Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Engines that play "human-like" chess?

Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Engine
  • Computers
  • Games
  • Video Games
Last response: in PC Gaming
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 4:18:34 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

Hi,

I seem to recall that last year there was an engine that was greatly
hyped, which claimed it played a very human-like (though not extremely
strong) game.

Does anybody recall the name of the engine, or where it can be found?
Also, does it work with the fritz interface, or some other?

Thanks,
Quad

More about : engines play human chess

Anonymous
May 3, 2005 7:44:41 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

quadriplegic_leprechaun wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I seem to recall that last year there was an engine that was greatly
> hyped, which claimed it played a very human-like (though not extremely
> strong) game.
>
> Does anybody recall the name of the engine, or where it can be found?
> Also, does it work with the fritz interface, or some other?
>
> Thanks,
> Quad
>

Rebel
May 4, 2005 1:25:11 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

"quadriplegic_leprechaun" <quadriplegic_leprechaun@ukonline.co.uk>
wrote in rec.games.chess.computer:

> I seem to recall that last year there was an engine that was
> greatly hyped, which claimed it played a very human-like (though
> not extremely strong) game.
>
> Does anybody recall the name of the engine, or where it can be
> found? Also, does it work with the fritz interface, or some
> other?



http://members.home.nl/matador/prodeo.htm

--
CeeBee

"Eppur si muove!"
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 1:25:12 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

On 3 May 2005 21:25:11 GMT, CeeBee wrote:

> "quadriplegic_leprechaun" <quadriplegic_leprechaun@ukonline.co.uk>
> wrote in rec.games.chess.computer:
>
>> I seem to recall that last year there was an engine that was
>> greatly hyped, which claimed it played a very human-like (though
>> not extremely strong) game.
>>
>> Does anybody recall the name of the engine, or where it can be
>> found? Also, does it work with the fritz interface, or some
>> other?
>
>
>
> http://members.home.nl/matador/prodeo.htm

Yes, now known as Pro Deo and FREE!, thanks Ed!
--
Chet Marino
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 6:03:59 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

Thanks, I will try the engine out.

Are there any other engines which play a very human-like game? I am not
interested in having a very strong elo, just a fun and challenging game.
May 4, 2005 3:47:12 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

quadriplegic_leprechaun wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I seem to recall that last year there was an engine that was greatly
> hyped, which claimed it played a very human-like (though not extremely
> strong) game.
>
> Does anybody recall the name of the engine, or where it can be found?
> Also, does it work with the fritz interface, or some other?
>
> Thanks,
> Quad

You might be thinking of Chess System Tal from years ago. Google it, but
here's one link:

http://www.thorstenczub.de/cst_f_v.html
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 12:51:14 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

quadriplegic_leprechaun wrote:
> Thanks, I will try the engine out.
>
> Are there any other engines which play a very human-like game? I am not
> interested in having a very strong elo, just a fun and challenging game.
>

Delfi is another you might be interested in.

http://www.msbsoftware.it/delfi/

"Delfi is a Winboard chess engine, designed to emulate the human chess
play. Delfi was written to achieve a good positional play (example: it
cares about good and bad bishops) but currently it's much stronger at
tactics."
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 6:10:22 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

On 4 May 2005 02:03:59 -0700, "quadriplegic_leprechaun"
<quadriplegic_leprechaun@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:

>Thanks, I will try the engine out.
>
>Are there any other engines which play a very human-like game? I am not
>interested in having a very strong elo, just a fun and challenging game.


Chess System Tal

HIARCS 9

MChess Pro 8.0

Gothmog

just to mention a few
May 16, 2005 12:12:01 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

On Sat, 14 May 2005 23:10:22 -0700, SW wrote:

> On 4 May 2005 02:03:59 -0700, "quadriplegic_leprechaun"
> <quadriplegic_leprechaun@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Thanks, I will try the engine out.
>>
>>Are there any other engines which play a very human-like game? I am not
>>interested in having a very strong elo, just a fun and challenging game.
>
>
> Chess System Tal
>
> HIARCS 9
>
> MChess Pro 8.0
>
> Gothmog
>
> just to mention a few

I use ChessMaster 10k, I like the way you can change the way it plays.
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 5:27:31 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

On Sun, 15 May 2005 20:12:01 GMT, me <me@localhost.localdomain> wrote:

>On Sat, 14 May 2005 23:10:22 -0700, SW wrote:
>
>> On 4 May 2005 02:03:59 -0700, "quadriplegic_leprechaun"
>> <quadriplegic_leprechaun@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>Thanks, I will try the engine out.
>>>
>>>Are there any other engines which play a very human-like game? I am not
>>>interested in having a very strong elo, just a fun and challenging game.
>>
>>
>> Chess System Tal
>>
>> HIARCS 9
>>
>> MChess Pro 8.0
>>
>> Gothmog
>>
>> just to mention a few
>
>I use ChessMaster 10k, I like the way you can change the way it plays.

yes, that is a good 1 too