Which is stronger, Chess Master 10 or 4 Fritz 4.01

Len

Can someone tell me which is stronger, ChessMaster 10 or Fritz 4.01, which
comes with ChessBase Light (and by about how much)? Of course they will
always be able to kick my butt from here to tomorrow, but since I am using
both for analysis, I am curious.

Thanks

JVMerlino

Distinguished
May 20, 2004

The only version of Chessmaster that was compared to Fritz 4.01 was
Chessmaster 5000, released in 1996. That engine was shown by the SSDF
to be about 50 points stronger than Fritz 4.01 on equivalent hardware.

Knowing what I know about the improvements to The King since then, I
would say that the engine in Chessmaster 10th Edition is probably about
350-400 points stronger than Fritz 4.01, especially if you use one of
the custom personalities that have been created by users specifically
for lengthy analysis (or tournament time controls).

jm

Len

Thanks all for the replies. Not sure how to set them up to play each other,
but that would be fun. I'll Google and see if I can find out how to go
about doing that.

"Len" <Lenoardrogers55@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Can someone tell me which is stronger, ChessMaster 10 or Fritz 4.01, which
> comes with ChessBase Light (and by about how much)? Of course they will
> always be able to kick my butt from here to tomorrow, but since I am using
> both for analysis, I am curious.
>

> Thanks

Ruud

Check these lists.
http://www.miko42.de/cegt/turniere/cegtall.html
http://web.telia.com/~u85924109/ssdf/list.htm
CM10 and 9 are on the lists, among other giants.
Allthough I'm not familiar with either of the 2 engines you mention and
Fritz 4 doesn't show up on any of the lists known to me, I'm pretty sure
CM10 is better, also considering the fact that Fritz 4 is rather early
version of Fritz.
..

"Len" <Lenoardrogers55@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
> Can someone tell me which is stronger, ChessMaster 10 or Fritz 4.01, which
> comes with ChessBase Light (and by about how much)? Of course they will
> always be able to kick my butt from here to tomorrow, but since I am using
> both for analysis, I am curious.
>

> Thanks

Ruud

You should have them play eachother and see what happens.
"Ruud" <rhilll@home.nl> schreef in bericht
> Check these lists.
> http://www.miko42.de/cegt/turniere/cegtall.html
> http://web.telia.com/~u85924109/ssdf/list.htm
> CM10 and 9 are on the lists, among other giants.
> Allthough I'm not familiar with either of the 2 engines you mention and
> Fritz 4 doesn't show up on any of the lists known to me, I'm pretty sure
> CM10 is better, also considering the fact that Fritz 4 is rather early
> version of Fritz.
> .
>

> "Len" <Lenoardrogers55@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
>> Can someone tell me which is stronger, ChessMaster 10 or Fritz 4.01,
>> which comes with ChessBase Light (and by about how much)? Of course
>> they will always be able to kick my butt from here to tomorrow, but since
>> I am using both for analysis, I am curious.
>>

>> Thanks

Len <Lenoardrogers55@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Can someone tell me which is stronger, ChessMaster 10 or Fritz 4.01,
> which comes with ChessBase Light (and by about how much)? Of course
> they will always be able to kick my butt from here to tomorrow, but
> since I am using both for analysis, I am curious.

CM10 will be quite a bit stronger. It's hard to say how much stronger
because ratings for older programs were obtained on older hardware and
you're running old software on new hardware. As somebody else has
suggested, organizing a match between the two programs will give you an
indication of how much stronger Chessmaster is.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Mouldy Solar-Powered Sushi (TM):
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ it's like a raw fish but it doesn't

ME

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 06:33:45 -0700, Len wrote:

> Can someone tell me which is stronger, ChessMaster 10 or Fritz 4.01,
> which comes with ChessBase Light (and by about how much)? Of course
> they will always be able to kick my butt from here to tomorrow, but
> since I am using both for analysis, I am curious.
>

> Thanks

I use both CM 10 and Fritz 8 to analyze my games. Both do good jobs.
I tend to use Fritz 8 in full analysis mode on my ICC games and it does a
good job but CM analysis is much more 'newbie' friendly with its
analysis.

J. Lohner