CB 9 instability

About every 10th time I try to save a game in CB9 a box comes up that says,
"Preparing Database." The program starts counting -- what, I have no idea --
up to anywhere from 50 to 80 thousand. It takes a good 15 minutes, during
which my computer is unusable.

Usually, when I try to end the process I lose the game I was trying to save
(today I didn't).

Does anyone have any idea what is causing this? I have an Athlon 2600
processor with 512 RAM (soon to be 1.5 Mb), and Windows XP Home.

"Angelo DePalma" <adpspammersgotohell@tellurian.net> wrote in message

> The result of the integrity test was a series of codes. What am I supposed
> to do with them?
>
> I just don't understand why CB can't follow the standard "Are you sure you
> want to delete?" protocol that other software programs employ, and simply
> let us remove unwanted database entries.

Other software programs generally won't allow edits on a file or database
that it knows to be corrupt. You could try getting the integrity checker to
fix the problem as follows:

- take a backup or copy of the database (safest is to do this in Windows
explorer, you could just right-click the database in CB and select
Tools/Backup Database) ;

- right-click the database in CB and select Tools/Check Integrity ;

- answer "Yes" to the "Correct errors if possible" question ;

- see what happens next.

Regards,
Arfur

Angelo DePalma wrote:
> About every 10th time I try to save a game in CB9 a box comes up that says,
> "Preparing Database." The program starts counting -- what, I have no idea --
> up to anywhere from 50 to 80 thousand. It takes a good 15 minutes, during
> which my computer is unusable.
>
> Usually, when I try to end the process I lose the game I was trying to save
> (today I didn't).
>
> Does anyone have any idea what is causing this? I have an Athlon 2600
> processor with 512 RAM (soon to be 1.5 Mb), and Windows XP Home.

The system specs are ok as they are.
Haven't expienced _this_ one myself (yet).

I have problems with all my databases. Let's face it, CB has a nice
interface and the strongest analysis engines, but the program is a dog.

"D Persica" <dennispersica@bellsouth.net> wrote

Angelo DePalma wrote:
> There are over 200 games in that database. It would take 10,000 years to
> split it up into all possible combinations and integrity check each one. I
> don't get it.

200 games - a little more? Now I don't get it. Bases that small use to
be easy deal with, and "IC" usualy works well on them.

With large bases it's different, and I've used to split them by ECO, or
an interval of ECO, and follow the IC-report during the scan - the last
part is of course only possible if it finds "bugs", and not as with
this, when it doesn't (thought they apparently exists).
Still, splitting is my best suggestion. And keep a backup of each
section when it seem to be error-free.

I think the larger, more relevant question here is why do these files
corrupt so easily, to the point where they cannot even be deleted? And why
does CB cause so much instability on my system? Yesterday, while I was
having my problem, the program's CPU usage was fluctuating between 90 and
99%. Will an extra GB of memory cure that problem? We shall see.

Meanwhile, total silence from CB, who believe that customer support means
emailing three days later to ask (even though I've already told them) what
operating system I'm using, then never following up.

"HD" <HDChess@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Angelo DePalma wrote:
>> There are over 200 games in that database. It would take 10,000 years to
>> split it up into all possible combinations and integrity check each one.
>> I don't get it.
>>

> 200 games - a little more? Now I don't get it. Bases that small use to be
> easy deal with, and "IC" usualy works well on them.
>
> With large bases it's different, and I've used to split them by ECO, or an
> interval of ECO, and follow the IC-report during the scan - the last part
> is of course only possible if it finds "bugs", and not as with this, when
> it doesn't (thought they apparently exists).
> Still, splitting is my best suggestion. And keep a backup of each section
> when it seem to be error-free.

HD schrieb in Nachricht ...
>Angelo DePalma wrote:
>> About every 10th time I try to save a game in CB9 a box comes up that
says,
>> "Preparing Database." The program starts counting -- what, I have no
idea --
>> up to anywhere from 50 to 80 thousand. It takes a good 15 minutes, during
>> which my computer is unusable.

Glad i did not buy it. Instability is inacceptable. I shall work around with
my elder
version of cb. Soon after coming out, folks informed me about problems with
cb9.

Always look at the bright site of live,

Elbro

To all:

Thanks for your suggestions.

I believe I've fixed my CB problem. I was unable to do an integrity check on
the database in question (a collection of 200+ of my games) so I copied all
the games to a new database. I was able to integrity-check the new
collection, then delete the duplicate and deleted games. Since then I have
not experienced any problems whatsoever with CB.

It's too bad it took me so many months to figure this out. I stumbled on
this by accident (and through some suggestions from RGCP and RGCC posters).

Angelo