Engines that play "human-like" chess?

Hi,

I seem to recall that last year there was an engine that was greatly
hyped, which claimed it played a very human-like (though not extremely
strong) game.

Does anybody recall the name of the engine, or where it can be found?
Also, does it work with the fritz interface, or some other?

Thanks,
Quad
9 answers Last reply
More about engines play human like chess
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    quadriplegic_leprechaun wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I seem to recall that last year there was an engine that was greatly
    > hyped, which claimed it played a very human-like (though not extremely
    > strong) game.
    >
    > Does anybody recall the name of the engine, or where it can be found?
    > Also, does it work with the fritz interface, or some other?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Quad

    Rebel
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    http://members.home.nl/matador/prodeo.htm

    --
    CeeBee

    "Eppur si muove!"
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    On 3 May 2005 21:25:11 GMT, CeeBee wrote:

    > "quadriplegic_leprechaun" <quadriplegic_leprechaun@ukonline.co.uk>
    > wrote in rec.games.chess.computer:
    >
    >> I seem to recall that last year there was an engine that was
    >> greatly hyped, which claimed it played a very human-like (though
    >> not extremely strong) game.
    >>
    >> Does anybody recall the name of the engine, or where it can be
    >> found? Also, does it work with the fritz interface, or some
    >> other?
    >

    > http://members.home.nl/matador/prodeo.htm

    Yes, now known as Pro Deo and FREE!, thanks Ed!
    --
    Chet Marino
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    Thanks, I will try the engine out.

    Are there any other engines which play a very human-like game? I am not
    interested in having a very strong elo, just a fun and challenging game.
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    quadriplegic_leprechaun wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I seem to recall that last year there was an engine that was greatly
    > hyped, which claimed it played a very human-like (though not extremely
    > strong) game.
    >
    > Does anybody recall the name of the engine, or where it can be found?
    > Also, does it work with the fritz interface, or some other?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Quad

    You might be thinking of Chess System Tal from years ago. Google it, but
    here's one link:

    http://www.thorstenczub.de/cst_f_v.html
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    quadriplegic_leprechaun wrote:
    > Thanks, I will try the engine out.
    >
    > Are there any other engines which play a very human-like game? I am not
    > interested in having a very strong elo, just a fun and challenging game.

    Delfi is another you might be interested in.

    http://www.msbsoftware.it/delfi/

    "Delfi is a Winboard chess engine, designed to emulate the human chess
    play. Delfi was written to achieve a good positional play (example: it
    cares about good and bad bishops) but currently it's much stronger at
    tactics."
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    On 4 May 2005 02:03:59 -0700, "quadriplegic_leprechaun"
    <quadriplegic_leprechaun@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:

    >Thanks, I will try the engine out.
    >
    >Are there any other engines which play a very human-like game? I am not
    >interested in having a very strong elo, just a fun and challenging game.

    Chess System Tal

    HIARCS 9

    MChess Pro 8.0

    Gothmog

    just to mention a few
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    On Sat, 14 May 2005 23:10:22 -0700, SW wrote:

    > On 4 May 2005 02:03:59 -0700, "quadriplegic_leprechaun"
    > <quadriplegic_leprechaun@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >>Thanks, I will try the engine out.
    >>
    >>Are there any other engines which play a very human-like game? I am not
    >>interested in having a very strong elo, just a fun and challenging game.
    >

    > Chess System Tal
    >
    > HIARCS 9
    >
    > MChess Pro 8.0
    >
    > Gothmog
    >
    > just to mention a few

    I use ChessMaster 10k, I like the way you can change the way it plays.
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    On Sun, 15 May 2005 20:12:01 GMT, me <me@localhost.localdomain> wrote:

    >On Sat, 14 May 2005 23:10:22 -0700, SW wrote:
    >
    >> On 4 May 2005 02:03:59 -0700, "quadriplegic_leprechaun"
    >> <quadriplegic_leprechaun@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Thanks, I will try the engine out.
    >>>
    >>>Are there any other engines which play a very human-like game? I am not
    >>>interested in having a very strong elo, just a fun and challenging game.
    >>

    >> Chess System Tal
    >>
    >> HIARCS 9
    >>
    >> MChess Pro 8.0
    >>
    >> Gothmog
    >>
    >> just to mention a few
    >
    >I use ChessMaster 10k, I like the way you can change the way it plays.

    yes, that is a good 1 too

PC gaming Engine Computers Games Video Games