Data Migration Problems from Sony Clie to Palm Tungsten W

July 28, 2004 11:49:25 AM

I have problem relating to migration of data, I hope someone here who
has the faced the same scenario or knows the way out can help!

I have a new Palm Tungsten W, I wish to transfer all my data from
Address Book, Memo Pad, DateBook 5 and Yaps that I was using with my
old Sony Clie.

Initially, I installed the new PalmOne desktop software, and through
it I was able to "see" my exisitng data. I could not however sync the
Tungsten W with the new data (it was identified under the name
'generic') but I couldn't figure out a way to sync the exisitng data
to the W.

Bear in mind, my W came without the Palm install discs, and does not
have the default Address Book, Memo Pad, Date Book or To Do installed.

I have backed up the old profile dir (say it's called 'Clie') and
uninstalled the 'Palm Desktop for CLIE' software, then I installed the
new PalmOne Desktop software and created a new profile (say called
'W').

I installed some basic apps like dateBook5 and Todo Plus thinking that
when i sync it will populate those apps with the 'Clie' profile data.

So I copied the subdirs/files fom the 'Clie' profile into the 'W'
profile dir and sync'd hoping that would populate the W but I don't
see any of the data in the W.

Thanks for any help!
Anonymous
July 29, 2004 5:10:43 AM

megazoid@hotmail.com ([ice]) wrote in message news:<337b0759.0407280649.424471f@posting.google.com>...
> I have problem relating to migration of data, I hope someone here who
> has the faced the same scenario or knows the way out can help!#

I just did this the other day between my TC adn T2

> I have backed up the old profile dir (say it's called 'Clie') and
> uninstalled the 'Palm Desktop for CLIE' software, then I installed the
> new PalmOne Desktop software and created a new profile (say called
> 'W').

> So I copied the subdirs/files fom the 'Clie' profile into the 'W'
> profile dir and sync'd hoping that would populate the W but I don't
> see any of the data in the W.

OK I did theexact same. copied the address dir's etc in the bob folder
into my new BobH folder. No data appeared after syncing.

So I opened up address folder in C:\PDA\palm\bob and the one in
C:\PDA\palm\bobH
and noticed that not all the files had copied whien I copy->paste'd
the directories. Copy over all the files that are missing (not a
directory copy but a proper file copy) or indeed all the fiels again.
I did this and it worked.

GHope this helps
Bob

> Thanks for any help!
Anonymous
July 29, 2004 7:07:03 AM

Things are a whole lot easier when switching Palm device if you keep the
same hotsync name. Palm desktop supports the syncing of multiple user,
each to thier own data. If you look in the Palm desktop directory you
will probably find a "Clei" and a "W" directory. After some prudent
backup you could try renaming the directories, changing "Clei" to "W". I
don't know for sure this will solve your problem but it may be worth a
try. IMHO

--
_____________
Thank a veteran

Thanks for your replies - I can see how to do this now.

Unfortunately, the Tungsten W I have does not come with some of the
default apps like Address Book, ToDo, Memo Pad and Datebook. Does
anyone know where I can down these default apps from? Someone is
sending me a CDR of the default apps but it would be good to know an
online source.

I have a feeling that many apps are built "on top of" these basic
primitive apps. An example might be Wordsmith, which I used to
create/edit Memo's with. Therefore, I cannot use the Memo Pad data on
my PC unless I have MemoPad installed on the Tungsten W.
Anonymous
August 3, 2004 11:45:16 PM

On 1 Aug 2004 01:57:00 -0700, megazoid@hotmail.com ([ice]) wrote:

>Thanks for your replies - I can see how to do this now.
>
>Unfortunately, the Tungsten W I have does not come with some of the
>default apps like Address Book, ToDo, Memo Pad and Datebook.

They are there. They reload from ROM when you do a hard reset (unless
someone removed them with JackSprat, verrrrry unusual).

Most likely, your buttons maybe mapped to launch other programs. I'd
suggest you check to see what the buttons are mapped to with Prefs |
Buttons

and also to check to make sure the apps are there with FILEZ freeware
http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=software.s...

>Does
>anyone know where I can down these default apps from? Someone is
>sending me a CDR of the default apps but it would be good to know an
>online source.

I never could find an online source for the ISO of the disk or for the
apps.

<snip>

--
John Bartley K7AAY http://celdata.cjb.net
This post quad-ROT-13 encrypted; reading it violates the DMCA.

> >Unfortunately, the Tungsten W I have does not come with some of the
> >default apps like Address Book, ToDo, Memo Pad and Datebook.
>
> They are there. They reload from ROM when you do a hard reset (unless
> someone removed them with JackSprat, verrrrry unusual).

Yep, I think you are right. They were deleted with JackSpratt or
JackFlash. The guy I bought it from used them for some evaluation or
trial thingy and now I'm lumped with it :-)

> I never could find an online source for the ISO of the disk or for the
> apps.

I got replacement discs but as the apps are in the ROM I doubt they
are going to be on the CD :-(

I'd value your advice on something else - Please see the new post I've
made on choosing replacements apps for the one's missing from ROM.
Cheers matey
!