Need advice on investing in a computer and chess engine.

Last response: in Video Games
May 31, 2005 10:36:21 AM

Is a multiprocesser computer - and which one - with Super Fritz or
Super Junior that much more powerful than a regular PC with the latest
Fritz or other program? If not, then what combination of PC and chess
engine would be most worthwhile to invest in. I'm currently using a two
year old Fritz 8 program with a bottom of the line Dell Dimension 2350
three years old. Would be grateful for help in making a new choice. My
current set up is woefully slow, accomplishing in hours what other
computer and engine pairings seem to accomplish in a couple minutes.
May 31, 2005 8:12:42 PM

A multi-processor computer+engine combination is faster than a single
processor computer+engine combo, if you have multi-processor software like
Deep Fritz , Deep Junior or Deep Shredder, but Processor-speed is important
too.
You'll probably wanna buy a 64 bit computer, but I'm not sure if there's
already software available for that.

"warehouse" <dilevadimd@comcast.net> schreef in bericht
> Is a multiprocesser computer - and which one - with Super Fritz or
> Super Junior that much more powerful than a regular PC with the latest
> Fritz or other program? If not, then what combination of PC and chess
> engine would be most worthwhile to invest in. I'm currently using a two
> year old Fritz 8 program with a bottom of the line Dell Dimension 2350
> three years old. Would be grateful for help in making a new choice. My
> current set up is woefully slow, accomplishing in hours what other
> computer and engine pairings seem to accomplish in a couple minutes.

Anonymous
June 5, 2005 6:02:51 AM

Ruud wrote:

> A multi-processor computer+engine combination is faster than a single
> processor computer+engine combo, if you have multi-processor software like
> Deep Fritz , Deep Junior or Deep Shredder, but Processor-speed is important
> too.
> You'll probably wanna buy a 64 bit computer, but I'm not sure if there's
> already software available for that.

There is a 64-bit version of Shredder UCI (not ChessBase version) which will run under Win XP 64.

Vlad
!