Chess for Money.

Last response: in Video Games
Share
May 19, 2005 9:54:08 PM

Hello chess players,

I was wondering if there is an Internet Website that i can play chess
against other members for real money.

Do you know of one?

More about : chess money

Anonymous
May 19, 2005 9:54:09 PM

Why in the world would you want to do this? Any chess site where playing for
money is involved would simply be a contest of who has the best chess
playing software. Cheating would be rampant.

"Nikos" <hackeras@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello chess players,
>
> I was wondering if there is an Internet Website that i can play chess
> against other members for real money.
>
> Do you know of one?

Anonymous
May 19, 2005 9:54:09 PM

Nikos is absolutely correct. At playchess.com (ChessBase's server) they
hold regular tournaments in which money may be won.

People (c)heat, but they also get caught. It's a risk, apparently,
which some folks are prepared to take.

Mark
May 19, 2005 9:54:09 PM

www.playchess.com is one, but you do have to buy a recent version of
Fritz/Shredder/HIARCS/... to be able to connect. Note, too, that the
server allows premoving, which means that essentially one is playing a
chess variant in which people who lag get a distinct advantage, and it
also means that a carefully-chosen string of premoves enables one to
play an entire forcing sequence without using any time on the clock.
People with excessive lag are allowed to play even in 3 0 tournaments,
which seems to me to be pretty stupid, but it's ChessBase's server, and
of course they may run it however they please. The admins are all
first-rate.

Cheers,
Mark
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 9:54:09 PM

>Can i play for money any time i wish by seekign an opponent?

I've never used it, but evidently, like ICC's "chekels", playchess has
its own currency, called "Ducats". IIRC 1 Ducat=0.1 Euros (i.e. 10
cents). You can seek games against lower-rated players, stipulating
that they must pay you n Ducats before you will play. AFAIK there's no
ongoing games-for-money facility, although of course you could come to
some arrangement with specific opponents on *any* server, providing
that that opponent is trustworthy.
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 12:53:40 AM

What would prevent anyone from using a computer?

Then it becomes a question of who has the fastest and most powerfull
computer and software...

John
"Nikos" <hackeras@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello chess players,
>
> I was wondering if there is an Internet Website that i can play chess
> against other members for real money.
>
> Do you know of one?

May 20, 2005 1:10:50 AM

"John J." <detectorist@hotmail.com> wrote in news:o 17je.52232$IO.7318
@tornado.tampabay.rr.com:

> What would prevent anyone from using a computer?
>
> Then it becomes a question of who has the fastest and most powerfull
> computer and software...

Well the playing/paying site must have some cheating detection method, to
prevent cheating, excatly like ICC has.

In the ICC one cannot cheat or if he is he would get cought immediately.

Same would apply to the competing playing iste.

--
What is now proved was once only imagined!
May 20, 2005 1:24:21 AM

"Mark Houlsby" <mark.houlsby@eudoramail.com> wrote in

> Nikos is absolutely correct. At playchess.com (ChessBase's server) they
> hold regular tournaments in which money may be won.
>
> People (c)heat, but they also get caught. It's a risk, apparently,
> which some folks are prepared to take.
>
> Mark

Thank you Mark.
Do you happen to know a website that one can play without having to pay for
membership or wait for paying upcoming tournaments?

I wish to play against other opponents for money any time of a day that i
feel like it :-)

--
What is now proved was once only imagined!
May 20, 2005 1:33:51 AM

> www.playchess.com is one, but you do have to buy a recent version of
> Fritz/Shredder/HIARCS/... to be able to connect. Note, too, that the
> server allows premoving, which means that essentially one is playing a
> chess variant in which people who lag get a distinct advantage, and it
> also means that a carefully-chosen string of premoves enables one to
> play an entire forcing sequence without using any time on the clock.
> People with excessive lag are allowed to play even in 3 0 tournaments,
> which seems to me to be pretty stupid, but it's ChessBase's server, and
> of course they may run it however they please. The admins are all
> first-rate.
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

Can i play for money any time i wish by seekign an opponent?

I want something like ICC but with betting in each match.

--
What is now proved was once only imagined!
May 20, 2005 1:51:04 AM

>>Can i play for money any time i wish by seekign an opponent?
>
> I've never used it, but evidently, like ICC's "chekels", playchess has
> its own currency, called "Ducats". IIRC 1 Ducat=0.1 Euros (i.e. 10
> cents). You can seek games against lower-rated players, stipulating
> that they must pay you n Ducats before you will play. AFAIK there's no
> ongoing games-for-money facility, although of course you could come to
> some arrangement with specific opponents on *any* server, providing
> that that opponent is trustworthy.

Yes but maybe the opponent at first maybe he aggress to pay but hen if he
loses he wont.

Some automatic system must make the money dealing procedure to avoid
stealing because we really have no way to know if an unknown opponent is
trustworthy or not.

--
What is now proved was once only imagined!
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 11:06:25 AM

>If the person has a second computer or a handheld chess device
there is no way to detect cheating.

That's not entirely true. For example, if a player is cheating so
blatantly that they consistently pick the top move in Pocket Fritz 2's
list, that's a bit of a giveaway. Also, if a 1200 player's endgame
technique perfectly matches tablebases (yes, I've played probably
dozens of such opponents online) then that, too, is a bit of a
giveaway....
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 1:40:11 PM

ICC and any other chess server can only detect cheating if the person is
using Fritz/Shredder etc. on the same machine he's using to connect to ICC
or PlayChess. If the person has a second computer or a handheld chess device

> "John J." <detectorist@hotmail.com> wrote in news:o 17je.52232$IO.7318
> @tornado.tampabay.rr.com:
>
>> What would prevent anyone from using a computer?
>>
>> Then it becomes a question of who has the fastest and most powerfull
>> computer and software...
>
> Well the playing/paying site must have some cheating detection method, to
> prevent cheating, excatly like ICC has.
>
> In the ICC one cannot cheat or if he is he would get cought immediately.
>
> Same would apply to the competing playing iste.
>
> --
> What is now proved was once only imagined!
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 1:22:04 PM

--
Aaron Deskins
Graduate Student

Not to change to the topic- but why turn chess into a potential money
earning game? That's the problem with tournament chess these days here
in the US- entry fees are so outrageous that the 'average' player has no
incentive to play tournament chess or join the USCF. This just leads to
a steady declining population of dues-paying federation members.

--
Aaron Deskins
Graduate Student

Aaron Deskins <ndeskins@ecn.purdue.edu> wrote in news:D 6ngag$thb$2
@mailhub227.itcs.purdue.edu:

> Not to change to the topic- but why turn chess into a potential money
> earning game? That's the problem with tournament chess these days here
> in the US- entry fees are so outrageous that the 'average' player has no
> incentive to play tournament chess or join the USCF. This just leads to
> a steady declining population of dues-paying federation members.

Well i want to make some money out of it.

--
What is now proved was once only imagined!
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 8:14:27 PM

Nikos Wrote:
> Aaron Deskins ndeskins@ecn.purdue.edu wrote in news:D 6ngag$thb$2
> @mailhub227.itcs.purdue.edu:
> -
> Not to change to the topic- but why turn chess into a potential money
> earning game? That's the problem with tournament chess these days
> here
> in the US- entry fees are so outrageous that the 'average' player has
> no
> incentive to play tournament chess or join the USCF. This just leads
> a steady declining population of dues-paying federation members.-
>
> Well i want to make some money out of it.
>

> --
> What is now proved was once only imagined!

Anyone playing Internet chess for money is just proving the old adage
true: "A fool and his money are soon parted". You can't detect cheating
on a secondary computer, and even if moves DID match the top moves
chosen by Fritz or any other of many good programs, that, in itself can
never prove actual cheating. If you want to play chess for fast cash,
set up a board at a park with the other chess hustlers.

--
Forking Knight
June 7, 2005 3:51:12 AM

Forking Knight wrote:

> Anyone playing Internet chess for money is just proving the old adage
> true: "A fool and his money are soon parted". You can't detect cheating
> on a secondary computer, and even if moves DID match the top moves
> chosen by Fritz or any other of many good programs, that, in itself can
> never prove actual cheating. If you want to play chess for fast cash,
> set up a board at a park with the other chess hustlers.

Well if i was living in New York i should would but here in Greece we
dont have park chess players, living me the Net as only chance. :-)

--
What is now proved was once only imagined!
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 1:12:22 AM

Cheats do it just for imaginary rating points on ICC. I would shudder to
think what a den of thieves we'd have if there were a chess-gambling site.
You must have drunk too much fermented squid eye soup when you posted that.

"Aaron Deskins" <ndeskins@ecn.purdue.edu> wrote in message
news:D 6ng6d$thb$1@mailhub227.itcs.purdue.edu...
> Amos J. Soma wrote:
>> Why in the world would you want to do this? Any chess site where playing
>> for money is involved would simply be a contest of who has the best chess
>> playing software. Cheating would be rampant.
>>
>> "Nikos" <hackeras@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Hello chess players,
>>>
>>>I was wondering if there is an Internet Website that i can play chess
>>>against other members for real money.
>>>
>>>Do you know of one?
>>>

> --
> Aaron Deskins
> Graduate Student
> Chemical Engineering
> Purdue University
June 10, 2005 12:07:24 AM

Angelo DePalma wrote:
> Cheats do it just for imaginary rating points on ICC. I would shudder to
> think what a den of thieves we'd have if there were a chess-gambling site.
> You must have drunk too much fermented squid eye soup when you posted that.

Whats the fermented squid eye soup?

--
What is now proved was once only imagined!
!