Chess for Money.

Hello chess players,

I was wondering if there is an Internet Website that i can play chess
against other members for real money.

Do you know of one?
18 answers Last reply
More about chess money
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    Why in the world would you want to do this? Any chess site where playing for
    money is involved would simply be a contest of who has the best chess
    playing software. Cheating would be rampant.

    "Nikos" <hackeras@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hello chess players,
    >
    > I was wondering if there is an Internet Website that i can play chess
    > against other members for real money.
    >
    > Do you know of one?

  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    Nikos is absolutely correct. At playchess.com (ChessBase's server) they
    hold regular tournaments in which money may be won.

    People (c)heat, but they also get caught. It's a risk, apparently,
    which some folks are prepared to take.

    Mark
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    www.playchess.com is one, but you do have to buy a recent version of
    Fritz/Shredder/HIARCS/... to be able to connect. Note, too, that the
    server allows premoving, which means that essentially one is playing a
    chess variant in which people who lag get a distinct advantage, and it
    also means that a carefully-chosen string of premoves enables one to
    play an entire forcing sequence without using any time on the clock.
    People with excessive lag are allowed to play even in 3 0 tournaments,
    which seems to me to be pretty stupid, but it's ChessBase's server, and
    of course they may run it however they please. The admins are all
    first-rate.

    Cheers,
    Mark
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    >Can i play for money any time i wish by seekign an opponent?

    I've never used it, but evidently, like ICC's "chekels", playchess has
    its own currency, called "Ducats". IIRC 1 Ducat=0.1 Euros (i.e. 10
    cents). You can seek games against lower-rated players, stipulating
    that they must pay you n Ducats before you will play. AFAIK there's no
    ongoing games-for-money facility, although of course you could come to
    some arrangement with specific opponents on *any* server, providing
    that that opponent is trustworthy.
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    What would prevent anyone from using a computer?

    Then it becomes a question of who has the fastest and most powerfull
    computer and software...

    John
    "Nikos" <hackeras@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hello chess players,
    >
    > I was wondering if there is an Internet Website that i can play chess
    > against other members for real money.
    >
    > Do you know of one?

  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    "John J." <detectorist@hotmail.com> wrote in news:o17je.52232$IO.7318
    @tornado.tampabay.rr.com:

    > What would prevent anyone from using a computer?
    >
    > Then it becomes a question of who has the fastest and most powerfull
    > computer and software...

    Well the playing/paying site must have some cheating detection method, to
    prevent cheating, excatly like ICC has.

    In the ICC one cannot cheat or if he is he would get cought immediately.

    Same would apply to the competing playing iste.

    --
    What is now proved was once only imagined!
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    "Mark Houlsby" <mark.houlsby@eudoramail.com> wrote in

    > Nikos is absolutely correct. At playchess.com (ChessBase's server) they
    > hold regular tournaments in which money may be won.
    >
    > People (c)heat, but they also get caught. It's a risk, apparently,
    > which some folks are prepared to take.
    >
    > Mark

    Thank you Mark.
    Do you happen to know a website that one can play without having to pay for
    membership or wait for paying upcoming tournaments?

    I wish to play against other opponents for money any time of a day that i
    feel like it :-)

    --
    What is now proved was once only imagined!
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    > www.playchess.com is one, but you do have to buy a recent version of
    > Fritz/Shredder/HIARCS/... to be able to connect. Note, too, that the
    > server allows premoving, which means that essentially one is playing a
    > chess variant in which people who lag get a distinct advantage, and it
    > also means that a carefully-chosen string of premoves enables one to
    > play an entire forcing sequence without using any time on the clock.
    > People with excessive lag are allowed to play even in 3 0 tournaments,
    > which seems to me to be pretty stupid, but it's ChessBase's server, and
    > of course they may run it however they please. The admins are all
    > first-rate.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Mark

    Can i play for money any time i wish by seekign an opponent?

    I want something like ICC but with betting in each match.

    --
    What is now proved was once only imagined!
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    >>Can i play for money any time i wish by seekign an opponent?
    >
    > I've never used it, but evidently, like ICC's "chekels", playchess has
    > its own currency, called "Ducats". IIRC 1 Ducat=0.1 Euros (i.e. 10
    > cents). You can seek games against lower-rated players, stipulating
    > that they must pay you n Ducats before you will play. AFAIK there's no
    > ongoing games-for-money facility, although of course you could come to
    > some arrangement with specific opponents on *any* server, providing
    > that that opponent is trustworthy.

    Yes but maybe the opponent at first maybe he aggress to pay but hen if he
    loses he wont.

    Some automatic system must make the money dealing procedure to avoid
    stealing because we really have no way to know if an unknown opponent is
    trustworthy or not.

    --
    What is now proved was once only imagined!
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    >If the person has a second computer or a handheld chess device
    there is no way to detect cheating.

    That's not entirely true. For example, if a player is cheating so
    blatantly that they consistently pick the top move in Pocket Fritz 2's
    list, that's a bit of a giveaway. Also, if a 1200 player's endgame
    technique perfectly matches tablebases (yes, I've played probably
    dozens of such opponents online) then that, too, is a bit of a
    giveaway....
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    ICC and any other chess server can only detect cheating if the person is
    using Fritz/Shredder etc. on the same machine he's using to connect to ICC
    or PlayChess. If the person has a second computer or a handheld chess device

    > "John J." <detectorist@hotmail.com> wrote in news:o17je.52232$IO.7318
    > @tornado.tampabay.rr.com:
    >
    >> What would prevent anyone from using a computer?
    >>
    >> Then it becomes a question of who has the fastest and most powerfull
    >> computer and software...
    >
    > Well the playing/paying site must have some cheating detection method, to
    > prevent cheating, excatly like ICC has.
    >
    > In the ICC one cannot cheat or if he is he would get cought immediately.
    >
    > Same would apply to the competing playing iste.
    >
    > --
    > What is now proved was once only imagined!
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    --
    Aaron Deskins
    Graduate Student

    Not to change to the topic- but why turn chess into a potential money
    earning game? That's the problem with tournament chess these days here
    in the US- entry fees are so outrageous that the 'average' player has no
    incentive to play tournament chess or join the USCF. This just leads to
    a steady declining population of dues-paying federation members.

    --
    Aaron Deskins
    Graduate Student

    Aaron Deskins <ndeskins@ecn.purdue.edu> wrote in news:d6ngag$thb$2
    @mailhub227.itcs.purdue.edu:

    > Not to change to the topic- but why turn chess into a potential money
    > earning game? That's the problem with tournament chess these days here
    > in the US- entry fees are so outrageous that the 'average' player has no
    > incentive to play tournament chess or join the USCF. This just leads to
    > a steady declining population of dues-paying federation members.

    Well i want to make some money out of it.

    --
    What is now proved was once only imagined!
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    Nikos Wrote:
    > Aaron Deskins ndeskins@ecn.purdue.edu wrote in news:d6ngag$thb$2
    > @mailhub227.itcs.purdue.edu:
    > -
    > Not to change to the topic- but why turn chess into a potential money
    > earning game? That's the problem with tournament chess these days
    > here
    > in the US- entry fees are so outrageous that the 'average' player has
    > no
    > incentive to play tournament chess or join the USCF. This just leads
    > a steady declining population of dues-paying federation members.-
    >
    > Well i want to make some money out of it.
    >

    > --
    > What is now proved was once only imagined!

    Anyone playing Internet chess for money is just proving the old adage
    true: "A fool and his money are soon parted". You can't detect cheating
    on a secondary computer, and even if moves DID match the top moves
    chosen by Fritz or any other of many good programs, that, in itself can
    never prove actual cheating. If you want to play chess for fast cash,
    set up a board at a park with the other chess hustlers.

    --
    Forking Knight
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    Forking Knight wrote:

    > Anyone playing Internet chess for money is just proving the old adage
    > true: "A fool and his money are soon parted". You can't detect cheating
    > on a secondary computer, and even if moves DID match the top moves
    > chosen by Fritz or any other of many good programs, that, in itself can
    > never prove actual cheating. If you want to play chess for fast cash,
    > set up a board at a park with the other chess hustlers.

    Well if i was living in New York i should would but here in Greece we
    dont have park chess players, living me the Net as only chance. :-)

    --
    What is now proved was once only imagined!
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    Cheats do it just for imaginary rating points on ICC. I would shudder to
    think what a den of thieves we'd have if there were a chess-gambling site.
    You must have drunk too much fermented squid eye soup when you posted that.

    "Aaron Deskins" <ndeskins@ecn.purdue.edu> wrote in message
    > Amos J. Soma wrote:
    >> Why in the world would you want to do this? Any chess site where playing
    >> for money is involved would simply be a contest of who has the best chess
    >> playing software. Cheating would be rampant.
    >>
    >> "Nikos" <hackeras@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Hello chess players,
    >>>
    >>>I was wondering if there is an Internet Website that i can play chess
    >>>against other members for real money.
    >>>
    >>>Do you know of one?
    >>>

    > --
    > Aaron Deskins
    > Graduate Student
    > Chemical Engineering
    > Purdue University
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    Angelo DePalma wrote:
    > Cheats do it just for imaginary rating points on ICC. I would shudder to
    > think what a den of thieves we'd have if there were a chess-gambling site.
    > You must have drunk too much fermented squid eye soup when you posted that.

    Whats the fermented squid eye soup?

    --
    What is now proved was once only imagined!

PC gaming Computers Games Internet Video Games