 2005 9:02:46 AM

I just bought a dual processor G4 from my friend and am trying to set it up
as my audio computer. Up until now I have been strictly PC and am not very
familiar with the archetecture of the Mac platform. I am trying to install
my RME Digi9652 into one of the PCI slots and the computer is not
recognizing it. It works just fine on my PC so I know it's not the card. I
have already installed the software and drivers on the Mac and have tried
every available PCI slot. When I go to the system management (I forgot what
it's called, Device Manager in Windows) it does not show up. Am I doing
something wrong or incompletely?

Please help a new Mac user. Thanks a lot.

Thomas

More about : mac

September 7, 2005 9:02:47 AM

Thomas Bishop wrote:
> I just bought a dual processor G4 from my friend and am trying to set it up
> as my audio computer. Up until now I have been strictly PC and am not very
> familiar with the archetecture of the Mac platform. I am trying to install
> my RME Digi9652 into one of the PCI slots and the computer is not
> recognizing it. It works just fine on my PC so I know it's not the card. I
> have already installed the software and drivers on the Mac and have tried
> every available PCI slot. When I go to the system management (I forgot what
> it's called, Device Manager in Windows) it does not show up. Am I doing
> something wrong or incompletely?
>
> Please help a new Mac user. Thanks a lot.
>
> Thomas

Did you install the Mac EPROM onto the PCI card? There is an EPROM that
needs to be changed when you switch from Windows to Mac. See the very
bottom of this page for an example of what to look for:
http://www.rme-audio.com/english/access/index.htm

--
Eric

Practice Your Mixing Skills
www.Raw-Tracks.com
www.Mad-Host.com
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 6:02:08 PM

"EricK" <eric@raw-tracks.com> wrote in message
> Did you install the Mac EPROM onto the PCI card? There is an EPROM that
> needs to be changed when you switch from Windows to Mac. See the very
> bottom of this page for an example of what to look for:
> http://www.rme-audio.com/english/access/index.htm

Well, that would be it. I had no idea that I would have to do that. It
says on the RME site that it requires a special tool. Is this something
that I could do myself or should I send it in?

Thanks for the quick help. I was getting very frustrated with my first Mac
experience. Is this typical for switching PCI cards between platforms, or
only on RME products?

Thomas
September 7, 2005 7:15:44 PM

Wed, 07 Sep 2005 14:02:08 GMT, bishopthomas@sbcglobal.net suggested:
: "EricK" <eric@raw-tracks.com> wrote in message
:> Did you install the Mac EPROM onto the PCI card? There is an EPROM that
:> needs to be changed when you switch from Windows to Mac. See the very
:> bottom of this page for an example of what to look for:
:> http://www.rme-audio.com/english/access/index.htm
:
:
: Well, that would be it. I had no idea that I would have to do that. It
: says on the RME site that it requires a special tool. Is this something
: that I could do myself or should I send it in?
:
: Thanks for the quick help. I was getting very frustrated with my first Mac
: experience. Is this typical for switching PCI cards between platforms, or
: only on RME products?

It varies. Some cards work out of the box on both platforms; some require
a ROM change, and some can't be made to work at all.

--
agreenbu @ nyx . net andrew michael greenburg
September 7, 2005 9:46:29 PM

Thomas Bishop wrote:
> I just bought a dual processor G4 from my friend and am trying to set it up
> as my audio computer. Up until now I have been strictly PC and am not very
> familiar with the archetecture of the Mac platform. I am trying to install
> my RME Digi9652 into one of the PCI slots and the computer is not
> recognizing it. It works just fine on my PC so I know it's not the card. I
> have already installed the software and drivers on the Mac and have tried
> every available PCI slot. When I go to the system management (I forgot what
> it's called, Device Manager in Windows) it does not show up. Am I doing
> something wrong or incompletely?
>
> Please help a new Mac user. Thanks a lot.
>
> Thomas

I'm pretty sure the 9652 (and other RME cards) have different firmware
for the mac and windows cards, so you'd need a card with mac firmware.
I would check with RME to see if there's a way to flash the firmware to
the mac version.
September 7, 2005 11:14:09 PM

Thomas Bishop wrote:

> Well, that would be it. I had no idea that I would have to do that. It
> says on the RME site that it requires a special tool. Is this something
> that I could do myself or should I send it in?

I haven't ever changed mine. Never needed to, and now I just sold my
card. So I don't know what's really involved. I am pretty sure those
cards originally shipped with both chips. So it was something that you
could do yourself. Don't know about the tool either.

--
Eric

Practice Your Mixing Skills
www.Raw-Tracks.com
www.Mad-Host.com
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 8:39:50 PM

Well, I switched out the EPROM's and still have the same problem. I
guess it's off to RME tech support.
Anonymous
September 9, 2005 3:03:33 PM

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 00:39:50 +0100, Thomas Bishop wrote
(in article <1126222790.513056.17950@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>):

> Well, I switched out the EPROM's and still have the same problem. I
> guess it's off to RME tech support.

You might also try asking on the RME support newsgroup.

Details at http://www.rme-audio.com/english/info/newsgrp.htm

John

--

yorkio65 at yahoo dot co dot uk
Anonymous

Thomas Bishop wrote:
> I just bought a dual processor G4 from my friend and am trying to set it up
> as my audio computer. Up until now I have been strictly PC and am not very
> familiar with the archetecture of the Mac platform. I am trying to install
> my RME Digi9652 into one of the PCI slots and the computer is not
> recognizing it. It works just fine on my PC so I know it's not the card. I
> have already installed the software and drivers on the Mac and have tried
> every available PCI slot. When I go to the system management (I forgot what
> it's called, Device Manager in Windows) it does not show up. Am I doing
> something wrong or incompletely?
>
> Please help a new Mac user. Thanks a lot.
>
> Thomas

Thomas
I had exactly the same problem with my G4 and the digi9652 and I never
solved the problem. I sent the card back and got a motu box....
David
Anonymous
September 9, 2005 7:47:45 PM

"david morley" <david.morley@gmx.net> wrote in message
> I had exactly the same problem with my G4 and the digi9652 and I never
> solved the problem. I sent the card back and got a motu box....

That's my next step. Thanks for the input.
Anonymous
September 9, 2005 7:49:07 PM

mfassett@pacbell.net wrote:
> Thomas Bishop wrote:
>
>> I just bought a dual processor G4 from my friend and am trying to set
>> it up as my audio computer. Up until now I have been strictly PC and
>> am not very familiar with the archetecture of the Mac platform. I am
>> trying to install my RME Digi9652 into one of the PCI slots and the
>> computer is not recognizing it. It works just fine on my PC so I know
>> it's not the card. I have already installed the software and drivers
>> on the Mac and have tried every available PCI slot. When I go to the
>> system management (I forgot what it's called, Device Manager in
>> Windows) it does not show up. Am I doing something wrong or
>> incompletely?
>>
>> Please help a new Mac user. Thanks a lot.
>>
>> Thomas
>

> I'm pretty sure the 9652 (and other RME cards) have different firmware
> for the mac and windows cards, so you'd need a card with mac firmware. I
> would check with RME to see if there's a way to flash the firmware to
> the mac version.
I swapped chips when I got mine and it still wouldn't work... RME
dcespite being friendly and nice, couldn't fix the problem either
Anonymous
September 10, 2005 3:32:22 AM

Thomas Bishop wrote:
<< Well, I switched out the EPROM's and still have the same problem. I guess
it's off to RME tech support. >>

You are on a dual-processor g4, correct?

What OS are you using?

Do you have the LATEST driver updates installed? (if not, they may be
downloadable from RME's website)

Does the card show up in the Apple System Profiler?

If it _does_ show up there, there are some specific places to check next:
1. Sound preference pane - does the card show up there?
2. Audio/MIDI application - does the card show up there?

If _nothing_ works, I suggest you give consideration to migrating to a
Firewire-based audio interface. Much, _much_, MUCH easier to work with...

- John
Anonymous
September 10, 2005 6:18:37 AM

"John Albert" <j.albert@snet.net> wrote in message
> You are on a dual-processor g4, correct?

Yes.

> What OS are you using?

10.4.x, the latest.

> Do you have the LATEST driver updates installed? (if not, they may be
> downloadable from RME's website)

I downloaded them off the RME site, so unless they don't have drivers out
for the latest OSX, then they should work.

> Does the card show up in the Apple System Profiler?

No.

> If it _does_ show up there, there are some specific places to check next:

> If _nothing_ works, I suggest you give consideration to migrating to a
> Firewire-based audio interface. Much, _much_, MUCH easier to work with...

Been there, done that with a PC. I've gone from MOTU 2408 to Firepod and
now this. I want 24 channels in via lightpipe, which is why I chose the
DIGI9652. If you know of a Firewire-based card that meets this then please
let me know. I will be using a digital mixer (yet to be determined, that
will be for a later thread) using ADAT I/O. If I can't get the RME card to
work, a 2408 is right around the corner.
Anonymous
September 10, 2005 1:58:33 PM

Thomas Bishop wrote:
> "John Albert" <j.albert@snet.net> wrote in message
>
>>You are on a dual-processor g4, correct?
>

> Yes.
>

>>What OS are you using?
>

> 10.4.x, the latest.
>

>>Do you have the LATEST driver updates installed? (if not, they may be
>>downloadable from RME's website)
>

> I downloaded them off the RME site, so unless they don't have drivers out
> for the latest OSX, then they should work.
>

>>Does the card show up in the Apple System Profiler?
>

> No.
>

>>If it _does_ show up there, there are some specific places to check next:
>

>>If _nothing_ works, I suggest you give consideration to migrating to a
>>Firewire-based audio interface. Much, _much_, MUCH easier to work with...
>

> Been there, done that with a PC. I've gone from MOTU 2408 to Firepod and
> now this. I want 24 channels in via lightpipe, which is why I chose the
> DIGI9652. If you know of a Firewire-based card that meets this then please
> let me know. I will be using a digital mixer (yet to be determined, that
> will be for a later thread) using ADAT I/O. If I can't get the RME card to
> work, a 2408 is right around the corner.

Like I said before, the card never worked in my G4.
Short of testing it with all osx versions and things, I'd give up which
is a shame as , like you, I wanted 24 lightpipe channels....
!