Need advice on investing in a computer and chess engine.

Is a multiprocesser computer - and which one - with Super Fritz or
Super Junior that much more powerful than a regular PC with the latest
Fritz or other program? If not, then what combination of PC and chess
engine would be most worthwhile to invest in. I'm currently using a two
year old Fritz 8 program with a bottom of the line Dell Dimension 2350
three years old. Would be grateful for help in making a new choice. My
current set up is woefully slow, accomplishing in hours what other
computer and engine pairings seem to accomplish in a couple minutes.
2 answers Last reply
More about need advice investing computer chess engine
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    A multi-processor computer+engine combination is faster than a single
    processor computer+engine combo, if you have multi-processor software like
    Deep Fritz , Deep Junior or Deep Shredder, but Processor-speed is important
    too.
    You'll probably wanna buy a 64 bit computer, but I'm not sure if there's
    already software available for that.

    "warehouse" <dilevadimd@comcast.net> schreef in bericht
    > Is a multiprocesser computer - and which one - with Super Fritz or
    > Super Junior that much more powerful than a regular PC with the latest
    > Fritz or other program? If not, then what combination of PC and chess
    > engine would be most worthwhile to invest in. I'm currently using a two
    > year old Fritz 8 program with a bottom of the line Dell Dimension 2350
    > three years old. Would be grateful for help in making a new choice. My
    > current set up is woefully slow, accomplishing in hours what other
    > computer and engine pairings seem to accomplish in a couple minutes.

  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    Ruud wrote:

    > A multi-processor computer+engine combination is faster than a single
    > processor computer+engine combo, if you have multi-processor software like
    > Deep Fritz , Deep Junior or Deep Shredder, but Processor-speed is important
    > too.
    > You'll probably wanna buy a 64 bit computer, but I'm not sure if there's
    > already software available for that.

    There is a 64-bit version of Shredder UCI (not ChessBase version) which will run under Win XP 64.

    Vlad

PC gaming Engine Computers Video Games