The joy of just playing 1 game all day...

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

This weekend I will have the house all to myself, and all week I have been
looking forward to the joy of being able to play my old Fidelity Designer
2100 Model 6103 chess computer in an all day no time limit game. Over the
many years I've owned this great little machine, and out of the hundreds of
games I've played against it, I have only managed to beat it 2 times in
legal play, and 3 other times by playing all day with no time limit. All
these wins were when I played Black. I have never beaten it playing white,
and tomorrow that is what I will play. This has always been my secret
weakness in serious games. At heart I've always been a defensive player,
preferring to react, and counter rather than taking the offensive. Been
booking up on my openings since last Sunday, and spending time playing
through many of the games of Eduard Nemeth. I have no idea how or if my
Fidelity will respond to his modified openings or anti-computer tactics. I
have one more day of study remaining, and welcome any comments, suggestions
or critiques.

Good luck, Chuck. The hopes of all mankind are riding on your shoulders.
(But don't let that rattle you or anything.)

Chuck wrote:
> This weekend I will have the house all to myself, and all week I have been
> looking forward to the joy of being able to play my old Fidelity Designer
> 2100 Model 6103 chess computer in an all day no time limit game. <snip>

Have fun, and good luck! :)

HD

PS: Be careful with adopting the anti-comp strategies; against humans
there are awful

can you post the moves here when your done ?

Good Luck , when i play my computer i usually blow it in the middle game
and it takes a piece for free and then i am not good enough to
recover...

D Persica wrote:

>Chuck wrote...
>>
>> This weekend I will have the house all to myself, and all week I have been
>> looking forward to the joy of being able to play my old Fidelity Designer
>> 2100 Model 6103 chess computer in an all day no time limit game. Over the
>> many years I've owned this great little machine, and out of the hundreds
>> of games I've played against it, I have only managed to beat it 2 times in
>> legal play, and 3 other times by playing all day with no time limit. All
>> these wins were when I played Black. I have never beaten it playing white,
>> and tomorrow that is what I will play. This has always been my secret
>> weakness in serious games. At heart I've always been a defensive player,
>> preferring to react, and counter rather than taking the offensive. Been
>> booking up on my openings since last Sunday, and spending time playing
>> through many of the games of Eduard Nemeth. I have no idea how or if my
>> Fidelity will respond to his modified openings or anti-computer tactics.
>> I have one more day of study remaining, and welcome any comments,
>> suggestions or critiques.
>
>Good luck, Chuck. The hopes of all mankind are riding on your shoulders.
>(But don't let that rattle you or anything.)

I personally welcome the enlightened and benevolent rule of our machine overlords.

--
Guy Macon <http://www.guymacon.com/>

"Guy Macon" <http://www.guymacon.com/> wrote in message
>>Good luck, Chuck. The hopes of all mankind are riding on your shoulders.
>>(But don't let that rattle you or anything.)
>
> I personally welcome the enlightened and benevolent rule of our machine
> overlords.

A silicon quisling in our midsts!

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

Sure, if I lose we can all laugh at my blunders...I'm really looking forward
to tomorrows match, I feel pretty good and just set up my chess board on the
living room table, and have cleared off my desk here in my office and set up
my Fidelity right in the center of my desk, move pad, and several pens.
Turned all the phone ringers off, and muted the answering machine. As I
play I like to walk back and forth, maybe watch TV, relax, then go back to
the game, make my move on my big living room set, then look at it, and then
when I think I'm sure I go back to my office and make my move. I'm pretty
much in wind down mode now, just clearing my mind, getting ready to get a
good nights sleep. I just set up the coffee maker, and now I'm ready. I
can do it if I don't blunder. Many times I have a won game, and get tunnel
vision, then miss something simple, and pay the price. But the most
important thing is that I sure have fun. Well its after mid-night here and
time for me to retire for now.

I'll post my game depending on how well I do....(GRIN)

D Persica wrote:

>"Guy Macon" <http://www.guymacon.com/> wrote..
>
>>>Good luck, Chuck. The hopes of all mankind are riding on your shoulders.
>>>(But don't let that rattle you or anything.)
>>
>> I personally welcome the enlightened and benevolent rule of our machine
>> overlords.
>
>A silicon quisling in our midsts!

(Note to self: recycle Persica during first "downsizing".) Bwahahaha!

> Sure, if I lose we can all laugh at my blunders...I'm really looking
> forward
> to tomorrows match, I feel pretty good and just set up my chess board on
> the
> living room table, and have cleared off my desk here in my office and set
> up
> my Fidelity right in the center of my desk, move pad, and several pens.
> Turned all the phone ringers off, and muted the answering machine. As I
> play I like to walk back and forth, maybe watch TV, relax, then go back to
> the game, make my move on my big living room set, then look at it, and
> then
> when I think I'm sure I go back to my office and make my move. I'm pretty
> much in wind down mode now, just clearing my mind, getting ready to get a
> good nights sleep. I just set up the coffee maker, and now I'm ready. I
> can do it if I don't blunder. Many times I have a won game, and get
> tunnel
> vision, then miss something simple, and pay the price. But the most
> important thing is that I sure have fun. Well its after mid-night here
> and
> time for me to retire for now.
>
> I'll post my game depending on how well I do....(GRIN)

Well, chuck, WHAT HAPPENED?!?!

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

I almost had it, but choked on my endgame. I couldn't figure out how to
defeat 1 knight with my 2 bishops, and when the power went out I didn't feel
like setting it back up in the morning and playing on.

I tell you it was one very tough game, but I think its been years since I've
enjoyed a game so much, but it left me quite mentally exhausted. I haven't
even felt like researching 2 bishops vs 1 knight endings at this point, and
will just wait for a few kind souls to post some links and share some
wisdom.

Next time I will plug my Fidelity into my computers UPS, and when we have
our next match my Fidelity shall not escape my wrath so easily. I know I
can do it, I came so close this time, and I just about had it.

Oh the simple joy of this game....