ATI AIW or Hauppauge w/9600 Pro

gvzmz

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2003
I am planning to build an HTPC. My original intent was to use an ATI AIW 9800 Pro card. Since I have satellite service I need to use Snapstream PVR software since the AIW is not set up for external boxes (cable or satellite). The buzz is that the Snapstream software may work best with the recommended Hauppauge Wintv 250/350 tuner cards.

I am now considering a combo Radeon 9600 Pro graphice card/Hauppauge Wintv 350 w/IR blaster. Does anyone have experience either way? I understand that the AIW remote is outstanding; what about the Hauppauge remote?

Steve3128

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2003
gvzmz,
I’m putting together a system right now too and pondering the same question. Did you get any direction from somewhere else on what the best choice would be?
steve

gvzmz

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2003
I ended up buying the ATI AIW 9800pro. I have built the computer but have not yet finished configuring it with the TV etc. Part of this decision had to do with the fact that I need to use Snapstream since I have satellite service and the ATI has a better RF remote. The AIW 9600 pro is now shipping and is at least $150 cheaper. Check out this month's (Novemver) Maximum PC magazine; they build an entertainment center pc very close in overall configuration to mine. I did not find any explicit info on this choice but went with my own feeling.