Sign in with
Your question

Format and reinstall Windows-7 on my Toshiba Laptop

Last response: in Windows 7
July 27, 2012 4:28:49 PM

Hi. I have a Toshiba laptop that came with a preinstalled copy of Windows-7 (64 bit) version purchased in July 2010. No setup disk came with the laptop, but there is a "Toshiba recovery media creator" utility. Now, I want to format my laptop, and here I have few doubts, that hopefully you super-gurus can answer:

[1] What is the better option for formatting my drive? Should I use the Toshiba media-creator or install a clean version of Windows-7 from an ISO download (am I allowed to do that? If so, what is a good site to download?) There is a "sticker-certificate" on the bottom of my laptop with a product-key. Will it work with the new install?

[2] Do I have the option of installing a 32-bit version of Windows-7 instead of 64-bit with the above license? The reason is that most applications I use are 32-bit and hence a 32-bit OS is better suited for me. But does the license allow me to do that?

[3] (The tricky part) - Since I have a good 320GB HDD, I want to dual-boot by creating two partitions - with a linux distribution (Ubuntu/openSuse) running on the second partition? Assuming I don't have the option of clean-install, will I be able to create the extra partition for linux using the Toshiba utility?
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
July 27, 2012 4:45:27 PM

1: If you downloaded a copy of Windows from some website, aside from Microsoft's online store, it would be piracy, and your key would not work. Your only real option is to use the Toshiba recovery partition or media.

2: A 32-bit program will run just fine on a 64-bit OS. The program will not really know or care that it is running on a 64-bit OS. If your system came with a 64-bit OS, then odds are it is because it has 4GB or more of RAM. If you install a 32-bit copy of Windows, you would lose access to anything over 3.5GB of RAM.

3: The Linux installer should be able to take care of that, or you could use a program like Partition Magic. Just make sure you install Linux AFTER Windows, since Windows has a nasty habit of not bothering to ask if you want to keep the existing boot loader on a drive before it overwrites it.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a c 395 $ Windows 7
July 27, 2012 4:51:21 PM

OEM should be able to use 32 or 64 bit.
m
l
Related resources
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
July 27, 2012 5:09:31 PM

1) I'd stick with the 64 bit Windows version.
2) On the Clean Install - Just barrow a windows 7 (64 Bit) DVD.
... Select Custom install, on page where it asked where to install, 1st delete ALL existing partitons. Then select the UNPARTITIONED space to Install windows to. At this point go ahead and esbablish the partition size that you want for Win 7. You can leave the remainder of the drive Unpartitionded and set it up after win is installed via contral panel/disk management.
... DO NOT enter any Win 7 key when prompted. After win 7 is re installed and you have verified all is OK, then select activation and NOW enter the Key that is on the bottom of the laptop.

NOTE: If you barrow a UPGRADE DVD, you can still use it by following the steps I outlined.
HOWEVER ONE CAVET. You must follow the steps on Page two of the link I'll provide. BEFORT entering key and activation.
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos/how_use_your_wi...
m
l
July 27, 2012 5:25:13 PM

RetiredChief said:
1) I'd stick with the 64 bit Windows version.
2) On the Clean Install - Just barrow a windows 7 (64 Bit) DVD.
... Select Custom install, on page where it asked where to install, 1st delete ALL existing partitons. Then select the UNPARTITIONED space to Install windows to. At this point go ahead and esbablish the partition size that you want for Win 7. You can leave the remainder of the drive Unpartitionded and set it up after win is installed via contral panel/disk management.
... DO NOT enter any Win 7 key when prompted. After win 7 is re installed and you have verified all is OK, then select activation and NOW enter the Key that is on the bottom of the laptop.

NOTE: If you barrow a UPGRADE DVD, you can still use it by following the steps I outlined.
HOWEVER ONE CAVET. You must follow the steps on Page two of the link I'll provide. BEFORT entering key and activation.
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos/how_use_your_wi...

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention in my post that my version is actually W7 Home Premium, and I'm in no position to "borrow" it from any one. Are there no official links where W7 could be downloaded?
m
l
a b D Laptop
a c 395 $ Windows 7
July 27, 2012 5:30:41 PM

Your welcome , glad to help.
m
l
!