Speck x.sum line mixer

Last response: in Home Audio
a b C Monitor
September 14, 2005 7:11:22 PM

I want a line level mixer in as slim a package as possible to do a
rough monitor mix off the line outputs of a Tascam MX2424. The Speck
X.Sum offers 32 (well 16 stereo) line inputs in one u - anyone tried it
or got other suggestions?

More about : speck sum line mixer

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
September 14, 2005 7:22:24 PM

TaffJock wrote:

> The Speck
> X.Sum offers 32 (well 16 stereo) line inputs in one u - anyone tried it
> or got other suggestions?

Not tried it, but Speck makes really good stuff. If it's what you
really want, I'd have confidence in a Speck product to sound good and
be well built.

I'm not sure that a stereo-in mixer is really what you'd want for doing
a rough mix, though. It means that channel pairs are panned left and
right and the only way you can put something in the center or
off-center is to use just one input of the pair. Typically (haven't
looked at that speck) a stereo line level mixer has "pan" pots that
work like the balanced control on a stereo receiver, with one input
half-normalled to the other. If you plug into just one of the pair,
then the pan pot works like a pan pot. So if with 16 pairs, you could
set up with 8 "pannable" channels and 16 "stereo pair" channels. It
might work for you, depending on what you're recording.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
September 15, 2005 2:21:50 AM

I've got the same problem....
I wanted a rack mixer or something similar.... Analog not digital.....
Then I thought "maybe I need some extra aux send.... maybe some EQ....
Maybe some phase inverter, and panpot, and......

I ended up buying a Yamaha GA32 (huge)....
No way for me to monitor an HD recorder in a slim way....
Sigh...
F.

"TaffJock" <alistair@themagicofradio.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> I want a line level mixer in as slim a package as possible to do a
> rough monitor mix off the line outputs of a Tascam MX2424. The Speck
> X.Sum offers 32 (well 16 stereo) line inputs in one u - anyone tried it
> or got other suggestions?

a b C Monitor
September 15, 2005 3:36:51 AM

TaffJock wrote:

> I want a line level mixer in as slim a package as possible to do a
> rough monitor mix off the line outputs of a Tascam MX2424. The Speck
> X.Sum offers 32 (well 16 stereo) line inputs in one u - anyone tried it
> or got other suggestions?

I didn't get a Speck, and since I (usually) need to monitor
mix only 16 from a Fostex D1624, I settled for a used Fostex
2016, 2RU. With two AUX sends, meters, gain and pan (but no
headphone out), it's adequate for most of my purposes. Even
if I have to tie the two 1624s together, I usually pick the
vital channels to monitor, and can be decently satisfied.
Controls are cramped and a little fragile.

Pick it up used for less than $100.

It's tough getting all the features and controls in a slim
and lightweight package.

I know it's not what you're looking for, but...

TM
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
September 15, 2005 6:00:41 PM

TaffJock <alistair@themagicofradio.com> wrote:
>I want a line level mixer in as slim a package as possible to do a
>rough monitor mix off the line outputs of a Tascam MX2424. The Speck
>X.Sum offers 32 (well 16 stereo) line inputs in one u - anyone tried it
>or got other suggestions?

Yes, it sounds good but the knobs are too small for human beings to
use.

ARX makes a mixer with 8 inputs, each of which has a pan control, and
a stereo output in 1U. It has tiny knobs but not AS tiny.

Crest makes a configurable thing that allows you to chain a bunch of
1U modules. It doesn't have as high density, but it is incredibly
flexible for building various monitor matrix configurations.
--scott
a b C Monitor
September 16, 2005 3:01:38 PM

Thanks for the info - I guess the stereo inputs are a pain and those
small controls maybe a problem too - though to be honest I don't really
want to mix anything to any digree of finesse just check that all the
inputs are working really so I'm not just relying on the meters. It's
about having the minimum stuff to carry so I can do the gig on my own.
I checked the Crest web site but couldn't see any rack mixers - we've
got an ARX which is ok but I was hoping to avoid 3U.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
September 16, 2005 6:07:01 PM

In article <1126892097.660395.190000@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
TaffJock <alistair@themagicofradio.com> wrote:
>Thanks for the info - I guess the stereo inputs are a pain and those
>small controls maybe a problem too - though to be honest I don't really
>want to mix anything to any digree of finesse just check that all the
>inputs are working really so I'm not just relying on the meters. It's
>about having the minimum stuff to carry so I can do the gig on my own.
> I checked the Crest web site but couldn't see any rack mixers - we've
>got an ARX which is ok but I was hoping to avoid 3U.

Crest makes a bunch of rack mixers. I think the one that I mentioned
is called the X-Matrix.
--scott