CPT better than Bookup?

I discovered the Chess Position Trainer by chance and it's a program that
looks real nice. Seems to have all the important features of BU but with a
slicker interface. The ability to have many position windows open at the
same time is invaluable.

Let me know what you guys think...

Oh... one more thing... it's FREE !!!

Get it from here:

http://www.chesspositiontrainer.com/CPT/index.aspx

John

On Mon, 23 May 2005 at 07:02 GMT, John J. wrote:
> I discovered the Chess Position Trainer by chance and it's a program that
> looks real nice. Seems to have all the important features of BU but with a
> slicker interface. The ability to have many position windows open at the
> same time is invaluable.
>
> Let me know what you guys think...
>
> Oh... one more thing... it's FREE !!!

Unfortunately, it's Windows only.

Shell Scripting Recipes: A Problem-Solution Approach, 2005, Apress
<http://www.torfree.net/~chris/books/cfaj/ssr.html>

It's good, I've been trying it out for a while. Its one significant problem
is that it uses XML files for storage rather than a real database system. As
long as your repetories remain fairly small that's not a problem but
performance can get really slow if you're importing a large number of games
or working with a sizeable repetorie.

That being said I think it's a great program and provides bookup with some
serious competition.. The author works hard on the program and releases
frequent betas and listens to feedback and bug reports. Once the author
implements a true databas backend (it's on his list but I gather it's a
considerable project) it'll likely be all you'll need for an openings
trainer/database.

All-in-all I can't say enough good things about it.

One tip. I find that using SCID http://scid.sourceforge.net/ to pre-sort the
games I want to import into smaller sub-repetories really helps.

"John J." <detectorist@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I discovered the Chess Position Trainer by chance and it's a program that
>looks real nice. Seems to have all the important features of BU but with a
>slicker interface. The ability to have many position windows open at the
>same time is invaluable.
>
> Let me know what you guys think...
>
> Oh... one more thing... it's FREE !!!
>
> Get it from here:
>
> http://www.chesspositiontrainer.com/CPT/index.aspx
>

> John

> Unfortunately, it's Windows only.

For the moment. There's a Linux port in the works already and a conversion
to the Pocket PC planned.

"Chris F.A. Johnson" <cfajohnson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 23 May 2005 at 07:02 GMT, John J. wrote:
>> I discovered the Chess Position Trainer by chance and it's a program that
>> looks real nice. Seems to have all the important features of BU but with
>> slicker interface. The ability to have many position windows open at the
>> same time is invaluable.
>>
>> Let me know what you guys think...
>>
>> Oh... one more thing... it's FREE !!!
>
> Unfortunately, it's Windows only.
>
> --
> Chris F.A. Johnson <http://cfaj.freeshell.org>
> Shell Scripting Recipes: A Problem-Solution Approach, 2005, Apress
> <http://www.torfree.net/~chris/books/cfaj/ssr.html>

Aren't people's attitudes incredible?

You'll never do that, because I failed when I tried!

I'm not going to do that, even though it would be a good idea!....

Sheesh!
Mark

Chris F.A. Johnson <cfajohnson@gmail.com> wrote:
> John J. wrote:
>> I discovered the Chess Position Trainer by chance and it's a program that
>> looks real nice. Seems to have all the important features of BU but with a
>> slicker interface.
>
> Unfortunately, it's Windows only.

But, then, so is Bookup.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Simple Zen Projector (TM): it's like
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ a 16mm film projector that puts you

On Mon, 23 May 2005 at 22:30 GMT, David Richerby wrote:
> Chris F.A. Johnson <cfajohnson@gmail.com> wrote:
>> John J. wrote:
>>> I discovered the Chess Position Trainer by chance and it's a program that
>>> looks real nice. Seems to have all the important features of BU but with a
>>> slicker interface.
>>
>> Unfortunately, it's Windows only.
>
> But, then, so is Bookup.

So that's no good to me, either.

Shell Scripting Recipes: A Problem-Solution Approach, 2005, Apress
<http://www.torfree.net/~chris/books/cfaj/ssr.html>

Since 99% of all the software sold is either Windows or Linux, you are
certainly shortchanging yourself by not having at least one Windows
computer. Heck, I've seen decent ones from Dell for $349.

John

On Mon, 23 May 2005 at 23:18 GMT, John J. wrote:
> Since 99% of all the software sold is either Windows or Linux, you are
> certainly shortchanging yourself by not having at least one Windows
> computer. Heck, I've seen decent ones from Dell for $349.

If it has Windows installed, it's not decent.

Shell Scripting Recipes: A Problem-Solution Approach, 2005, Apress
<http://www.torfree.net/~chris/books/cfaj/ssr.html>

Have it your way. Your loss, not mine. Stop whining about Windows.

John

On Tue, 24 May 2005 at 02:04 GMT, John J. wrote:
> Have it your way. Your loss, not mine. Stop whining about Windows.

What loss? I'm not whining; Windows has nothing I need. Some things
would be nice if they were ported to other OSs, and CPT appraently
_is_ being ported.

I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep over it.

> "Chris F.A. Johnson" <cfajohnson@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 23 May 2005 at 23:18 GMT, John J. wrote:
>>> Since 99% of all the software sold is either Windows or Linux, you are
>>> certainly shortchanging yourself by not having at least one Windows
>>> computer. Heck, I've seen decent ones from Dell for $349.
>>
>> If it has Windows installed, it's not decent.

Shell Scripting Recipes: A Problem-Solution Approach, 2005, Apress
<http://www.torfree.net/~chris/books/cfaj/ssr.html>

Not only does it need Windoze, it needs the Microsoft.Net Framework .1
to be installed. No thanks.

And I'm not going to spend even $350 (plus the operating system) for
one application.

Dan

If you were serious about improving, you would. I want to reach Expert
strength by this time next year.

John
"Dan-the-K" <kaliushkin@att.net> wrote in message
> Not only does it need Windoze, it needs the Microsoft.Net Framework .1
> to be installed. No thanks.
>
> And I'm not going to spend even $350 (plus the operating system) for
> one application.
>
> Dan

(Bottom posting)

Stefan Renzewitz May 24, 4:37 pm

"Dan-the-K" <kaliush...@att.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> Not only does it need Windoze, it needs the Microsoft.Net Framework .1
> to be installed. No thanks.

> And I'm not going to spend even $350 (plus the operating system) for
> one application.

> Dan

Hi guys,

don't let us end this discussion in a Windows/Linux flamewar and
neither in
a CPT/Bookup flamewar.

Actually the .Net Framework is for free and part of future Windows OS
(.Net
Compact Framework for Pocket PC), nothing you have to pay for and it is

actually the .Net Framework (in combination with Mono) why it is
possible to
port CPT to Linux without too much extra work.

Nobody is going to convince a Linux user to use Windows and vice versa.
At
the moment chess fans with a PC have several options and I hope in the
future Linux chess fans are able to use CPT on their favorite system
too.

At the end it's about our dedication to chess which we all have in
common -
at least in this NG.

Stefan, author of CPT

(Dan)

Ok, Stefan, you're on.

This will be run on an IBM PC 750 Pentium overdriven to 133MHz and
running Windows NT 4. What do I have to do to install this
application? Where do I get the .NET framework?

And it turns out I'm getting a newer computer, a PC 300GL, Pentium II
266MHz.

Dan

Such subtleties may be lost on Johnson and his ilk, I fear. Windows is
all bad, and that's the end of it.

Mark

You must be kidding. You want a new application to run on a 10 year old

operating system which was never designed to run games in the first
place?

Find yourself a copy of Win 98 SE. Configure your computer for dual
boot.

John

"Dan-the-K" <kaliush...@att.net> wrote in message

Yes, John, I do and there are enough applications that run on Windows
NT to make it worthwhile. I prefer OS/2 but very few applications that
I use run on it. So OS/2 goes on other computers and NT going on this
one is already a realistic compromise. If NT is no longer workable,
I'll get Windows 2000 or another MS OS.

Dan

"Dan-the-K" <kaliushkin@att.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Not only does it need Windoze, it needs the Microsoft.Net Framework .1
> to be installed. No thanks.
>
> And I'm not going to spend even $350 (plus the operating system) for
> one application.
>
> Dan

Hi guys,

don't let us end this discussion in a Windows/Linux flamewar and neither in
a CPT/Bookup flamewar.

Actually the .Net Framework is for free and part of future Windows OS (.Net
Compact Framework for Pocket PC), nothing you have to pay for and it is
actually the .Net Framework (in combination with Mono) why it is possible to
port CPT to Linux without too much extra work.

Nobody is going to convince a Linux user to use Windows and vice versa. At
the moment chess fans with a PC have several options and I hope in the
future Linux chess fans are able to use CPT on their favorite system too.

At the end it's about our dedication to chess which we all have in common -
at least in this NG.

Stefan, author of CPT

ceebee

"Chris F.A. Johnson" <cfajohnson@gmail.com> wrote in
rec.games.chess.computer:

> What loss? I'm not whining; Windows has nothing I need.

Just nitpicking, but in that case your _initial_ reaction different
from what you claim here, because you said: "Unfortunately, it's
Windows only."

In normal language that means the software has something you need
but unfortunatly you can't use it because it's only for Windows.

So Windows has something for you that you need: it gives you the
possibility to run this software of your choice.

Only later in the thread it was told to you that is was being ported
to other platforms.

--
CeeBee

***The cookie has spoken***

You must be kidding. You want a new application to run on a 10 year old
operating system which was never designed to run games in the first place?

Find yourself a copy of Win 98 SE. Configure your computer for dual boot.

John

"Dan-the-K" <kaliushkin@att.net> wrote in message
> (Bottom posting)
>
> Stefan Renzewitz May 24, 4:37 pm
>

> "Dan-the-K" <kaliush...@att.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

>> Not only does it need Windoze, it needs the Microsoft.Net Framework .1
>> to be installed. No thanks.
>
>> And I'm not going to spend even $350 (plus the operating system) for
>> one application.
>

>> Dan
>

> Hi guys,
>
> don't let us end this discussion in a Windows/Linux flamewar and
> neither in
> a CPT/Bookup flamewar.
>

> Actually the .Net Framework is for free and part of future Windows OS
> (.Net
> Compact Framework for Pocket PC), nothing you have to pay for and it is
>
> actually the .Net Framework (in combination with Mono) why it is
> possible to
> port CPT to Linux without too much extra work.
>

> Nobody is going to convince a Linux user to use Windows and vice versa.
> At
> the moment chess fans with a PC have several options and I hope in the
> future Linux chess fans are able to use CPT on their favorite system
> too.
>

> At the end it's about our dedication to chess which we all have in
> common -
> at least in this NG.
>

> Stefan, author of CPT
>

> (Dan)
>
> Ok, Stefan, you're on.
>
> This will be run on an IBM PC 750 Pentium overdriven to 133MHz and
> running Windows NT 4. What do I have to do to install this
> application? Where do I get the .NET framework?
>
> And it turns out I'm getting a newer computer, a PC 300GL, Pentium II
> 266MHz.
>
> Dan

Yea, I was just begining to learn OS/2 when it was discontinued. Seemed like
a great operating system.

Cheers!!