Chess opening e-books

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc (More info?)

Has anybody here subcribed to the services at
http://www.chesspublishing.com?

I was thinking of purchasing a subscription. What do you think of it?
Are their e-books any good?

It also seems that you need special software to see the ebooks they
provide. Can you download the ebooks and still use them if you don't renew?

Thanks,
Gilles
3 answers Last reply
More about chess opening books
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc (More info?)

    I used to subscribe but I no longer. My problem with the sites is they don't
    really provide a repertoire. It's more of a theory site where you see
    topical games in various openings. At least that's the way it was 3 years
    ago.

    "Gilles Roy" <groy@gmail.com> wrote in message

    > Has anybody here subcribed to the services at
    > http://www.chesspublishing.com?
    >
    > I was thinking of purchasing a subscription. What do you think of it? Are
    > their e-books any good?
    >
    > It also seems that you need special software to see the ebooks they
    > provide. Can you download the ebooks and still use them if you don't
    > renew?
    >

    > Thanks,
    > Gilles
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc (More info?)

    They currently provide 77 e-books in pdf, some of them (28) are also available in cbv, but cbv updates are not as frequent, as for pdf.
    Most pdf e-books are updated monthly, depending on the specific variation popularity.
    Also they provide important games in pgn with very good text comments. Currently, there are 10239 games in their database. As for me, pgn is the most valuable part.
    The special software is needed only to search and download the games. I usually download all games at least monthly, and use CB or CA for analysis.

    IMHO, if you are not Master and are serious about chess, ChessPublishing subscription on your favorite openings can be worth money you spend.
    Compared to CBM, you are guarantied to get a compilation of all novelties for (popular) openings you play without any garbage.
    CI and NIC YB are more complete, but not as frequent as ChessPublishing, and chesspublishing text comments are much easier to understand compared to CI evaluations.

    If you prefer electronic sources, CP + CI is the best combo for openings theory, and if you prefer printed material, you can choose between CP + CI or CP + NIC YB, or even all 3 of them.
    CBM and TWIC are also good, but their openings reviews are not that regular and you can't count on them if you need the current teory state.

    Regards,
    Vlad

    > Has anybody here subcribed to the services at
    > http://www.chesspublishing.com?
    >
    > I was thinking of purchasing a subscription. What do you think of it?
    > Are their e-books any good?
    >
    > It also seems that you need special software to see the ebooks they
    > provide. Can you download the ebooks and still use them if you don't renew?
    >

    > Thanks,
    > Gilles
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc (More info?)

    Vladyslav Kosulin wrote:
    > They currently provide 77 e-books in pdf, some of them (28) are also
    > available in cbv, but cbv updates are not as frequent, as for pdf.
    > Most pdf e-books are updated monthly, depending on the specific
    > variation popularity.
    > Also they provide important games in pgn with very good text comments.
    > Currently, there are 10239 games in their database. As for me, pgn is
    > the most valuable part.
    > The special software is needed only to search and download the games. I
    > usually download all games at least monthly, and use CB or CA for analysis.

    Thanks for the information!

    Regards,
    Gilles

PC gaming Games Computers Video Games Books