CAD Microphones/Ethics question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

I own a CAD E 350. I bought it new at Sam Ash 3-4 years ago... The shock
mount was pretty bad and almost useless because the mike is so heavy. I
tried every which way to re-do the elastic (which I could NEVER figure out
anyway)... I've barely used the mike unless I needed a figure 8 pattern. I
always was able to "manage" it but the shock mount pretty much made that
more than difficult.

Anyway, I emailed CAD today to see if I could get a new shock mount and how
much it would be. She told me the mike had been discontinued but they had
one that would work for $45.00+ $15.00 shipping. Well, I'm in OH and so are
they. I emailed her back and asked "can't you just mail it to me for the 3
bucks and call it a day?"

Well, I realize my question was a futile effort on my part, but do you folks
think I should just get the shock mount for $60.00 or complain more?

The mike really doesn't sound that great to my ears but it has "some"
working place value with the additional patterns. I'm just wondering if that
shock mount is worth it. Of course, someone is bound to say, "if you want to
use the mike get the shockmount".

Thanks for your input.

--
Jeff

http://tinyurl.com/8sz9r

"PRS GEEK" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I own a CAD E 350. I bought it new at Sam Ash 3-4 years ago... The shock
>mount was pretty bad and almost useless because the mike is so heavy. I
>tried every which way to re-do the elastic (which I could NEVER figure out
>anyway)... I've barely used the mike unless I needed a figure 8 pattern. I
>always was able to "manage" it but the shock mount pretty much made that
>more than difficult.
>
> Anyway, I emailed CAD today to see if I could get a new shock mount and
> how much it would be. She told me the mike had been discontinued but they
> had one that would work for $45.00+ $15.00 shipping. Well, I'm in OH and
> so are they. I emailed her back and asked "can't you just mail it to me
> for the 3 bucks and call it a day?"
>
> Well, I realize my question was a futile effort on my part, but do you
> folks think I should just get the shock mount for $60.00 or complain more?
>
> The mike really doesn't sound that great to my ears but it has "some"
> working place value with the additional patterns. I'm just wondering if
> that shock mount is worth it. Of course, someone is bound to say, "if you
> want to use the mike get the shockmount".
>
> Thanks for your input.
>

> --
> Jeff
>
> http://tinyurl.com/8sz9r

Hi Jeff,

The CAD ZM-1G shock mounts for the original E200, E300 and E350 mics work
pretty good if the mic is positioned vertically but yeah, there are some
aspects of the design that could be better. i have two of them, one is
broken, the other works well.

8th Street Music sells the ZM-1G for $90 plus shipping, so $60 total sounds
like a great deal . . .if it is really the same shock mount or better.

Best of luck.
--
John L Rice
Drummer@ImJohn.com

There are "third party" products, mic shock systems that might work as well/better. Have you checked
them out?

--fletch

PRS GEEK wrote On 09/09/05 13:10,:
> I own a CAD E 350. I bought it new at Sam Ash 3-4 years ago... The shock
> mount was pretty bad and almost useless because the mike is so heavy. I
> tried every which way to re-do the elastic (which I could NEVER figure out
> anyway)... I've barely used the mike unless I needed a figure 8 pattern. I
> always was able to "manage" it but the shock mount pretty much made that
> more than difficult.
>
> Anyway, I emailed CAD today to see if I could get a new shock mount and how
> much it would be. She told me the mike had been discontinued but they had
> one that would work for $45.00+ $15.00 shipping. Well, I'm in OH and so are
> they. I emailed her back and asked "can't you just mail it to me for the 3
> bucks and call it a day?"
>
> Well, I realize my question was a futile effort on my part, but do you folks
> think I should just get the shock mount for $60.00 or complain more?
>
> The mike really doesn't sound that great to my ears but it has "some"
> working place value with the additional patterns. I'm just wondering if that
> shock mount is worth it. Of course, someone is bound to say, "if you want to
> use the mike get the shockmount".
>
> Thanks for your input.

Thank you John... That makes me feel better! I appreciate the info...

Jeff