glalonde

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
I have A7V motherboard, PC133 rams.
I have 3 memory sticks (256, 256, 128) and when I test one stick at a time (the other two are not plugged in), memtest86 passes all tests. This is OK for all 3 sticks.

However, If I plug 2 or more sticks, memtest86 fails test #6 only. I tried all combinations of plugging the sticks in the different socket, but the same thing happens.
I tried changing speed from 133 to 100 in BIOS, but same problem.

Any idea why ?

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
Interesting, sounds like either a bios glitch or a memtest glitch, is your pc stable? If so dont worry about it, if your pc is not stable the try updating to the latest bios for you mobo.

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a procesor
110% BX fanboy

glalonde

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
I have the latest BIOS and the PC 'seems' stable i.e. on <i>rare</i> occasion Windows 2000 will hang-up (so far).

However, I do not know how stable it will be if I'll start using memory extensive programs simultaneously.

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
Okay.

Here are a few things that might help your diagnosis of the problem.

1. Have you tried putting in only two sticks in at a time?

You could have a bad DIMM and not bad memory.

2. Are all of the modules the same? Make, size, etc?

Even if they are you can have conflicts show up with identical modules.

The 6th Test uses what is called the modulo x^n+1 algorithm which will as the Memtest86 diagnostic page states...

Test 6 [Modulo 20, ones&zeros, cached]

Using the Modulo-X algorithm should uncover errors that are not detected by moving inversions due to cache and buffering interference with the algorithm. As with test one only ones and zeros are used for data patterns.

If you want to know <A HREF="http://algo.inria.fr/seminars/sem00-01/schoenhage.html" target="_new">more about the algorithm you can read up on it here. (For the Mathematically inclined.)</A>

Anyway, that test should find errors that are caused by data movement from cache to DIMM/Module and visa versa.

You could have a bad DIMM.

It is hard to say.

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com//modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=7" target="_new">Check out the new Case Mod and PSU section of the THGC</A>