CB9 questions about sorting (some missing functions)

Last response: in Video Games
June 6, 2005 5:28:26 PM

1°) When you are looking through a variation to see his evolution from the
past till today, ChessBase 8 allows you to sort first on the « date », then
<fix sort order> and then sort by « ECO » then <fix sort order> . This was
very useful for this task. It's a 4 steps job, but it works well.

With ChessBase 9 it seems to be impossible to sort as 1rst criterion on the
« ECO » and as 2nd creterion on the year ! Once you're sorting on the «

Do you have any idea to help me ?

2°) What about the « REFINE ALL » function from ChessBase 7 . Is there
something similar with ChessBase 9 ?

Thanks.
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 12:46:59 AM

Thierry Th wrote:
>snip>
>
> With ChessBase 9 it seems to be impossible to sort as 1rst criterion on the
> « ECO » and as 2nd creterion on the year ! Once you're sorting on the «
>
> Do you have any idea to help me ?

No:
You're right. It isn't logical.

> 2°) What about the « REFINE ALL » function from ChessBase 7 . Is there
> something similar with ChessBase 9 ?

For unknown reasons the feature disappeared in CB8, and it's still
missing in CB9.
OK, I suppose there's too many trouble with transpositions in large
bases, which might cause errors in the keys.
A handy tool however.

HD

> Thanks.

June 7, 2005 3:47:32 AM

"Thierry Th" <fa609391@skynet.be> wrote in
rec.games.chess.computer:

> 1°) When you are looking through a variation to see his
> evolution from the past till today, ChessBase 8 allows you to
> sort first on the « date », then <fix sort order> and then sort
> by « ECO » then <fix sort order> . This was very useful for this
> task. It's a 4 steps job, but it works well.
>

> With ChessBase 9 it seems to be impossible to sort as 1rst
> criterion on the « ECO » and as 2nd creterion on the year !
> Once you're sorting on the « year », the second criterion is
> automatically the « white » field?!.

Why don't you use the opening key (function) for this task? Like the
big opening key coming with all CB databases? You don't have to sort
a large database to get a selection. Simply sort on year and select
the key. Refine a key if you want to look at a particular variation
that wasn't defined as a preinstalled key.. If you watn, delete the
key afterwards.

--
CeeBee

***The cookie has spoken***