power amp questions

All.

I have a MOTU 828 mkII connected to an Alesis RA300 2 channel power amp
driving 2 Event 20/20s. I believe the amp is going bad. After about 20
minutes of playing audio, both channels start to crackle. It started a
few months ago in just the left channel, now it's both. The headphone
output on the 828 sounds great. I suppose it could be the main outs on
the 828, but it seems more likely that it's the amp (IMO).

1. What are my options as far as repairing the amp? I live in Portland,
OR.
2. Can anyone recommend a good replacement amp for this setup?

Thanks,
--b
5 answers Last reply
More about power questions

    <cbnewman@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > All.
    >
    > I have a MOTU 828 mkII connected to an Alesis RA300 2 channel power amp
    > driving 2 Event 20/20s. I believe the amp is going bad. After about 20
    > minutes of playing audio, both channels start to crackle. It started a
    > few months ago in just the left channel, now it's both. The headphone
    > output on the 828 sounds great. I suppose it could be the main outs on
    > the 828, but it seems more likely that it's the amp (IMO).
    >
    > 1. What are my options as far as repairing the amp? I live in Portland,
    > OR.
    > 2. Can anyone recommend a good replacement amp for this setup?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > --b

    Why are you assuming an amp problem? Your most sensible route would be to
    find out exactly where the problem lies. Substituting another amp or
    another pair of speakers or set of cables first is possibly a better idea
    than buying another amp on a hunch.

    Gareth.

    Gareth.

    <cbnewman@gmail.com> wrote:

    >I have a MOTU 828 mkII connected to an Alesis RA300 2 channel power amp
    >driving 2 Event 20/20s. I believe the amp is going bad. After about 20
    >minutes of playing audio, both channels start to crackle. It started a
    >few months ago in just the left channel, now it's both. The headphone
    >output on the 828 sounds great. I suppose it could be the main outs on
    >the 828, but it seems more likely that it's the amp (IMO).
    >
    >1. What are my options as far as repairing the amp? I live in Portland,

    Don't do it. The amp is not worth it. There are a lot of folks in Portland
    that will fix the things, but you won't be happy in the long run.

    >2. Can anyone recommend a good replacement amp for this setup?

    A used Hafler. A used Adcom GFA-535. Any of the used Parasound amps
    out there.
    --scott

    easier said than done. i only have one amp. of course, you're right. i
    need to verify that the problem is with the amp and not the MOTU. i've
    verified that the cables are good (the problem was reproducable on the
    left channel regardless of the cables used before both channels were
    affected)

    ideas?

    cbnewman@gmail.com wrote:

    > i need to verify that the problem is with the amp and not the MOTU.

    So plug an iPod or a CD player or some other source into the amp and see
    if the problem goes away.

    Crown is the standard working man's live power amp, and Bryston is the
    standard working man's studio power amp. I don't mean sub-standard by
    "working man's"... I mean they get the nod time and time again.

Pro Audio Audio Power