Database?

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics (More info?)

Does anyone know of a non-ChessBase database that reads CB files and can use
the Shredder engine for analysis?

Thanks.
30 answers Last reply
More about database
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics (More info?)

    Angelo DePalma wrote:
    > Does anyone know of a non-ChessBase database that reads CB files and can use
    > the Shredder engine for analysis?
    >
    > Thanks.

    This is kind of confusing. What exactly are you looking for, Angie? A
    database of PGN files? Not quite sure....

    Nevertheless -- and though you may know this already -- the Pittsburgh
    Chess Club has probably the most extensive number of files I've seen on
    the net. Check it out at
    http://www.pitt.edu/~schach/Archives/index2.html.

    Sorry if this is old news.

    Regards,

    Matt
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics (More info?)

    "Matt Nemmers" <qcchess@mchsi.com> writes:
    > This is kind of confusing. What exactly are you looking for, Angie? A
    > database of PGN files? Not quite sure....

    I think he's looking for software, not game scores.
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics (More info?)

    Fritz?

    "Angelo DePalma" <adpspammersgotohell@tellurian.net> wrote in message

    > Does anyone know of a non-ChessBase database that reads CB files and can
    > use the Shredder engine for analysis?
    >
    > Thanks.

  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics (More info?)

    >Does anyone know of a non-ChessBase database that reads CB files and can use
    >the Shredder engine for analysis?

    So, you're giving up on getting your copy of CB to run properly
    Angelo? Well, we've been over that before.

    I don't think there is any other program which will read CBH format
    files and allow analysis by Shredder. If you want an alternative,
    you're going to have to make some compromises. Here's one idea: there
    is a full-featured FREE database program called SCID. You can find it
    here:

    http://scid.sourceforge.net/

    SCID will not read CBH files but it can handle PGN (it comes with a
    tool for converting PGN to its own SCID format). So, you can first
    convert your CB files to PGN. In CB, just go CONTROL/X and give the new
    database a file extension of .pgn. You can then drag other databases
    into it to convert them. Then import them into SCID and convert them
    again. I would not recommend trying this for a very large database but
    for a few hundred games it should be OK. If you want a big million-game
    reference database, the SCID site may offer one for sale in that
    format.

    As for engine analysis, my guess is the Shredder engine will not
    work with SCID, though you could try it and see. The SCID web site
    gives links to a number of free engines (like Crafty), which while not
    as strong or full-featured as Shredder, can still be used to help
    analyze your games.

    I still think it would be simpler just to get your CB working
    properly but if you are determined to give up, the above information
    may be of use to you.

    Regards, Hal Terrie
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    "Angelo DePalma" <adpspammersgotohell@tellurian.net> wrote in message

    > Does anyone know of a non-ChessBase database that reads CB files and can
    > use the Shredder engine for analysis?
    >
    > Thanks.

    No.
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics (More info?)

    Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> writes:

    >"Matt Nemmers" <qcchess@mchsi.com> writes:
    >> This is kind of confusing. What exactly are you looking for, Angie? A
    >> database of PGN files? Not quite sure....

    >I think he's looking for software, not game scores.

    I think he's looking for FREE software.
    --
    Mike Nolan
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics (More info?)

    Speaking of databases.

    Mike,

    Can you give us a URL which is the data dictionary with comments for the
    Gold and updates data?

    Tom Klem

    "Mike Nolan" <nolan@gw.tssi.com> wrote in message
    > Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> writes:
    >
    >>"Matt Nemmers" <qcchess@mchsi.com> writes:
    >>> This is kind of confusing. What exactly are you looking for, Angie? A
    >>> database of PGN files? Not quite sure....
    >
    >>I think he's looking for software, not game scores.
    >
    > I think he's looking for FREE software.
    > --
    > Mike Nolan
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics (More info?)

    Angelo DePalma wrote:
    > Does anyone know of a non-ChessBase database that reads CB files and can use
    > the Shredder engine for analysis?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Well, Chess Assistant can read both cbf and cbh with some limitations (training, keys), and can use Shredder UCI.

    Regards,
    Vlad
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    Vladyslav Kosulin wrote:
    > Angelo DePalma wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone know of a non-ChessBase database that reads CB files and
    >> can use the Shredder engine for analysis?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    > Well, Chess Assistant can read both cbf and cbh with some limitations
    > (training, keys), and can use Shredder UCI.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Vlad

    Read, yes. But to work with the data (make changes and use other CA
    tools) the base have to be converted to the CA format. And to get it
    back to cbh, it will have to be converted to pgn first.
    If there's something wrong with the datastructure this may not work well
    at all. On the other hand, if the convertion works, there's the
    possibility that the CA repair tool can cure the base... How big the
    chance is, I can't say.

    I too, would pay my attention to CB when trying to the problem, and with
    a little more than 200 games, I think now, that I'd just create a second
    base and drag games one by one into it, and run integrety check after
    each. That would tell me which games(s) that causes problems. After all,
    with such small number of games, they must be special and worth some effort.

    HD
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics (More info?)

    The following is a bit off topic, but I think may be worth mentioning.

    If you search for "Chess Club" using Google, the
    http://www.pitt.edu/~schach/ URL (University of Pittsburg Chess Club)
    comes up number three behind www.chessclub.com (Internet Chess Club)
    and www.ex.ac.uk/~dregis/DR (Exeter Chess Club).

    This excellent ranking may be due to the archive of games Matt just
    mentioned. My guess is there are a lot of links to this URL for this
    reason.

    Now compare this to the USCF's ranking.

    I found www.uschess.org/clubs/ on the 19th *page*. With 10 entries per
    page, that ranks the USCF's club in 189th place.

    Admittedly, the USCF isn't a "chess club", but it is (or at least
    should be) a gateway to help people find chess clubs where they can
    play.

    One key (if not the key) in getting an early listing in Google searches
    is to have many websites linked to a site. Two ways to do that is to
    ask Webmasters to link to a site. The other is to create great free
    content so that Webmasters will add links to it on their own.

    Google searches (I posted some results in a different posting on rgcp)
    might suggest how well the USCF has succeeded in this area.

    Yes I know, just staying alive has been both a struggle and the primary
    focus for the USCF for many years now. But, perhaps if the good
    financial performance, that we have seen under the Marinello
    admininistration, can continue under the next administration (whose
    will it be?), perhaps the USCF Website can the extra attention I think
    it needs and deserves.

    Best regards,

    George John
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics (More info?)

[...]

    will it be?), perhaps the USCF Website can receive the extra attention
    I think it needs and deserves.

    Best regards,

    George John
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics (More info?)

    George John wrote:

    > Yes I know, just staying alive has been both a struggle and the primary
    > focus for the USCF for many years now. But, perhaps if the good
    > financial performance, that we have seen under the Marinello
    > admininistration, can continue under the next administration (whose
    > will it be?), perhaps the USCF Website can receive the extra attention
    > I think it needs and deserves.
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > George John

    I am annoyed that Chess Politico George John, whose burning ambition is
    to become USCF President, keeps giving the "Marinello Administration"
    credit for things that have nothing to do with the Marinello
    Adminisration.

    In this case, if the Marinello Administration truly deserved credit,
    then improvement would have started from the moment Marinello became
    president.

    However, it did not happen that way. After Marinello became president,
    things continued downhill. Imrovement did not start until after
    Goichberg became Executive Director.

    Sam Sloan
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics (More info?)

    Angelo DePalma wrote:
    > I just want something that doesn't freeze up my computer every time I try to
    > use it. If it's free, all the better.

    Freeze up your computer? What OS are you running?

    Best regards,

    George
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics (More info?)

    samsloan wrote:

    [SNIP]

    > I am annoyed that Chess Politico George John, whose burning ambition is
    > to become USCF President,

    This is simply not true. I have stated elsewhere that I think
    experience on the USCF Executive Board is highly desirable prior to
    someone becoming the USCF President. The more recent the experience
    the better. Two years of experience is ideal, but in a pinch I would
    accept one.

    I have no experience on the USCF Executive Board, and therefore, should
    I be elected, I would not accept the position of President except in an
    emergency.

    If elected, I would accept the position of USCF Secretary, and that
    includes, if necessary, editing COPIES (this is for Don's benefit
    -grin-) of the audio recordings to remove the closed session portions
    so that they can be timely posted to the USCF Website (as required by
    the current Bylaws).

    > keeps giving the "Marinello Administration"
    > credit for things that have nothing to do with the Marinello
    > Adminisration.

    Many people contributed to the success of the Marinello Administration.
    They all deserve our thanks. But, the fact remains, anything that
    happened, good or bad, since Beatriz Marinello became the USCF's
    President, happened during the Marinello Administration.

    > In this case, if the Marinello Administration truly deserved credit,
    > then improvement would have started from the moment Marinello became
    > president.

    Critical decisions were made and implemented early in President
    Marinello's term. They saved the USCF from bankruptcy, and started the
    turnaround.

    > However, it did not happen that way. After Marinello became president,
    > things continued downhill. Imrovement did not start until after
    > Goichberg became Executive Director.

    I think there are many who would disagree with this assessment. Bill
    Goichberg was a member of the Marinello Administration who came on
    board a few months into her term. While he certainly contributed to
    the turnaround of the USCF, to give Bill Goichberg credit for
    preventing the bankruptcy and initiating the turnaround does not give
    credit to those who deserve it. I believe he would disagree with Sam
    Sloan's assessment, too.

    Best regards,

    George John
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics (More info?)

    > Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> writes:
    >
    >>"Matt Nemmers" <qcchess@mchsi.com> writes:
    >>> This is kind of confusing. What exactly are you looking for, Angie? A
    >>> database of PGN files? Not quite sure....
    >
    >>I think he's looking for software, not game scores.
    >
    > I think he's looking for FREE software.
    > --
    > Mike Nolan
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics (More info?)

    I am trying one last thing to get CB to work properly. I've purchased a GB
    of RAM to go with the 512 MB I already have. Some time ago it was suggested
    that CB eats up a lot of memory. On my machine it does use up a good deal of
    my 512 MB, and CPU as well. I don't know why it should do this, since it's
    not doing much of anything while I'm scrolling through games. Most of my
    problems in fact occur during file maintenance, like saving games, renaming
    files, etc.

    I wish ChessBase would address these problems. I've had them with every
    version of CB I've ever purchased and complained to them numerous times. The
    German school of customer service involves sending an email asking some
    trivial question about my setup, then just letting it drop.

    <halterrie@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > >Does anyone know of a non-ChessBase database that reads CB files and can
    > >use
    >>the Shredder engine for analysis?
    >
    > So, you're giving up on getting your copy of CB to run properly
    > Angelo? Well, we've been over that before.
    >
    > I don't think there is any other program which will read CBH format
    > files and allow analysis by Shredder. If you want an alternative,
    > you're going to have to make some compromises. Here's one idea: there
    > is a full-featured FREE database program called SCID. You can find it
    > here:
    >
    > http://scid.sourceforge.net/
    >
    > SCID will not read CBH files but it can handle PGN (it comes with a
    > tool for converting PGN to its own SCID format). So, you can first
    > convert your CB files to PGN. In CB, just go CONTROL/X and give the new
    > database a file extension of .pgn. You can then drag other databases
    > into it to convert them. Then import them into SCID and convert them
    > again. I would not recommend trying this for a very large database but
    > for a few hundred games it should be OK. If you want a big million-game
    > reference database, the SCID site may offer one for sale in that
    > format.
    >
    > As for engine analysis, my guess is the Shredder engine will not
    > work with SCID, though you could try it and see. The SCID web site
    > gives links to a number of free engines (like Crafty), which while not
    > as strong or full-featured as Shredder, can still be used to help
    > analyze your games.
    >
    > I still think it would be simpler just to get your CB working
    > properly but if you are determined to give up, the above information
    > may be of use to you.
    >
    > Regards, Hal Terrie

  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics (More info?)

    George John wrote:
    > samsloan wrote:
    >
    > [SNIP]
    >
    > > I am annoyed that Chess Politico George John, whose burning ambition is
    > > to become USCF President,
    >
    > This is simply not true. I have stated elsewhere that I think
    > experience on the USCF Executive Board is highly desirable prior to
    > someone becoming the USCF President. The more recent the experience
    > the better. Two years of experience is ideal, but in a pinch I would
    > accept one.
    >
    > I have no experience on the USCF Executive Board, and therefore, should
    > I be elected, I would not accept the position of President except in an
    > emergency.
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > George John

    So, if you pinch him really hard and twist his arm to the point of
    breaking George John will finally consent to becoming USCF President.

    But, the last time George John ran, which was on the Redman Slate, Bob
    Holiman, a member of that slate, posted on this group that if elected,
    George John would be the next USCF President.

    I did not read George John advancing such scruples at that time.

    Sam Sloan
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics (More info?)

    halterrie@worldnet.att.net wrote in

    >>Does anyone know of a non-ChessBase database that reads CB
    files
    >>and can use the Shredder engine for analysis?
    >
    > So, you're giving up on getting your copy of CB to run
    properly
    > Angelo? Well, we've been over that before.
    >
    > I don't think there is any other program which will read
    CBH
    > format
    > files and allow analysis by Shredder. If you want an
    alternative,
    > you're going to have to make some compromises. Here's one
    idea:
    > there is a full-featured FREE database program called SCID.
    You
    > can find it here:
    >
    > http://scid.sourceforge.net/
    >
    > SCID will not read CBH files but it can handle PGN (it
    comes
    > with a
    > tool for converting PGN to its own SCID format). So, you can
    first
    > convert your CB files to PGN. In CB, just go CONTROL/X and
    give
    > the new database a file extension of .pgn. You can then drag
    other
    > databases into it to convert them. Then import them into SCID
    and
    > convert them again. I would not recommend trying this for a
    very
    > large database but for a few hundred games it should be OK.
    If you
    > want a big million-game reference database, the SCID site may
    > offer one for sale in that format.
    >
    > As for engine analysis, my guess is the Shredder engine
    will
    > not
    > work with SCID, though you could try it and see. The SCID web
    site
    > gives links to a number of free engines (like Crafty), which
    while
    > not as strong or full-featured as Shredder, can still be used
    > help analyze your games.
    >
    > I still think it would be simpler just to get your CB
    working
    > properly but if you are determined to give up, the above
    > information may be of use to you.
    >
    > Regards, Hal Terrie

    UCI engines can be used with Scid according "Using UCI engines
    in Scid via Polyglot" on this web page.

    http://home20.inet.tele.dk/larsp/skak/polyglot.html

    The Polyglot link is at the left side of the downloads page at
    the site linked from the "Using UCI engines in Scid via
    Polyglot" web page. I had to right click the download links.
    Left click didn't work in my browser, IE6.0. The files are rar
    archives. If you don't have a rar extractor, a free one is
    available here:

    http://www.extractnow.com/

    The million-game reference database may not be available at the
    Scid site. Shane hasn't been heard from since last year. There
    is a new Scid forum at

    http://newscid.proboards29.com/index.cgi

    and a new Scid development site at

    http://scid.skjoldebrand.org/index.php?id=90&type=1

    rt
  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics (More info?)

    >> Does anyone know of a non-ChessBase database that reads CB files and can use the Shredder engine for analysis?

    Chess Assistant (you have to buy Shredder seperately but Shredder 9 is
    worth it, www.shredderchess.com is the website I think)

    I have Chess Assistant 7 set up that way (using Shredder 9 UCI as the
    analysis engine)

    Has anyone used Chess Assistant 8 yet? Any opinions?

    Also, has anyone tried the new tactics training CD "Chess Combinations
    Encyclopedia" (or some name like that), also from Convekta (= Chess
    Assistant)

    (Chess Assistant Website is www.convekta.com I think, Pickard's website
    www.chesscentral.com is one good place to buy among several)
  20. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics (More info?)

    "Angelo DePalma" <adpspammersgotohell@tellurian.net> wrote in message

    > Does anyone know of a non-ChessBase database that reads CB files and can
    > use the Shredder engine for analysis?
    >
    > Thanks.

    If there is one, it won't be able to read *corrupt* CB files. You need
    either to fix the files and the problem that is causing them, or just export
    them to some other format and buy a database that can read them.

    Regards,
    Arfur
  21. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics (More info?)

    A WinXP OS should not "freeze". Is *only* the application "freezing"
    or the entire system (you have to reset/reboot the system)

    --George
  22. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics (More info?)

    WinXP, 512 MB RAM, 2600 Athlon processor.

    "George John" <george@neosoft.com> wrote in message

    > Angelo DePalma wrote:
    >> I just want something that doesn't freeze up my computer every time I try
    >> use it. If it's free, all the better.
    >
    > Freeze up your computer? What OS are you running?
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > George

  23. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics (More info?)

    I was able to fix the database by simply copying the games to another, new
    database and running the integrity check. It then let me delete the
    duplicate games. Since I did that I have not had a problem with CB at all.

    Which makes me wonder if the problem wasn't the corrupted files above all,
    and after all.

    Thanks all for your suggestions/advice.

    "Arfur Million" <arfur_million@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "Angelo DePalma" <adpspammersgotohell@tellurian.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Does anyone know of a non-ChessBase database that reads CB files and can
    >> use the Shredder engine for analysis?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    > If there is one, it won't be able to read *corrupt* CB files. You need
    > either to fix the files and the problem that is causing them, or just
    > export them to some other format and buy a database that can read them.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Arfur

  24. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics (More info?)

    Angelo,

    That's not supposed to happen to a healthy Windows XP system. When a
    XP system freezes it is usually do to a hardware or device driver
    problem.

    Do you have all the most recent OS patches and device driver updates?

    Best regards,

    George
  25. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics (More info?)

    What do you call it when all your applications stop, the mouse doesn't work,
    and everywhere you see the hourglass?

    Whatever you call it, that's what CB does to my system.

    >A WinXP OS should not "freeze". Is *only* the application "freezing"
    > or the entire system (you have to reset/reboot the system)
    >
    > --George

  26. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics (More info?)

    Angelo DePalma wrote:
    > What do you call it when all your applications stop, the mouse doesn't work,
    > and everywhere you see the hourglass?

    You haven't been bitten by the old System Restore problem from back in 2003
    for some reason?

    There were quite a few postings on it in this newsgroup, if I recall ...
    checking ... I see you were bit by it yourself, so I assume this is something
    else.

    Some people also reported that some anti-virus programs caused massive slowdowns
    under some conditions.

    Idea: CTRL-ALT-DEL, select Processes, sort list on CPU percentage,
    and watch what process is hogging the CPU.

    --
    Anders Thulin ath*algonet.se http://www.algonet.se/~ath
  27. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics (More info?)

    George,

    I maintain a very healthy system. The only problems I've ever had on this
    machine have been with ChessBase and Shredder. I think I may have solved the
    problem though. Something in the "My Games" database was causing the program
    to hang, to use up 90-99% of CPU time, and mis-allocate memory. Since I've
    cleaned up the database this hasn't happened -- it's been over a day now,
    and I've opened CB 3-4 times. By now it should have "hung" at least once.

    Angelo

    > Angelo,
    >
    > That's not supposed to happen to a healthy Windows XP system. When a
    > XP system freezes it is usually do to a hardware or device driver
    > problem.
    >
    > Do you have all the most recent OS patches and device driver updates?
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > George

  28. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics (More info?)

    No, Anders, I believe it was a corrupted database or corrupted game file. It
    now appears to be fixed.

    adp

    "Anders Thulin" <ath_no_spam_please@algonet.se> wrote in message
    > Angelo DePalma wrote:
    >> What do you call it when all your applications stop, the mouse doesn't
    >> work, and everywhere you see the hourglass?
    >
    > You haven't been bitten by the old System Restore problem from back in
    > 2003
    > for some reason?
    >
    > There were quite a few postings on it in this newsgroup, if I recall ...
    > checking ... I see you were bit by it yourself, so I assume this is
    > something
    > else.
    >
    > Some people also reported that some anti-virus programs caused massive
    > slowdowns
    > under some conditions.
    >
    > Idea: CTRL-ALT-DEL, select Processes, sort list on CPU percentage,
    > and watch what process is hogging the CPU.
    >
    > --
    > Anders Thulin ath*algonet.se http://www.algonet.se/~ath
  29. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics (More info?)

    Angelo,

    Okay, it was a runaway application (hogging the CPU), which made the
    system appear to "freeze" when in fact it had not. I'm glad you
    found the problem (dB problem), and CB is now running well.

    Best regards,

    George John
  30. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics (More info?)

    >I was able to fix the database by simply copying the games to another, new
    >database and running the integrity check. It then let me delete the
    >duplicate games. Since I did that I have not had a problem with CB at all.
    >
    > Which makes me wonder if the problem wasn't the corrupted files above all,
    > and after all.
    >
    > Thanks all for your suggestions/advice.

    Since it's working nicely, now would be a good time to start taking regular
    backups of the files (which you may well be doing anyway, in which case this
    advice is superfluous). I hope it keeps working for you.

    Regards,
    Arfur

PC gaming Politics Computers Games Database Video Games