ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
I am looking to build an Athlon 64 system in the next couple of months but I am wondering whether to buy the memory for that system now.Last week there was an article in The Inquirer which suggested that DRAM prices may rise in October-is this likely?If so, would it therefore be wise to buy now?
I am probably going to buy one 512mb stick of Twinmos PC3700 to give me overclocking headroom.

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
RAM prices go in cycles, rising and falling. If it goes up, don't worry, it will go down. And over long periods of time it goes down more than it goes up. Something like 3 years ago, 256MB PC133 cost $128. Something like 3 years before that, 128MB of EDO memory cost around $128. And probably around 3 years before that, 64MB of FPM memory cost...around $128.

If you shop around you'll probably find 512MB modules of PC3200 somewhere for around $128! And if you wait 3 years....you get the idea. Rising prices are temporary.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>