handheld chess computer

I'm looking for a handheld, dedicated chess computer. My preferred features:

1. great screen/presentation
2. playing strength
3. ability to save games

I already have a PocketPC but I hate the way it croaks if it's not
constantly recharged.

Suggestions?

Angelo DePalma wrote:
> I'm looking for a handheld, dedicated chess computer. My preferred features:
>
> 1. great screen/presentation
> 2. playing strength
> 3. ability to save games
>
> I already have a PocketPC but I hate the way it croaks if it's not
> constantly recharged.
>
> Suggestions?

I don't know of a big color screen handheld that also boasts excellent
life between battery charges.

Does your PocketPC have an option for a heavier duty battery? Some
do....

Because of the aforementioned battery problems I've just about given up on
my PocketPC.

<goma@my-deja.com> wrote in message

> Angelo DePalma wrote:
>> I'm looking for a handheld, dedicated chess computer. My preferred
>> features:
>>
>> 1. great screen/presentation
>> 2. playing strength
>> 3. ability to save games
>>
>> I already have a PocketPC but I hate the way it croaks if it's not
>> constantly recharged.
>>
>> Suggestions?
>
> I don't know of a big color screen handheld that also boasts excellent
> life between battery charges.
>
> Does your PocketPC have an option for a heavier duty battery? Some
> do....

I have a Zire 21 loaded with the top three chess programs. It is not a
color screen, more like a newspaper display, but it plays like a demon
and the batteries last quite a long time.

ME

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 21:53:37 -0700, goma wrote:

> Angelo DePalma wrote:
>> I'm looking for a handheld, dedicated chess computer. My preferred
>> features:
>>
>> 1. great screen/presentation
>> 2. playing strength
>> 3. ability to save games
>>
>> I already have a PocketPC but I hate the way it croaks if it's not
>> constantly recharged.
>>
>> Suggestions?
>
> I don't know of a big color screen handheld that also boasts excellent
> life between battery charges.
>
> Does your PocketPC have an option for a heavier duty battery? Some
> do....

hehe I use a Gameboy Advance with Chessmaster :) unfortunately you can
only save one game at a time, but its small, has a great screen, and
great battery life.

J. Lohner

Len

"me" <me@localhost.localdomain> wrote in message
> On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 21:53:37 -0700, goma wrote:
>

>> Angelo DePalma wrote:
>>> I'm looking for a handheld, dedicated chess computer. My preferred
>>> features:
>>>
>>> 1. great screen/presentation
>>> 2. playing strength
>>> 3. ability to save games
>>>
>>> I already have a PocketPC but I hate the way it croaks if it's not
>>> constantly recharged.
>>>
>>> Suggestions?
>>
>> I don't know of a big color screen handheld that also boasts excellent
>> life between battery charges.
>>
>> Does your PocketPC have an option for a heavier duty battery? Some
>> do....
>
> hehe I use a Gameboy Advance with Chessmaster :) unfortunately you can
> only save one game at a time, but its small, has a great screen, and
> great battery life.
>
> J. Lohner

Does the Gameboy have any type of computer interface capabilities? Can you
cable hookup the GB to a computer and save games that way? Just curious as
I been thinking about getting a Gameboy Advance just for Chessmaster.

thanks

ME

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 04:14:49 -0700, Len wrote:

>> hehe I use a Gameboy Advance with Chessmaster :) unfortunately you can
>> only save one game at a time, but its small, has a great screen, and
>> great battery life.
>>
>> J. Lohner
>
> Does the Gameboy have any type of computer interface capabilities? Can
> you cable hookup the GB to a computer and save games that way? Just
> curious as I been thinking about getting a Gameboy Advance just for
> Chessmaster.
>
> thanks

Not that I have found.... but then again I haven't looked. The SP is
a perfect size to fit in my jacket pocket and a pretty reasonable price,
thats why I got one... great for a quick game :)

How do the chess peices look with, I think, 160x160 resolution?
I have been looking for a handheld chess game, but the ones I've seen had
low res screens.