Annoying "Waves plug-ins" pop-up boxes

Last response: in Home Audio
September 7, 2005 9:43:29 PM

After a few weeks away from home, I've returned to find a strange
problem.

I have a bunch of fan videos I've downloaded over the years, and
they've rarely given me any trouble. Now a select few are behaving
VERY strangely.

When I try to open them, I get a pop-up box that says:

This is a DEMO VERSION of Waves Plug-Ins
It will allow you to preview up to 15 seconds of music

On each Plug-In the Output level control has been disabled
The corresponding control's title is DISABLED

Offline line process is disabled

[OK]

So, I click [OK]. Then, it pops up again. And Again. About a dozen
times in a row. THEN I can watch the video. The one I just opened so
I could read/type the info is an .AVI file with a Bit Rate of 192bps.
It's compressed with DivX.

I tried uninstalling/re-installing my copy of Sound Forge 6.0e, but
that didn't change things. I have other DivX vids that don't give me
this trouble. In fact, I can find no pattern to this glitch.

I cannot find anything on the Remove Programs section of my Windows XP
control panel.

I've even tried searching the registry, but with no luck.

Anyone else seen this/know a solution? Hey, I'm desperate enough that
I'll even pay whichever website that wants a registration fee just to
get this to stop. Unfortunately, it's frustratingly vague about it's
origins beyond the title, "Waves Plug-Ins."

Any assitance would be greatly appreciated!

Dennis
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 11:38:23 AM

On 7 Sep 2005 17:43:29 -0700, doctor9@fflax.com wrote:

>After a few weeks away from home, I've returned to find a strange
>problem.
>
>I have a bunch of fan videos I've downloaded over the years, and
>they've rarely given me any trouble. Now a select few are behaving
>VERY strangely.
>
>When I try to open them, I get a pop-up box that says:
>
>This is a DEMO VERSION of Waves Plug-Ins
>It will allow you to preview up to 15 seconds of music
>
>On each Plug-In the Output level control has been disabled
>The corresponding control's title is DISABLED
>
>Offline line process is disabled
>
>[OK]
>
>So, I click [OK]. Then, it pops up again. And Again. About a dozen
>times in a row. THEN I can watch the video. The one I just opened so
>I could read/type the info is an .AVI file with a Bit Rate of 192bps.
>It's compressed with DivX.
>
>I tried uninstalling/re-installing my copy of Sound Forge 6.0e, but
>that didn't change things. I have other DivX vids that don't give me
>this trouble. In fact, I can find no pattern to this glitch.
>
>I cannot find anything on the Remove Programs section of my Windows XP
>control panel.
>
>I've even tried searching the registry, but with no luck.
>
>Anyone else seen this/know a solution? Hey, I'm desperate enough that
>I'll even pay whichever website that wants a registration fee just to
>get this to stop. Unfortunately, it's frustratingly vague about it's
>origins beyond the title, "Waves Plug-Ins."
>
>Any assitance would be greatly appreciated!
>
>Dennis

-- What program do you use for viewing these videos? -- Audio and
video editing programs usually search for any Direct-X (and some
search for VST) plug-ins while loading. So it turns to that on your
PC, you have a demo Waves plug-in suite installed and while loading,
they present theirselves by those pop-ups. And since there are many,
so are the pop-ups. It is not the Sound Forge.

You have to search and find some directory (folder, allright), called
Waves and see whether there is an uninstaller to get rid of the demos.

Or, you can watch the videos in, say, Windows Media Player.

Edi Zubovic, Crikvenica, Croatia
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 2:01:56 AM

Edi Zubovic wrote:
> On 7 Sep 2005 17:43:29 -0700, doctor9@fflax.com wrote:
>

> -- What program do you use for viewing these videos? --

Windows Media Player... whichever version is latest.

> It is not the Sound Forge.

Drat, I was hoping it was some sort of plug-in that came with SF.

> You have to search and find some directory (folder, allright), called
> Waves and see whether there is an uninstaller to get rid of the demos.
>
> Or, you can watch the videos in, say, Windows Media Player.

Sigh. That's the player I use that causes the pop-ups.

Further searching of Usenet, I see one other guy who had the exact same
symptoms years ago, but he got no replies to his question.

Guess I'll keep digging.

Dennis
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 2:50:54 PM

On 14 Sep 2005 22:01:56 -0700, doctor9@fflax.com wrote:

>Edi Zubovic wrote:
>> On 7 Sep 2005 17:43:29 -0700, doctor9@fflax.com wrote:
>>

>> -- What program do you use for viewing these videos? --
>
>Windows Media Player... whichever version is latest.

Strange -- it shouldn't be sweeping hard drives to find any DX or VST
plug-ins.
>> It is not the Sound Forge.
>
>Drat, I was hoping it was some sort of plug-in that came with SF.

No, Sonic Foundry/Sony Sound Forge adds their own plug-ins only.

>> You have to search and find some directory (folder, allright), called
>> Waves and see whether there is an uninstaller to get rid of the demos.
>>
>> Or, you can watch the videos in, say, Windows Media Player.
>
>Sigh. That's the player I use that causes the pop-ups.

Is it possible that once there were Waves plug-ins installed and
deleted so their remnants are still in the registry. But still, have
you checked your hard drive(s) thoroughly to ensure there are really
no Waves plug-ins? Any third-party plug-ins in the Media Player?
Otherwise I don't know how Waves demo screens would pop up in the
Media Player -- exept if it was a very special version having very
special bugs :) )

>Further searching of Usenet, I see one other guy who had the exact same
>symptoms years ago, but he got no replies to his question.
>
>Guess I'll keep digging.

I wish you success.

!