Database?

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics (More info?)

Does anyone know of a non-ChessBase database that reads CB files and can use
the Shredder engine for analysis?

Thanks.

Angelo DePalma wrote:
> Does anyone know of a non-ChessBase database that reads CB files and can use
> the Shredder engine for analysis?
>
> Thanks.

This is kind of confusing. What exactly are you looking for, Angie? A
database of PGN files? Not quite sure....

Nevertheless -- and though you may know this already -- the Pittsburgh
Chess Club has probably the most extensive number of files I've seen on
the net. Check it out at
http://www.pitt.edu/~schach/Archives/index2.html.

Sorry if this is old news.

Regards,

Matt

"Matt Nemmers" <qcchess@mchsi.com> writes:
> This is kind of confusing. What exactly are you looking for, Angie? A
> database of PGN files? Not quite sure....

I think he's looking for software, not game scores.

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics (More info?)

Fritz?

"Angelo DePalma" <adpspammersgotohell@tellurian.net> wrote in message

> Does anyone know of a non-ChessBase database that reads CB files and can
> use the Shredder engine for analysis?
>
> Thanks.

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics (More info?)

>Does anyone know of a non-ChessBase database that reads CB files and can use
>the Shredder engine for analysis?

So, you're giving up on getting your copy of CB to run properly
Angelo? Well, we've been over that before.

I don't think there is any other program which will read CBH format
files and allow analysis by Shredder. If you want an alternative,
you're going to have to make some compromises. Here's one idea: there
is a full-featured FREE database program called SCID. You can find it
here:

http://scid.sourceforge.net/

SCID will not read CBH files but it can handle PGN (it comes with a
tool for converting PGN to its own SCID format). So, you can first
convert your CB files to PGN. In CB, just go CONTROL/X and give the new
database a file extension of .pgn. You can then drag other databases
into it to convert them. Then import them into SCID and convert them
again. I would not recommend trying this for a very large database but
for a few hundred games it should be OK. If you want a big million-game
reference database, the SCID site may offer one for sale in that
format.

As for engine analysis, my guess is the Shredder engine will not
work with SCID, though you could try it and see. The SCID web site
gives links to a number of free engines (like Crafty), which while not
as strong or full-featured as Shredder, can still be used to help
analyze your games.

I still think it would be simpler just to get your CB working
properly but if you are determined to give up, the above information
may be of use to you.

Regards, Hal Terrie

"Angelo DePalma" <adpspammersgotohell@tellurian.net> wrote in message

> Does anyone know of a non-ChessBase database that reads CB files and can
> use the Shredder engine for analysis?
>
> Thanks.

No.

Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> writes:

>"Matt Nemmers" <qcchess@mchsi.com> writes:
>> This is kind of confusing. What exactly are you looking for, Angie? A
>> database of PGN files? Not quite sure....

>I think he's looking for software, not game scores.

I think he's looking for FREE software.
--
Mike Nolan

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics (More info?)

Speaking of databases.

Mike,

Can you give us a URL which is the data dictionary with comments for the
Gold and updates data?

Tom Klem

Angelo DePalma wrote:
> Does anyone know of a non-ChessBase database that reads CB files and can use
> the Shredder engine for analysis?
>
> Thanks.

Well, Chess Assistant can read both cbf and cbh with some limitations (training, keys), and can use Shredder UCI.

Regards,
Vlad

Vladyslav Kosulin wrote:
> Angelo DePalma wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know of a non-ChessBase database that reads CB files and
>> can use the Shredder engine for analysis?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
> Well, Chess Assistant can read both cbf and cbh with some limitations
> (training, keys), and can use Shredder UCI.
>
> Regards,
> Vlad

Read, yes. But to work with the data (make changes and use other CA
tools) the base have to be converted to the CA format. And to get it
back to cbh, it will have to be converted to pgn first.
If there's something wrong with the datastructure this may not work well
at all. On the other hand, if the convertion works, there's the
possibility that the CA repair tool can cure the base... How big the
chance is, I can't say.

I too, would pay my attention to CB when trying to the problem, and with
a little more than 200 games, I think now, that I'd just create a second
base and drag games one by one into it, and run integrety check after
each. That would tell me which games(s) that causes problems. After all,
with such small number of games, they must be special and worth some effort.

HD

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics (More info?)

The following is a bit off topic, but I think may be worth mentioning.

If you search for "Chess Club" using Google, the
http://www.pitt.edu/~schach/ URL (University of Pittsburg Chess Club)
comes up number three behind www.chessclub.com (Internet Chess Club)
and www.ex.ac.uk/~dregis/DR (Exeter Chess Club).

This excellent ranking may be due to the archive of games Matt just
mentioned. My guess is there are a lot of links to this URL for this
reason.

Now compare this to the USCF's ranking.

I found www.uschess.org/clubs/ on the 19th *page*. With 10 entries per
page, that ranks the USCF's club in 189th place.

Admittedly, the USCF isn't a "chess club", but it is (or at least
should be) a gateway to help people find chess clubs where they can
play.

One key (if not the key) in getting an early listing in Google searches
is to have many websites linked to a site. Two ways to do that is to
ask Webmasters to link to a site. The other is to create great free
content so that Webmasters will add links to it on their own.

Google searches (I posted some results in a different posting on rgcp)
might suggest how well the USCF has succeeded in this area.

Yes I know, just staying alive has been both a struggle and the primary
focus for the USCF for many years now. But, perhaps if the good
financial performance, that we have seen under the Marinello
admininistration, can continue under the next administration (whose
will it be?), perhaps the USCF Website can the extra attention I think
it needs and deserves.

Best regards,

George John

[...]

will it be?), perhaps the USCF Website can receive the extra attention

George John wrote:

> Yes I know, just staying alive has been both a struggle and the primary
> focus for the USCF for many years now. But, perhaps if the good
> financial performance, that we have seen under the Marinello
> admininistration, can continue under the next administration (whose
> will it be?), perhaps the USCF Website can receive the extra attention
> I think it needs and deserves.
>
> Best regards,
>
> George John

I am annoyed that Chess Politico George John, whose burning ambition is
to become USCF President, keeps giving the "Marinello Administration"
credit for things that have nothing to do with the Marinello
Adminisration.

In this case, if the Marinello Administration truly deserved credit,
then improvement would have started from the moment Marinello became
president.

However, it did not happen that way. After Marinello became president,
things continued downhill. Imrovement did not start until after
Goichberg became Executive Director.

Sam Sloan

Angelo DePalma wrote:
> I just want something that doesn't freeze up my computer every time I try to
> use it. If it's free, all the better.

Freeze up your computer? What OS are you running?

Best regards,

George

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics (More info?)

samsloan wrote:

[SNIP]

> I am annoyed that Chess Politico George John, whose burning ambition is
> to become USCF President,

This is simply not true. I have stated elsewhere that I think
experience on the USCF Executive Board is highly desirable prior to
someone becoming the USCF President. The more recent the experience
the better. Two years of experience is ideal, but in a pinch I would
accept one.

I have no experience on the USCF Executive Board, and therefore, should
I be elected, I would not accept the position of President except in an
emergency.

If elected, I would accept the position of USCF Secretary, and that
includes, if necessary, editing COPIES (this is for Don's benefit
-grin-) of the audio recordings to remove the closed session portions
so that they can be timely posted to the USCF Website (as required by
the current Bylaws).

> keeps giving the "Marinello Administration"
> credit for things that have nothing to do with the Marinello
> Adminisration.

Many people contributed to the success of the Marinello Administration.
They all deserve our thanks. But, the fact remains, anything that
happened, good or bad, since Beatriz Marinello became the USCF's
President, happened during the Marinello Administration.

> In this case, if the Marinello Administration truly deserved credit,
> then improvement would have started from the moment Marinello became
> president.

Critical decisions were made and implemented early in President
Marinello's term. They saved the USCF from bankruptcy, and started the
turnaround.

> However, it did not happen that way. After Marinello became president,
> things continued downhill. Imrovement did not start until after
> Goichberg became Executive Director.

I think there are many who would disagree with this assessment. Bill
Goichberg was a member of the Marinello Administration who came on
board a few months into her term. While he certainly contributed to
the turnaround of the USCF, to give Bill Goichberg credit for
preventing the bankruptcy and initiating the turnaround does not give
credit to those who deserve it. I believe he would disagree with Sam
Sloan's assessment, too.

Best regards,

George John

> Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> writes:
>
>>"Matt Nemmers" <qcchess@mchsi.com> writes:
>>> This is kind of confusing. What exactly are you looking for, Angie? A
>>> database of PGN files? Not quite sure....
>
>>I think he's looking for software, not game scores.
>
> I think he's looking for FREE software.
> --
> Mike Nolan

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics (More info?)

I am trying one last thing to get CB to work properly. I've purchased a GB
of RAM to go with the 512 MB I already have. Some time ago it was suggested
that CB eats up a lot of memory. On my machine it does use up a good deal of
my 512 MB, and CPU as well. I don't know why it should do this, since it's
not doing much of anything while I'm scrolling through games. Most of my
problems in fact occur during file maintenance, like saving games, renaming
files, etc.

I wish ChessBase would address these problems. I've had them with every
version of CB I've ever purchased and complained to them numerous times. The
German school of customer service involves sending an email asking some
trivial question about my setup, then just letting it drop.

George John wrote:
> samsloan wrote:
>
> [SNIP]
>
> > I am annoyed that Chess Politico George John, whose burning ambition is
> > to become USCF President,
>
> This is simply not true. I have stated elsewhere that I think
> experience on the USCF Executive Board is highly desirable prior to
> someone becoming the USCF President. The more recent the experience
> the better. Two years of experience is ideal, but in a pinch I would
> accept one.
>
> I have no experience on the USCF Executive Board, and therefore, should
> I be elected, I would not accept the position of President except in an
> emergency.
>
> Best regards,
>
> George John

So, if you pinch him really hard and twist his arm to the point of
breaking George John will finally consent to becoming USCF President.

But, the last time George John ran, which was on the Redman Slate, Bob
Holiman, a member of that slate, posted on this group that if elected,
George John would be the next USCF President.

I did not read George John advancing such scruples at that time.

Sam Sloan

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics (More info?)

halterrie@worldnet.att.net wrote in

>>Does anyone know of a non-ChessBase database that reads CB
files
>>and can use the Shredder engine for analysis?
>
> So, you're giving up on getting your copy of CB to run
properly
> Angelo? Well, we've been over that before.
>
> I don't think there is any other program which will read
CBH
> format
> files and allow analysis by Shredder. If you want an
alternative,
> you're going to have to make some compromises. Here's one
idea:
> there is a full-featured FREE database program called SCID.
You
> can find it here:
>
> http://scid.sourceforge.net/
>
> SCID will not read CBH files but it can handle PGN (it
comes
> with a
> tool for converting PGN to its own SCID format). So, you can
first
> convert your CB files to PGN. In CB, just go CONTROL/X and
give
> the new database a file extension of .pgn. You can then drag
other
> databases into it to convert them. Then import them into SCID
and
> convert them again. I would not recommend trying this for a
very
> large database but for a few hundred games it should be OK.
If you
> want a big million-game reference database, the SCID site may
> offer one for sale in that format.
>
> As for engine analysis, my guess is the Shredder engine
will
> not
> work with SCID, though you could try it and see. The SCID web
site
> gives links to a number of free engines (like Crafty), which
while
> not as strong or full-featured as Shredder, can still be used
> help analyze your games.
>
> I still think it would be simpler just to get your CB
working
> properly but if you are determined to give up, the above
> information may be of use to you.
>
> Regards, Hal Terrie

UCI engines can be used with Scid according "Using UCI engines
in Scid via Polyglot" on this web page.

http://home20.inet.tele.dk/larsp/skak/polyglot.html

The Polyglot link is at the left side of the downloads page at
the site linked from the "Using UCI engines in Scid via
Polyglot" web page. I had to right click the download links.
Left click didn't work in my browser, IE6.0. The files are rar
archives. If you don't have a rar extractor, a free one is
available here:

http://www.extractnow.com/

The million-game reference database may not be available at the
Scid site. Shane hasn't been heard from since last year. There
is a new Scid forum at

http://newscid.proboards29.com/index.cgi

and a new Scid development site at

http://scid.skjoldebrand.org/index.php?id=90&type=1

rt

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics (More info?)

>> Does anyone know of a non-ChessBase database that reads CB files and can use the Shredder engine for analysis?

Chess Assistant (you have to buy Shredder seperately but Shredder 9 is
worth it, www.shredderchess.com is the website I think)

I have Chess Assistant 7 set up that way (using Shredder 9 UCI as the
analysis engine)

Has anyone used Chess Assistant 8 yet? Any opinions?

Also, has anyone tried the new tactics training CD "Chess Combinations
Encyclopedia" (or some name like that), also from Convekta (= Chess
Assistant)

(Chess Assistant Website is www.convekta.com I think, Pickard's website
www.chesscentral.com is one good place to buy among several)

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics (More info?)

"Angelo DePalma" <adpspammersgotohell@tellurian.net> wrote in message

> Does anyone know of a non-ChessBase database that reads CB files and can
> use the Shredder engine for analysis?
>
> Thanks.

If there is one, it won't be able to read *corrupt* CB files. You need
either to fix the files and the problem that is causing them, or just export
them to some other format and buy a database that can read them.

Regards,
Arfur

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics (More info?)

A WinXP OS should not "freeze". Is *only* the application "freezing"
or the entire system (you have to reset/reboot the system)

--George

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics (More info?)

WinXP, 512 MB RAM, 2600 Athlon processor.

"George John" <george@neosoft.com> wrote in message

> Angelo DePalma wrote:
>> I just want something that doesn't freeze up my computer every time I try
>> use it. If it's free, all the better.
>
> Freeze up your computer? What OS are you running?
>
> Best regards,
>
> George

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics (More info?)

I was able to fix the database by simply copying the games to another, new
database and running the integrity check. It then let me delete the
duplicate games. Since I did that I have not had a problem with CB at all.

Which makes me wonder if the problem wasn't the corrupted files above all,
and after all.

Thanks all for your suggestions/advice.

"Arfur Million" <arfur_million@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Angelo DePalma" <adpspammersgotohell@tellurian.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Does anyone know of a non-ChessBase database that reads CB files and can
>> use the Shredder engine for analysis?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> If there is one, it won't be able to read *corrupt* CB files. You need
> either to fix the files and the problem that is causing them, or just
> export them to some other format and buy a database that can read them.
>
> Regards,
> Arfur

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics (More info?)

Angelo,

That's not supposed to happen to a healthy Windows XP system. When a
XP system freezes it is usually do to a hardware or device driver
problem.

Do you have all the most recent OS patches and device driver updates?

Best regards,

George