Who makes the best IDE Hard Drive?

Craig_Johnson

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2003
Your opinion counts! I want to know which manufacturer (on average) makes the most reliable hard drive. I don't care about the biggest, the fastest, the smallest, laptop, scsi or external. Lets just stick to the basics at this point, internal desktop IDE drives. Who do you think makes the most reliable drive? I have my assumptions, how would you rank the top 5? Here are mine - 1. Maxtor, 2. Hitachi (IBM) 3. Segate 4. Fujitsu 5. Western Digital 6. Samsung
What do you think? (Lets try to base the list on actual experience, OK?)

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
1: Western Digital (have had many WDs, never had one crash)
2: Seagate (had one, didn't crash)
3: Hitachi (IBM) (had 2, never really crashed, just needed occasional reformatting)
4: Fujitsu (had one, same as the Hitachi)
5: Samsung (never had one, never crashed)
6+: Maxtor (have had 6, 4 crashed beyond repair in less than a month, the other took 40some days, the last one still works, but the warranty ran out about a week ago, so i'll see how much longer it lasts).

smitbret

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
Here's how I would rank mine from personal experience and from what I've gleaned:

1-Seagate. I've owned four, had to have one RMA'd because it wouldn't come out of PIO mode. Replaced in a jiff, lost no data.

2-Western Digital. I've owned four. One died when it was about 4 years old. Lost nothing important.

3-Maxtor. Owned 3. One died at abour three years. Sold the other two on eBay.

4-Hitachi (IBM). Owned six. Never had a bad one, but the Deskstar problem has really killed their reputation.

5-Fujitsu. Owned one. It died at about two years, while being replaced and reinstallation. Didn't drop it, it just didn't work when I reinstalled it as a slave.

6-Samsung. Had one, died at three days.

Keep in mind, this is just reliability. If I rank them according to reliability plus performance, then the rankings change. Good luck.
-Brettster

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Reliability
1 - IBM - never had one die on me
1 - WD - never had one die on me
1 - Seagate - never had one die on me
5 - Maxtor - never had one
1 - Fujitsu - have one burned by myself, otherwize they live long and happy life.

basically i am good with any drive, or drives just like me ;)

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm overqualified to answer this one, because I'm a system refurbisher and have had dozens or more of each drive!

Maxtor failure rate after around 5 years: 20%
WD failure rate after around 5 years: 30%
Seagate failure rate after around 5 years: 35%
Quantum failure rate after around 5 years: 40%
Fujitsu failure rate after around 5 years: 40%

I didn't include IBM. Why? I've never HAD an IBM fail, but I've never owned one of the newer IBM's that are notorious for failing!

One thing I'd like to say about WD: Every replacement drive I've gotten from them has been refurbished and failed withing 90 days of the warranty ending. Example: 1 year left on waranty, fails 1 year +90 days after I get it. 1 month left on warranty, fails 1 month +90 days after I get it. I've speculated that they have a timer in BIOS that says "quit responding on this date".

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hehe, fella, you talking 5 yearz? heck, if i would hold the drive for 5 years, it would become antique item, just like PC it is going to stay in, geeez, 5 years, newer drives will not live that long, they are much faster, so wearing out quicker, heh

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Simple math: Computers are usually retired after 3 years in an office. A refurbisher buys them bulk and sells them as used systems. The new buyer usually keeps them at least 2 years. Without warehousing, etc, you're already looking at 5 years!

If you were to hold the drive for 5 years? No, if you were to USE the drive for 5 years! Did you know that most SCSI drives are WARRANTIED for 5 years?

5 years ago, 8.4GB was the common "big" size, just like 80GB is the common "big" size now. As in, the most common size advertized by computer manufacturers. If you had an 8.4GB drive suddenly fail, you should at least be disappointed that you didn't have warning, even though you did expect it to fail "sooner or later"

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>