Opinions needed... how does this mix sound?

Last response: in Home Audio
September 9, 2005 9:38:56 PM

Hi all,

I'm guessing some of you have been there before: You start recording your
band's material. Aspirations go from recording "just a demo" to trying to
produce a professional-sounding album for sale and promotion. You spend way
too many hours laying down the tracks only to be left wondering: now how
the hell am I going to mix all of this?!

I think I finally made it out alive. More hours mixing and listening and
remixing and listening than I'd care to admit, but I think the CD is finally
"close." Well, it's close whether I want it to be or not; we're taking it
to get mastered in the next week or two.

Which (finally) leaves me with a favor to ask anyone with some time to lend
their golden ears: I put some tracks online to hopefully get some feedback,
mixing wise. I added some light limiting to tame the peaks, so the file we
send to get mastered would be about 3-4db quieter. Any comments or
suggestions would be great. Even harsh criticism is appreciated as long as
I get something out of it. Anything I learn from these mixes will make the
next batch all the better.

These are the two tracks we'll use for promotion. First is a hard-hitting
opener track, second is more mid tempo.

http://www.fortheffect.erhnet.com/dig.mp3
http://www.fortheffect.erhnet.com/orbit.mp3

A big thanks in advance to anyone who takes a listen. I feel like this
group is the "friend" I only come to when I need something, but if the time
ever comes where I feel proficient enough to give advice I can hopefully
give something back. Until then, I'm thankful there are so many
knowledgeable souls who contribute and fill my google searches with
meaningful results.

Thanks again,

Paul Drydyk
Anonymous
September 9, 2005 9:38:57 PM

Paul,
The drums, especially the snare is to loud for my taste. It steps on
the vocal way to often. Nice drum work, but I would back it off a bit
and edit where it steps on the vocal. Other than that I say job well
done. I like the song too. :>)

DaveT
Anonymous
September 9, 2005 9:38:57 PM

Paul,
I was refering to the first song, "Dig".
DT
September 10, 2005 6:21:25 PM

On 9 Sep 2005 13:30:37 -0700, psychodave.thomas@gmail.com wrote:

>The drums, especially the snare is to loud for my taste. It steps on
>the vocal way to often. Nice drum work, but I would back it off a bit
>and edit where it steps on the vocal. Other than that I say job well
>done. I like the song too. :>)

Yeah. The drummer is fighting with the singer. Were they recorded
separately? It's hard to believe he was hearing and reacting to the
vocals.

I'd lose at least half of the intro. The first phrase is repeated
four times, the next four twice. Once would have been plenty for
each. None for one of them maybe even better. And does the
"twittering" fade-in really mean anything?
Anonymous
September 11, 2005 11:31:36 PM

Thank you all for the replies. Even our drummer admitted the drums were a
bit too loud in the first song, so I'll tone them down a bit. The static
intro noise is repeated at the end of the CD before a "hidden track", so
it's not completely random.
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 2:31:57 AM

Song one
I guess it depends on what you were going for but I think there are a
few things that I didn't like that would be universal.

I the intro, the guitars completely drowned out the drums at one part.
Through the rest of the song the guitars still drown most of the mix,
burying the lead vocal. I saw the other posts saying the drums kill the
vocal but I think it is the guitar. I think the lead vocal comes across
very thin. You might wish to double it or perhaps use a harmonizer or
some over effect like that to beef it up to a bigger feel.

The end tag of a synth was a bit distracting... for that matter, it was
distracting in the intro and didn't seem to tie into the song.

OK, It looks like I'm ragging on you but I am not. I am pointing out
things I would do according to my taste. I will qualify that again with
the first statement of it depends on what you are going for. There were
lots of good things..

Song two

Cool drum into.
Vocal is a little low for my taste in the beginning but done well.
Through the verses the vocal drowns again. The mix makes it to much
work to listen to the words. I think on both songs you could just drop
the instrument mix down and fix almost everything. I realize that the
style calls for a bit of a buried vocal but I think this is a bit deep.

Keep in mind that I like a vocal on top where it is easy to relate to.
I think that if you make a listener work to hear the vocal you risk
losing their involvement. It's a lot like a stage show with actors
trying to upstage the lead actors roll. You need a main focal point and
each of the instruments in the mix wants to be upstage at all times.
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 9:14:08 AM

Paul Drydyk wrote:

> Thank you all for the replies. Even our drummer admitted the drums were a
> bit too loud in the first song, so I'll tone them down a bit. The static
> intro noise is repeated at the end of the CD before a "hidden track", so
> it's not completely random.

I'd be careful about how much of the drums you
take out.
I agree that the drums are a bit hot but if you
consider that the typical mastering that this type
of music will probably end up with the drums will
get smashed down. Just bring up the vocal/drum
balance a bit. I tried a little peak limiting
and it sounded OK.

rd
September 12, 2005 2:12:57 PM

Hello friend,