OEM or retail?

chadmanning222

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
so ive heard that oem has everything that a retail does just no customer support but is there more to it?

also if i bought an oem is that it? do i just pop it in my computer and cleanly install it or is there some agreement thing i have to agree to, im sorry if this sounds stupid im not an expert
and another thing im guessing this is true of course but do i still get like warning or failure windows that tell me something has gone wrong?

all help is appreciated thanks :bounce:

Solution
retail allows you to transfer the key if you ever upgrade or change a part. OEM is usually tied to the mobo that it is installed on and the code can be used once. so once you swap out the mobo, then you will probably have to buy another licence
retail allows you to transfer the key if you ever upgrade or change a part. OEM is usually tied to the mobo that it is installed on and the code can be used once. so once you swap out the mobo, then you will probably have to buy another licence

Solution

chadmanning222

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011

ok not much of an problem right now but i dont have a gpu yet and intend on buying one a couple of days after i install my win 7 would that affect anything?

nope, its usually sensitive to mobo changes the most, your free to change gpus anytime you want.

chadmanning222

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011

ok thanks for the response and sorry it took me a while to make you BA ive been busy XD .
and i went ahead and took your advice and ordered my oem win 7 home prem from amazon last friday .

thanks

TRENDING THREADS