Help with mixer choice

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
September 15, 2005 12:45:57 PM

Hi,

I am looking a getting a new small mixer (4 mics) with fx on board.

At the moment I have a phonic but no fx (1202) but everything else I need.

The new ones I am thinking of are the Alto L8 1202 with fx or the
Behringer UB1202FX with fx. Both are much the same except teh orice of
the UB1202 is slightly less.

Anyone with either of these with some advice?

Thanks

Rock

More about : mixer choice

Anonymous
September 15, 2005 12:45:58 PM

Behringer mixers are good for the price. Beware, however, that the FX
buss will likely be too noisy for studio use if used as insert rather
than additive. In other words, if you turn the FX return all the way
up, it produces a lot of noise. Otherwise, the mixer is quite quiet.
I'm refering to the 2222FX Pro.

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 08:45:57 +1000, Rock <1940@pobox.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am looking a getting a new small mixer (4 mics) with fx on board.
>
>At the moment I have a phonic but no fx (1202) but everything else I need.
>
>The new ones I am thinking of are the Alto L8 1202 with fx or the
>Behringer UB1202FX with fx. Both are much the same except teh orice of
>the UB1202 is slightly less.
>
>Anyone with either of these with some advice?
>
>Thanks
>
>Rock
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 12:51:19 PM

hi Rock,

i have a UB1202, its 'ok'. but mine for some reason seems to have bent
chassis (not sure if thats the right word!) but ever since i've had it,
it hasn't sat properly on an even surface.

i also find the gain isn't a smooth as i'd like and mine goes in
'notches' which is sometimes irritating. its pretty quiet though and
does function well for the price.

cheers,

LuKe

http://www.recursor.co.uk
September 15, 2005 6:01:40 PM

Rock <1940@pobox.com> wrote:
>I am looking a getting a new small mixer (4 mics) with fx on board.
>
>At the moment I have a phonic but no fx (1202) but everything else I need.
>
>The new ones I am thinking of are the Alto L8 1202 with fx or the
>Behringer UB1202FX with fx. Both are much the same except teh orice of
>the UB1202 is slightly less.
>
>Anyone with either of these with some advice?

My advice: don't do it. Buy a console you like, THEN get an effects
box. Stay away from the all-in-one units.
--scott

September 16, 2005 1:12:52 AM

Scott Dorsey wrote:

> Rock <1940@pobox.com> wrote:
> >I am looking a getting a new small mixer (4 mics) with fx on board.
> >
> >At the moment I have a phonic but no fx (1202) but everything else I need.
> >
> >The new ones I am thinking of are the Alto L8 1202 with fx or the
> >Behringer UB1202FX with fx. Both are much the same except teh orice of
> >the UB1202 is slightly less.
> >
> >Anyone with either of these with some advice?
>
> My advice: don't do it. Buy a console you like, THEN get an effects
> box. Stay away from the all-in-one units.

If the guy is looking for a compact setup then onboard effects are very
attractive. Admittedly they are sometimes not the best sounding effects or the
most useful ones you might want. That why I ended up 'coding my own' for an
onboard DSP.

Graham
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 1:03:21 PM

Modular is the way to go...

I the F/X unit breaks down, you will have to send the console away to
be repaired. Nice eh?
I like the small soundcraft mixers. Wait a bit, I don't imagine there's
a whole heap of difference between a Phonic desk and a Beheringer.

DS
!