Tascam 34 stops.

Last response: in Home Audio
September 11, 2005 1:01:23 AM

Hi all, :)

New to group, looking for help with a Tascam 34 I recently picked up
second-hand.

Hope someone can/will help...

The machine works in every respect but:

When switched to PLAY, the tape runs for about five seconds, slowing
down and stopping. (The capstan stops) This happens whether there is
tape loaded or not. (holding up tension arms with fingers.)

FF REW STOP REC PAUSE all ok.

Amps work fine.

Anyone had this problem?

Thinking maybe just belt, but dunno.

Thanks for any help,
:)
Michael

More about : tascam stops

Anonymous
September 11, 2005 1:00:40 PM

idealist <mickeyd1@gmail.com> wrote:
>Hi all, :)
>
>New to group, looking for help with a Tascam 34 I recently picked up
>second-hand.
>
>Hope someone can/will help...
>
>The machine works in every respect but:
>
>When switched to PLAY, the tape runs for about five seconds, slowing
>down and stopping. (The capstan stops) This happens whether there is
>tape loaded or not. (holding up tension arms with fingers.)
>
>FF REW STOP REC PAUSE all ok.
>
>Amps work fine.
>
>Anyone had this problem?

Probably. That machine is probably VERY overdue for its annual cleaning
and lubrication. I'd change the pinch roller and do the usual cleaning
and lube job before I'd even THINK of doing anything else in the way of
testing or diagnostics.

If you can't make the machine play for more than five seconds, you cannot
do the weekly alignment, which means you really have no idea if the machine
actually "works in every respect" or not.

You cannot just run these machines, or leave one sitting on a shelf for
years, without doing regular maintenance. Just like anything mechanical.
--scott

September 13, 2005 6:40:05 PM

Thanks Scott. :)

Much useful information there.

Wil follow up on all of it.

Trying to get service manual, but local agent won't supply to me 'cause
I'm not an "authorised service agent". A bit precious if you ask me,
but there you go. Any ideas...?

thanks and regards,
:)
Michael

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> In article <43267b9e$1@dnews.tpgi.com.au>, Michael <idealist@tpg.com.au> wrote:
> >
> >I have today taken the machine to bits and discovered that the drive belt is
> >VERY loose. This, I suspect, is 90% of the problem.
> >
> >So I have ordered a new one, and a pinch roller, although here, in the
> >boondocks outside Sydney, Australia, the best I can do is a TWO MONTH
> >back-order through Melbourne...
>
> Get the service manual too, and go through the lubrication procedure in
> the service manual. You will want some light turbine oil (OC-11 or
> some equivalent.. ask an electric motor shop) and some mid-weight grease
> (Mobil 1 Racing Grease seems to be a good choice). I think this is one
> of the machines that needs the solenoid disassembled and regreased.
>
> These machines suffer from cold solder joint problems and relay problems,
> but other than mechanical stuff you'll find that is 90% of what goes
> wrong with them.
>
> >Anyone know how old these things are?
>
> They are part of the "New" Tascam series. I can't remember when that stuff
> came out, but I'd guess very late in the seventies.
> --scott
September 13, 2005 6:43:00 PM

Thanks to all who have so far supplied info on this subject, any help
gratefully appreciated.
:)
Michael
September 13, 2005 9:10:43 PM

Hi, and thanks. :)

Well, obviously, I should have said "seems to work in every other
respect...".

I have today taken the machine to bits and discovered that the drive belt is
VERY loose. This, I suspect, is 90% of the problem.

So I have ordered a new one, and a pinch roller, although here, in the
boondocks outside Sydney, Australia, the best I can do is a TWO MONTH
back-order through Melbourne...

Oh well...

news:D g19po$al9$1@panix2.panix.com...
> idealist <mickeyd1@gmail.com> wrote:
>>Hi all, :)
>>
>>New to group, looking for help with a Tascam 34 I recently picked up
>>second-hand.
>>
>>Hope someone can/will help...
>>
>>The machine works in every respect but:
>>
>>When switched to PLAY, the tape runs for about five seconds, slowing
>>down and stopping. (The capstan stops) This happens whether there is
>>tape loaded or not. (holding up tension arms with fingers.)
>>
>>FF REW STOP REC PAUSE all ok.
>>
>>Amps work fine.
>>
>>Anyone had this problem?
>
> Probably. That machine is probably VERY overdue for its annual cleaning
> and lubrication. I'd change the pinch roller and do the usual cleaning
> and lube job before I'd even THINK of doing anything else in the way of
> testing or diagnostics.
>
> If you can't make the machine play for more than five seconds, you cannot
> do the weekly alignment, which means you really have no idea if the
> machine
> actually "works in every respect" or not.
>
> You cannot just run these machines, or leave one sitting on a shelf for
> years, without doing regular maintenance. Just like anything mechanical.
> --scott

September 13, 2005 9:10:44 PM

The 34? Early 80's, like the other 80-series Tascams.

JP

"Michael" <idealist@tpg.com.au> a écrit dans le message de

> Hi, and thanks. :)
>
> Well, obviously, I should have said "seems to work in every other
> respect...".
>
> I have today taken the machine to bits and discovered that the drive belt
is
> VERY loose. This, I suspect, is 90% of the problem.
>
> So I have ordered a new one, and a pinch roller, although here, in the
> boondocks outside Sydney, Australia, the best I can do is a TWO MONTH
> back-order through Melbourne...
>
> Oh well...
>
> Anyone know how old these things are?
>
> Michael
>

> "Scott Dorsey" <kludge@panix.com> wrote in message
> news:D g19po$al9$1@panix2.panix.com...
> > idealist <mickeyd1@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>Hi all, :)
> >>
> >>New to group, looking for help with a Tascam 34 I recently picked up
> >>second-hand.
> >>
> >>Hope someone can/will help...
> >>
> >>The machine works in every respect but:
> >>
> >>When switched to PLAY, the tape runs for about five seconds, slowing
> >>down and stopping. (The capstan stops) This happens whether there is
> >>tape loaded or not. (holding up tension arms with fingers.)
> >>
> >>FF REW STOP REC PAUSE all ok.
> >>
> >>Amps work fine.
> >>
> >>Anyone had this problem?
> >
> > Probably. That machine is probably VERY overdue for its annual cleaning
> > and lubrication. I'd change the pinch roller and do the usual cleaning
> > and lube job before I'd even THINK of doing anything else in the way of
> > testing or diagnostics.
> >
> > If you can't make the machine play for more than five seconds, you
cannot
> > do the weekly alignment, which means you really have no idea if the
> > machine
> > actually "works in every respect" or not.
> >
> > You cannot just run these machines, or leave one sitting on a shelf for
> > years, without doing regular maintenance. Just like anything
mechanical.
> > --scott
> >
> > --
> > "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

Anonymous
September 13, 2005 9:10:44 PM

In article <43267b9e$1@dnews.tpgi.com.au>, Michael <idealist@tpg.com.au> wrote:

>I have today taken the machine to bits and discovered that the drive belt is
>VERY loose. This, I suspect, is 90% of the problem.
>
>So I have ordered a new one, and a pinch roller, although here, in the
>boondocks outside Sydney, Australia, the best I can do is a TWO MONTH
>back-order through Melbourne...

Get the service manual too, and go through the lubrication procedure in
the service manual. You will want some light turbine oil (OC-11 or
some equivalent.. ask an electric motor shop) and some mid-weight grease
(Mobil 1 Racing Grease seems to be a good choice). I think this is one
of the machines that needs the solenoid disassembled and regreased.

These machines suffer from cold solder joint problems and relay problems,
but other than mechanical stuff you'll find that is 90% of what goes
wrong with them.

>Anyone know how old these things are?

They are part of the "New" Tascam series. I can't remember when that stuff
came out, but I'd guess very late in the seventies.
--scott
September 13, 2005 9:10:45 PM

JP Gerard wrote:

>>Anyone know how old these things are?
>>
> The 34? Early 80's, like the other 80-series Tascams.

I'm pretty sure they were making them into the mid-late '90s.
Unless you meant 'how old is the technology'.

--
JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=- jpm@it-he.org
Fun things to do with the Ultima games http://www.it-he.org

They did, the 32 was made until just a few years ago

JP

"JP Morris" <jpm@it-he.org> a écrit dans le message de
news:D g63fc$i37$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> JP Gerard wrote:
> >>
> >>Anyone know how old these things are?
> >>
> > The 34? Early 80's, like the other 80-series Tascams.
>
> I'm pretty sure they were making them into the mid-late '90s.
> Unless you meant 'how old is the technology'.
>
> --
> JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=- jpm@it-he.org
> Fun things to do with the Ultima games http://www.it-he.org
> Developing a U6/U7 clone http://ire.it-he.org
> d+++ e+ N+ T++ Om U1234!56!7'!S'!8!9!KA u++ uC+++ uF+++ uG---- uLB----
> uA--- nC+ nR---- nH+++ nP++ nI nPT nS nT wM- wC- y a(YEAR - 1976)
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 3:38:16 AM

idealist wrote:

> Thanks Scott. :)
>
> Much useful information there.
>
> Wil follow up on all of it.
>
> Trying to get service manual, but local agent won't supply to me 'cause
> I'm not an "authorised service agent". A bit precious if you ask me,
> but there you go. Any ideas...?

The Operation/Maintenance manual for the '32 has quite detailed service
instructions and schematics. I can't remember offhand if it goes into
lubricating the machine, but you should be able to get a copy of the
Op/Maint manual without being a service agent. IIRC, Charles Hyde in the
UK will supply the manual (at about 40 pounds, mark you).

--
JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=- jpm@it-he.org
Anti-walkthroughs for Deus Ex, Thief and Ultima http://www.it-he.org

idealist <mickeyd1@gmail.com> wrote:

>Trying to get service manual, but local agent won't supply to me 'cause
>I'm not an "authorised service agent". A bit precious if you ask me,
>but there you go. Any ideas...?

Ask an authorized service agent to sell you the manual. They may well have
one in a file cabinet somewhere that they'll probably be throwing out if
you don't take it. Or try Tascam US, which is very good about manuals.
--scott

September 15, 2005 8:13:48 AM

J. P. Morris wrote:

> The Operation/Maintenance manual for the '32 has quite detailed service
> instructions and schematics. I can't remember offhand if it goes into
> lubricating the machine, but you should be able to get a copy of the
> Op/Maint manual without being a service agent. IIRC, Charles Hyde in the
> UK will supply the manual (at about 40 pounds, mark you).

Well now, I happen to be holding the Operation/Maintenance manual for
the '32 in my hands at this very moment. And while it details many
helpful things (including about a billion circuit diagrams and
descriptions) lube isn't one of them.
February 15, 2009 10:25:51 PM

Hello 32 Owner,
I am a past Teac/Tascam Tech from the facility that was in Chicago. This unit makes use of a DC Capstan Motor. If the belt is very lose then the deck should not play at all. If the deck has some power supply problemsm well, a technician is going to have to have a look at it. The thing you want to determine is if the capstan motor keep on turning or not. If you hear that it keeps turning or can verify visually, then you may just need a belt.
Lubrication wise, a unit with all DC motors like that has only places you can lubricate once you take the motors apart.
If you need further help contact me direct at skywavebe@sbcglobal.net .
You can also find me on Tapeheads.net or on the Yahoo Reel to Reel forum.
I am still doing repairs now in the Chicagoland area.
Sam,
!