Monitor with wierd lines in display

sallyfields

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2003
Hello all,
I have just purchased a Viewsonic P95f+ PerfectFlat Monitor. I have noticed what I thought to be a defect in the display. There are two very very thin horizontal lines; one is about 3 inches from the top and the other is about 3 inches from the bottom. They are typically only noticeable when you have a really light background (like opening a word doc). I called Viewsonic to inquire about this thinking it to be a defect. They told me that this was normal and explained that it had to do with the aperature grill. The tech person called them damper wires. My question is: is anyone else experiencing this effect on their monitor that includes an aperature grill or am I just getting taken for an idiot by Viewsonic ?

Thanks,

Duke

P.S. Not really sallyfields.

kinetic_tw

Distinguished
May 29, 2003
The tech person you spoke to was correct. The damper wires are something you're going to see in every Aperture Grill monitor. They're just a part of the technology that people have to learn to live with. If you REALLY hate them, you can opt to look for a Shadow Mask monitor, which does not have those damper wires, but typically doesnt run quite as bright as AG's can.

I've got a 17inch AG monitor from Sony on one of my machines here, and in all reality, you cant really notice the lines unless you're looking for them. This is especially true when darker colors are being displayed, such as when playing games or watching movies.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
These lines were famous on Sony Trinitron tubes, yes there are actually wires inside the tube that cause this.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

sallyfields

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2003
Great, thanks for the replies everyone. I just wanted to make sure I was not getting ripped off. True, they are not noticeable at all unless the background is white or extremely light gray.

Thanks again all,

Duke

P.S. Not really sallyfields.

G

Captain Obvious has a monitor withsuch lines!
All part of the design, but really only visible with bright (white) screens!

After a while the Captain didn't notice the lines unless he stopped and looked at them.

<b><font color=red>Captain Obvious To The Rescue!!!</font color=red></b>