4x 8x agp

dbol

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2003
I have an Abit TH7II MB and it is a 4X agp. Is it worth getting a new 8X agp card or not. I am sure I will see a difference but how much. Are there any tested done with an 8X card in a 4X slot?

Thanks.

The difference you will see would be a result of the specifications of the new vs old graphics card, not as a result of AGP 8x vs AGP 4x. Changing graphics cards on the basis of AGP speed makes no sense.

Barton 2500+, 512MB Corsair Platinum XMS 3200 CL2, Radeon 9700, WD Raptor 10,000 rpm S-ATA HDD, Asus A7V600, Enermax 460W SilentPlus PSU.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I've answered this question 1,326 times now. AGP8x doesn't offer a performance advantage over AGP4x with current cards. It was released before it was needed to support continuing increases in card performance not reflected by current cards. All AGP8x cards will work in your board and perform just as well at 4x speed.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

dbol

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2003
Have there been any benchmarks comparing the two standards? I guess the best way to check is to run 3dmark on the new card I get and compare it with others. Thanks again

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Name a site, they did comparisons. Virtually every hardware site has.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>