AES...what to check out?

Last response: in Home Audio
September 14, 2005 12:53:00 AM

anything *really* cool debuting at AES in October?

for example, Daniel Weiss has been hinting at something called a
Powerhouse... a firewire DSP box to run his processing in a dedicated
external plugin environment. i'm not sure if this will premiere at
AES, but...

so anything totally awesome? (i want to make good use of floor time
while i'm there)

More about : aes check

Anonymous
September 14, 2005 1:00:40 PM

<genericaudioperson@hotmail.com> wrote:
>anything *really* cool debuting at AES in October?

If we knew, it wouldn't be much of a debut, would it?

If you have an opportunity, go to whatever Pioneer-financed paper on
ultrasonic perception is being given. They are all hilarious.
--scott

September 14, 2005 3:33:11 PM

The Powerhouse will not yet be ready for the AES I am afraid - but we
will show our entire range of products including the just released DNA1
Denoiser / Declicker / Ambience generator. See
http://www.weiss.ch/dna1/dna1.html including demo tracks.

Daniel
www.weiss.ch

genericaudioperson@hotmail.com schrieb:

> anything *really* cool debuting at AES in October?
>
> for example, Daniel Weiss has been hinting at something called a
> Powerhouse... a firewire DSP box to run his processing in a dedicated
> external plugin environment. i'm not sure if this will premiere at
> AES, but...
>
> so anything totally awesome? (i want to make good use of floor time
> while i'm there)
September 14, 2005 10:46:30 PM

good point, i should have worded it better:

"Is there anything that has come out in the past 6 months, or will be
coming out by AES that is truly worth looking into?"

i'm thinking pro rather than pro-sumer
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 4:08:41 AM

<genericaudioperson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> anything *really* cool debuting at AES in October?
>
> for example, Daniel Weiss has been hinting at something called a
> Powerhouse... a firewire DSP box to run his processing in a dedicated
> external plugin environment. i'm not sure if this will premiere at
> AES, but...
>
> so anything totally awesome? (i want to make good use of floor time
> while i'm there)

Here's something I'm lookgin forward to checking out - when Tim gets back
from AES!!

(And, yes, a wee plug for my fellow Wellingtonian Tim Farrant...)

New Buzz Audio releases unveiled at AES!
Following on from the success of the MA2.2, two new products utilizing our
"True Class A" technology will be shown. The first up is The Resonance
Equaliser Model REQ-2.2, a high end stereo equalizer intended for Tracking,
Mixing and Mastering applications. The Resonance Equaliser gets its name
from the use of real switched inductors and capacitors as the reactive
elements in the EQ stages - no electronic simulation - which results in
natural resonance and a simply delectable sound. The REQ-2.2 boasts four
bands of parametric EQ with the high and low bands switchable Bell/Shelf and
each band can be switched in/out of circuit. The REQ also debuts a unique
variable Transformer Saturation circuit which introduces varying amounts of
low frequency colour in the form of harmonic distortion creating subtle but
effective lifting of low frequencies. A passive choke based High Pass Filter
completes the picture.The second new product is the DCS-2.2 Dual Compressor
System. This innovative compressor has features not found in any other
compressor available today, to find out more, visit our stand!
You can read more about the new products at
http://www.buzzaudio.com/products/whatsnew.htm

--

check it out!

Geoff
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 11:07:51 PM

Scott Dorsey <kludge@panix.com> wrote:
> <genericaudioperson@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >anything *really* cool debuting at AES in October?

> If we knew, it wouldn't be much of a debut, would it?

> If you have an opportunity, go to whatever Pioneer-financed paper on
> ultrasonic perception is being given. They are all hilarious.

So, *is* that where all of Oohashi's paper's come from?

Has anyone independely verified any of his results?

--

-S
Anonymous

Steven Sullivan <ssully@panix.com> wrote:
>Scott Dorsey <kludge@panix.com> wrote:
>> <genericaudioperson@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> >anything *really* cool debuting at AES in October?
>
>> If we knew, it wouldn't be much of a debut, would it?
>
>> If you have an opportunity, go to whatever Pioneer-financed paper on
>> ultrasonic perception is being given. They are all hilarious.
>
>So, *is* that where all of Oohashi's paper's come from?
>
>Has anyone independely verified any of his results?

Of course not. My favorite one was the one where they measured hair
growth and found people listening to wideband audio had more full and
lush hair than a control group listening to 44.1 audio.

The one where they measured alpha wave EEG, and determined that people
listening to one musical selection recorded at 96 ksamp/sec were more
relaxed than people listening to a different musical selection (possibly
punk rock or rap) at 44.1 ksamp/sec was fun also.

Most of the Kanabata Institute papers aren't quite this far out, but
they are all good for a laugh.
--scott

September 16, 2005 1:21:36 PM

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 21:46:30 -0400, genericaudioperson@hotmail.com wrote
(in article <1126748790.904995.145530@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>):

> good point, i should have worded it better:
>
> "Is there anything that has come out in the past 6 months, or will be
> coming out by AES that is truly worth looking into?"
>
> i'm thinking pro rather than pro-sumer

NO absolutely not. DON'T GO.

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com