Shredder 9 (linux)

Last response: in Video Games
May 29, 2005 1:16:23 AM

Glad to hear that linux will be getting the Shredder 9 series of chess
software. I for one am planning to purchase a copy. However I was just
wondering what others think the sales will be like. I know that if he gets
good sales numbers that it may only be a matter of time before others
start making their chess software available for linux as well. Maybe if
the numbers are right we might one day see Chessbase or other database
products on the market for linux as well.

More about : shredder linux

May 29, 2005 7:33:19 AM

On Sat, 28 May 2005 18:16:23 -0700, Ted Summers wrote:

> Glad to hear that linux will be getting the Shredder 9 series of chess
> software. I for one am planning to purchase a copy. However I was just
> wondering what others think the sales will be like. I know that if he
> gets good sales numbers that it may only be a matter of time before
> others start making their chess software available for linux as well.
> Maybe if the numbers are right we might one day see Chessbase or other
> database products on the market for linux as well.

If they make it for Linux, Ill buy it :)
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 12:27:32 PM

I'll be glad to see some chess products for linux. Will linux ever
overtake windows...only time will tell.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 6:06:46 PM

Where did you hear that?
I'm definitely not a fan of Windows, and would love to get away from it. So
I would consider getting linux if this and other top chess software were
available for it. But just Shredder 9 alone wouldn't be enough. I also need
the Chessbase software (such as their Fritz GUI) for handling my many
opening databases. Otherwise, I suppose that the equivalent of MS Works is
available for linux(?), and something like Irfanview for graphics(?).
--
Möbius

"Ted Summers" <admx@localhost.localdomain> wrote in message
news:p an.2005.05.29.01.16.22.553578@localhost.localdomain...
> Glad to hear that linux will be getting the Shredder 9 series of chess
> software. I for one am planning to purchase a copy. However I was just
> wondering what others think the sales will be like. I know that if he gets
> good sales numbers that it may only be a matter of time before others
> start making their chess software available for linux as well. Maybe if
> the numbers are right we might one day see Chessbase or other database
> products on the market for linux as well.
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 6:06:47 PM

The news that Shredder 9 would be coming to Linux is posted at:

(May 14,2005)
http://www.shredderchess.com/news.html

On Mon, 30 May 2005 14:06:46 +0000, Möbius wrote:

> Where did you hear that?
> I'm definitely not a fan of Windows, and would love to get away from it. So
> I would consider getting linux if this and other top chess software were
> available for it. But just Shredder 9 alone wouldn't be enough. I also need
> the Chessbase software (such as their Fritz GUI) for handling my many
> opening databases. Otherwise, I suppose that the equivalent of MS Works is
> available for linux(?), and something like Irfanview for graphics(?).
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 12:01:26 AM

Möbius <the@möbius.strip> wrote:
> Otherwise, I suppose that the equivalent of MS Works is available for
> linux(?), and something like Irfanview for graphics(?).

Openoffice is a reasonable MS Works-like program; xv will display all
reasonable graphics formats and Gimp will edit them. mplayer will play
most reasonable sound and move formats.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Voodoo Game (TM): it's like a family
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ board game that has mystical powers!