Weird stuff stuck on screen

Cs342

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
Hello,
Recently I have noticed that occasionally I will get random images/icons/animations stuck on my desktop. These will normally be slightly faded out, cannot be interacted with and just appear to be frozen in place and will only go away when I restart my computer (sometimes closing a random program makes them go away, but I have yet to find the cause). Normally these "frozen" images are just desktop icons or animations (maximizing a window, dragging a desktop icon to the recycle bin etc.) that just won't go a way. Is this a monitor issue and is there a way to fix this? I really doubt that my graphics card is faulty.
PS. Is there any way I can upload an image of my problem to this thread?

noise

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2012
What you are describign may well be a graphics card related problem called 'artifacts' whereby old pixels are not updated. This maybe a failing graphics card or simply a driver in need of updating.

Only other explanation leaping to mind is a poorly coded/malfunctioning program is 'very busy' and is stopping your display from updating correctly.

Try updating your graphics card drivers. If possible try your card in another machine. If it isn't too much agro, reinstall your OS to rule out misbehaving programs.

zander1983

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009

Pretty much what Noise said. Update your graphic card driver (best to update all your motherboard drivers as well)

is it only happening in one program or various programs and in games?

Cs342

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
I don't get any artifacts in games, and I really don't think it's a graphics card problem because the stuck icons overlap other icons. I have no idea what is happening, but maybe if I could upload an image you guys would understand the situation better... is there an option to upload photos to forum posts?