CB 9 blues

CB 9 is always hanging on my machine. If I click on the database path
browser in the left-hand pane it freezes. If I try to browse my hard drive
from within CB it freezes. If I click on the "next game" button while
browsing a database it freezes. If I try to replace a game it freezes.
Yesterday I tried to save one of my games and it went through two counting
exercises (it counted up to several hundred thousand of something --
what?? -- twice. After which it froze for 2-3 minutes. My system is also
very slow if I have CB running in the background. As I type this post the
computer freezes every other line or so for 10-15 seconds.

I have a 2.4 GHz processor, WinXP, 500 MB RAM. A typical machine.

Anyone have any ideas why this is happening, or how it can be fixed?

Angelo DePalma

Here's a couple of things to try...

(1) Reduce the CB9 process priority. Using a text editor such as Notepad,
make and put a file named "CB9.bat" in the primary CB9 folder containing the
following single line:

start /belownormal CB9.exe

where CB9.exe is the CB9 executable. If that's not its name (I don't know),
then substitute the correct name. Then make a shortcut to "CB9.bat" and use
it to start your CB9 software.

(2) Try turning off the Windows XP System Restore operation. If that fixes
it, you could put your databases on a separate logical drive and turn off
System Restore for that drive. That's what I do with all my CB databases and
opening books.
--
Möbius