Graffiti 2 -> Graffiti 1 problems

July 27, 2004 11:50:21 PM

Hi,

I've recently discovered salvation from Graffiti 2 at the well known sites
that follow:

http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=5830
PalmInfocenter.com Howto Replace Graffiti 2 with Original Graffiti.

http://users.wpi.edu/~ahecht/palm.html
Zan's Stuff - Palm Stuff Graffiti 1 files

But I can't seem to make it work. I have a Zire 21, a Palm IIIe and a Visor
(OS 3.x). I obviously want to revert to G1 on the Zire 21.

Here are the problems I have with the described process:

1) FileZ 5.3.2 doesn't show the Graffiti Library.prc or Graffiti
Library_enUS.prc on either of my Palm IIIe or Visor. I *have* selected the
ROM files. This prohibits me from beaming them to the Zire 21.

2) I found the backup of the Graffiti 1 files at the second link above, but
I can't transfer them to any of my handhelds with a hotsync because it says
the files are read-only -- I understand this; they're already there in the
ROM; this makes sense! What doesn't make sense is that FileZ doesn't show
them. Why would they be on the web if you can't hot-sync them over?

Is the problem with FileZ? Is there an alternative? Or am I missing
something fundamental.

Regards,

Cris
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 4:38:38 AM

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 19:50:21 -0400, "Christopher Fuhrman"
<fuhrman@videoSANS_SPAMtron.ca> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I've recently discovered salvation from Graffiti 2 at the well known sites
>that follow:
>
>http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=5830
>PalmInfocenter.com Howto Replace Graffiti 2 with Original Graffiti.
>
>http://users.wpi.edu/~ahecht/palm.html
>Zan's Stuff - Palm Stuff Graffiti 1 files
>
>But I can't seem to make it work. I have a Zire 21, a Palm IIIe and a Visor
>(OS 3.x). I obviously want to revert to G1 on the Zire 21.
>
>Here are the problems I have with the described process:
>
>1) FileZ 5.3.2 doesn't show the Graffiti Library.prc or Graffiti
>Library_enUS.prc on either of my Palm IIIe or Visor. I *have* selected the
>ROM files. This prohibits me from beaming them to the Zire 21.
>
>2) I found the backup of the Graffiti 1 files at the second link above, but
>I can't transfer them to any of my handhelds with a hotsync because it says
>the files are read-only -- I understand this; they're already there in the
>ROM; this makes sense! What doesn't make sense is that FileZ doesn't show
>them. Why would they be on the web if you can't hot-sync them over?
>
>Is the problem with FileZ? Is there an alternative? Or am I missing
>something fundamental.

You're missing something fundamental: the files must be copied to your
external Palm memory (SD, I think) first, *not* hot-synched. Then you
copy them from the SD disk to the internal memory using something like
FileZ. Then soft reset.

Worked like a charm on my Clie TH-55.
--
Mike Koenecke
to e-mail, change domain to "alum.haverford.edu"

"Mike Koenecke" <mkoenecke@spamhole.com> wrote in message
news:o btdg0pgu77ole4oh20tfse7tq71dv5ss8@4ax.com...

> You're missing something fundamental: the files must be copied to your
> external Palm memory (SD, I think) first, *not* hot-synched. Then you
> copy them from the SD disk to the internal memory using something like
> FileZ. Then soft reset.

I'm missing something more fundamental than that! My Zire 21 has no external
Palm Memory (that I'm aware of)!

I finally did manage to do it, after much vexation. The solution was with
ZBoxZ and only required the Graffiti files and a few hotsyncs. Here are the
simplest steps I could find:

1) Installed ZBoxZ (http://palmboxer.sourceforge.net/zbluez.zip) on the Zire
21
2) Installed ZBoxZ (http://palmboxer.sourceforge.net/zbz030a.zip) on my
WinXP box (easier said than done, since the install if manual -- you must
follow closely the directions provided at
http://palmboxer.sourceforge.net/QuickStart.txt).
3) On the WinXP system, I "boxed" (i.e., ran WinBox.exe on) both of the
files "Graffiti_Library.PRC" and "Graffiti_Library_enUS.PRC" generating
"Graffiti_Library.PRC.PDB" and "Graffiti_Library_enUS.PRC.PDB" respectively.
4) Put said files in the C:\Palm\YourUser\ToBox\ so that upon next hotsync,
they show up as boxed files in your ZBoxZ application.
5) Performed a hotsync and verified the arrival of those files in ZBoxZ
application on Zire 21. You must carefully follow the install directions at
step 2) above for this to work.
6) From the top level of ZBoxZ, for each file xxx.prc.pdb, I clicked the
Install button, then the InstallDB button. I chose the Replace option when
asked. This yields a file called xxx.prc. Repeat this operation on the
xxx.prc file, and it should no longer be listed (it's in fact placed in the
system as it's original type). [By the way, this operation is actually done
FOUR times, twice for each file].
7) Performed soft reset and had my old pal Graffiti 1 on my Zire 21.

If there's an easier way, I hope it can be found. I got the lead on ZBoxZ
from someone who suggested a much more complicated scenario (involving a ram
disk!) on a forum at
http://www.palminfocenter.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=.... While playing
around with ZBoxZ I realized the ram disk wasn't necessary (it wasn't
working on my Zire 21 anyway).

Cheers,

Cris
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 10:47:36 PM

"Christopher Fuhrman" <fuhrman@videoSANS_SPAMtron.ca> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've recently discovered salvation from Graffiti 2 at the well known sites
> that follow:
>
> http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=5830
> PalmInfocenter.com Howto Replace Graffiti 2 with Original Graffiti.
>
> http://users.wpi.edu/~ahecht/palm.html
> Zan's Stuff - Palm Stuff Graffiti 1 files

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! I am so thankful. I ***HATE*** Graffiti 2.
I have been using it for 6 months now and it still annoys the hell out of
me. Finally, I can use Graffiti. Flawless if you have an external memory
card. Just for the record, this worked on my Sony Clie PEG-TH55. Whew. I am
excstatic!
!