Unable to TS into Xp with MN-700

Hi,

I have a network setup with MN-700 as wireless router/hub.

I have a desktop machine which i have wired to MN-700. I also have my laptop
connected on wireless. I have enabled TS on my desktop.

When i try to use terminal server (TS or mstsc.exe) to connect to desktop
using my laptop, it fails to connect. However I am successful in pinging the
desktop from TS. I have made sure that remote login is possible when the
laptop is wired to mn700 (hence it is not a problem with desktop).
So now the question that remain to be answered is "Is the MN-700 blocking
some/all ports for wireless access? If so, how do i open them?" I tried
finding this information and only think i found was ability to open ports to
outside world (but not within wireless to wired).

Can someone help?
Thanks.
-Chetan
4 answers Last reply
More about unable

    Are you trying to connect to the WAN IP or local IP?

    Are both computers on the LAN side of the MN-700.

    Chetan Nadgouda wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a network setup with MN-700 as wireless router/hub.
    >
    > I have a desktop machine which i have wired to MN-700. I also have my laptop
    > connected on wireless. I have enabled TS on my desktop.
    >
    > When i try to use terminal server (TS or mstsc.exe) to connect to desktop
    > using my laptop, it fails to connect. However I am successful in pinging the
    > desktop from TS. I have made sure that remote login is possible when the
    > laptop is wired to mn700 (hence it is not a problem with desktop).
    > So now the question that remain to be answered is "Is the MN-700 blocking
    > some/all ports for wireless access? If so, how do i open them?" I tried
    > finding this information and only think i found was ability to open ports to
    > outside world (but not within wireless to wired).
    >
    > Can someone help?
    > Thanks.
    > -Chetan

    Both the computers are on LAN side of it. I am trying to connect using
    local ip addresses (192.168.2.xxx)
    I am not sure what's going on here.....

    "joker" <no-spam@netzero.com> wrote in message
    > Are you trying to connect to the WAN IP or local IP?
    >
    > Are both computers on the LAN side of the MN-700.
    >
    > Chetan Nadgouda wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have a network setup with MN-700 as wireless router/hub.
    >>
    >> I have a desktop machine which i have wired to MN-700. I also have my
    >> laptop connected on wireless. I have enabled TS on my desktop.
    >>
    >> When i try to use terminal server (TS or mstsc.exe) to connect to desktop
    >> using my laptop, it fails to connect. However I am successful in pinging
    >> the desktop from TS. I have made sure that remote login is possible when
    >> the laptop is wired to mn700 (hence it is not a problem with desktop).
    >> So now the question that remain to be answered is "Is the MN-700 blocking
    >> some/all ports for wireless access? If so, how do i open them?" I tried
    >> finding this information and only think i found was ability to open ports
    >> to outside world (but not within wireless to wired).
    >>
    >> Can someone help?
    >> Thanks.
    >> -Chetan

    Do you have any software firewalls on either computer enabled/installed?
    Some examples are ICF, Zone Alarm, Black Ice Defender, Norton Internet
    Security, McAfee personal firewall, or PC-cillin.

    Chetan Nadgouda wrote:

    > Both the computers are on LAN side of it. I am trying to connect using
    > local ip addresses (192.168.2.xxx)
    > I am not sure what's going on here.....
    >

    > "joker" <no-spam@netzero.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Are you trying to connect to the WAN IP or local IP?
    >>
    >>Are both computers on the LAN side of the MN-700.
    >>
    >>Chetan Nadgouda wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>I have a network setup with MN-700 as wireless router/hub.
    >>>
    >>>I have a desktop machine which i have wired to MN-700. I also have my
    >>>laptop connected on wireless. I have enabled TS on my desktop.
    >>>
    >>>When i try to use terminal server (TS or mstsc.exe) to connect to desktop
    >>>using my laptop, it fails to connect. However I am successful in pinging
    >>>the desktop from TS. I have made sure that remote login is possible when
    >>>the laptop is wired to mn700 (hence it is not a problem with desktop).
    >>>So now the question that remain to be answered is "Is the MN-700 blocking
    >>>some/all ports for wireless access? If so, how do i open them?" I tried
    >>>finding this information and only think i found was ability to open ports
    >>>to outside world (but not within wireless to wired).
    >>>
    >>>Can someone help?
    >>>Thanks.
    >>>-Chetan

    I had the same problem.
    Solution Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP in the WINS leaf of
    the Advanced TCP/IP Settings. Default is to obey router.

Routers Laptops Desktops Windows XP Networking