MN-730 and US Robotics Router WEP problem

Last response: in Networking
June 15, 2004 5:05:35 AM

I cannot get my 730 card to connect to my US Robotics 8054 router using
64bit or 128bit WEP. The 730 card keeps coming back with 'Incorrect Key' i
know the key is correct. The 730 card will connect when WEP is disabled on
both the 730 card and the router. Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks Mick
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 5:05:36 AM

Hi,

Did you make sure you used if you used 64bit to use 10 Hexidecimal
characters or 5 ASCII characters
and for 126bit you used 26 Hexidecimal characters or 13 ASCII characters?

--
Gary Tsang
Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

"Mick853" <mick853@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I cannot get my 730 card to connect to my US Robotics 8054 router using
> 64bit or 128bit WEP. The 730 card keeps coming back with 'Incorrect Key' i
> know the key is correct. The 730 card will connect when WEP is disabled on
> both the 730 card and the router. Does anyone have any ideas?
> Thanks Mick

Anonymous
June 15, 2004 5:42:46 AM

Gary,
I did use hex, the 730 software only allows hex. I tried both 64bit(10 hex
digits) and 128bit(26 hex digits) same result on both. Its as if the key is
not being encoded correctly.

Mick

"Gary Tsang" <gtsangDELETE@MEaumha.org> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Did you make sure you used if you used 64bit to use 10 Hexidecimal
> characters or 5 ASCII characters
> and for 126bit you used 26 Hexidecimal characters or 13 ASCII characters?
>
> --
> Gary Tsang
> Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>

> "Mick853" <mick853@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I cannot get my 730 card to connect to my US Robotics 8054 router using
> > 64bit or 128bit WEP. The 730 card keeps coming back with 'Incorrect Key'
> > know the key is correct. The 730 card will connect when WEP is disabled
on
> > both the 730 card and the router. Does anyone have any ideas?
> > Thanks Mick

Related resources
June 15, 2004 5:42:47 AM

Are you running Windows XP on the computer that is having the problem?

Mick853 wrote:
> Gary,
> I did use hex, the 730 software only allows hex. I tried both 64bit(10 hex
> digits) and 128bit(26 hex digits) same result on both. Its as if the key is
> not being encoded correctly.
>
> Mick
>

> "Gary Tsang" <gtsangDELETE@MEaumha.org> wrote in message
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>Did you make sure you used if you used 64bit to use 10 Hexidecimal
>>characters or 5 ASCII characters
>>and for 126bit you used 26 Hexidecimal characters or 13 ASCII characters?
>>
>>--
>>Gary Tsang
>>Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
>>http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>>

>>"Mick853" <mick853@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I cannot get my 730 card to connect to my US Robotics 8054 router using
>>>64bit or 128bit WEP. The 730 card keeps coming back with 'Incorrect Key'

>>>know the key is correct. The 730 card will connect when WEP is disabled
>
> on
>
>>>both the 730 card and the router. Does anyone have any ideas?
>>>Thanks Mick

Anonymous
June 15, 2004 4:31:25 PM

I am running win2k pro.

"joker" <no-spam@netzero.com> wrote in message
> Are you running Windows XP on the computer that is having the problem?
>
> Mick853 wrote:
> > Gary,
> > I did use hex, the 730 software only allows hex. I tried both 64bit(10
hex
> > digits) and 128bit(26 hex digits) same result on both. Its as if the key
is
> > not being encoded correctly.
> >
> > Mick
> >

> > "Gary Tsang" <gtsangDELETE@MEaumha.org> wrote in message
> >
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>Did you make sure you used if you used 64bit to use 10 Hexidecimal
> >>characters or 5 ASCII characters
> >>and for 126bit you used 26 Hexidecimal characters or 13 ASCII
characters?

> >>--
> >>Gary Tsang
> >>Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
> >>http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
> >>

> >>"Mick853" <mick853@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Key'

> > on

June 15, 2004 4:31:26 PM

Which version of the Microsoft Broadband Networking software are you
running?

Mick Fleming wrote:
> I am running win2k pro.
>

> "joker" <no-spam@netzero.com> wrote in message
>
>>Are you running Windows XP on the computer that is having the problem?
>>
>>Mick853 wrote:
>>
>>>Gary,
>>>I did use hex, the 730 software only allows hex. I tried both 64bit(10
>
> hex
>
>>>digits) and 128bit(26 hex digits) same result on both. Its as if the key
>
> is
>
>>>not being encoded correctly.
>>>
>>>Mick
>>>

>>>"Gary Tsang" <gtsangDELETE@MEaumha.org> wrote in message

> characters?

> Key'

>>>on

Anonymous
June 15, 2004 7:15:33 PM

The software i am running is:
Microsoft Broadband Network Utility Software Ver 2.0.0.638
Wireless PCI Adapter (MN-730) Driver 3.20.26.0

> Which version of the Microsoft Broadband Networking software are you
> running?
>
> Mick Fleming wrote:
> > I am running win2k pro.
> >

> > "joker" <no-spam@netzero.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>Are you running Windows XP on the computer that is having the problem?

> > hex

> > is

> > characters?

> > Key'

June 17, 2004 4:25:33 AM

What type of WEP key did you enter into the router (Hex, ASCII, Etc.)?

Did you use Hexadecimal there as well?

mick853 wrote:
> The software i am running is:
> Microsoft Broadband Network Utility Software Ver 2.0.0.638
> Wireless PCI Adapter (MN-730) Driver 3.20.26.0
>

> "joker" <no-spam@netzero.com> wrote in message
>
>>Which version of the Microsoft Broadband Networking software are you
>>running?
>>
>>Mick Fleming wrote:
>>
>>>I am running win2k pro.
>>>

>>>"joker" <no-spam@netzero.com> wrote in message

>>>hex

> key
>
>>>is

>>>characters?

> using

>>>Key'

> disabled

June 17, 2004 4:28:51 AM

I just remembered another question. Have you updated the firmware on
your router to the latest version?

mick853 wrote:
> The software i am running is:
> Microsoft Broadband Network Utility Software Ver 2.0.0.638
> Wireless PCI Adapter (MN-730) Driver 3.20.26.0
>

> "joker" <no-spam@netzero.com> wrote in message
>
>>Which version of the Microsoft Broadband Networking software are you
>>running?
>>
>>Mick Fleming wrote:
>>
>>>I am running win2k pro.
>>>

>>>"joker" <no-spam@netzero.com> wrote in message