Chess Server Software - Any Free?

Hi:
I am developing a website (for free) for my local chess club. I would
like to have the ability for members of the chess club to play against
each other online.

Does anyone know of any way for members to play each other live from my
web server (I have a hosted site that offers MySQL databases and PHP 4
and 5. I understand that members could go to a free site and try to
find each other to play, but I'd like to make it easy for them.
Thanks for any help or leads.
Matthew
2 answers Last reply
More about chess server software free
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    Matthew <Matthew@apluscomputerpro.com> wrote:
    > I am developing a website (for free) for my local chess club. I would
    > like to have the ability for members of the chess club to play against
    > each other online. [...] I understand that members could go to a free
    > site and try to find each other to play, but I'd like to make it easy
    > for them.

    The chances of two members of the club being online at the same time are
    probably small enough that they'd need to pre-arrange a time for the game,
    anyway. If this is the case, it's not much harder for them to agree to be
    on one of the existing free chess servers at that time.

    I believe that some (fairly ancient) versions of the FICS server code are
    available at

    ftp://ftp.freechess.org/pub/chess/Unix/

    if that's any use to you.

    Dave.

    --
    David Richerby Transparent Sumerian Toy (TM): it's
    www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ like a fun child's toy that's really

    Matthew <Matthew@apluscomputerpro.com> wrote in
    rec.games.chess.computer:

    http://www.beholder.co.uk/chess/board.html