Email Chess (turn-based chess) Tournament open to all!

Last response: in Video Games
June 30, 2005 12:52:10 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

Come sign up and play in this email-chess tournament. Turn-based chess is a
great form of study and a great way to improve your game. Everything is free
and your email address wont' recieve any spam.

and click on the "Database" link on the left pane. Then click "add record"
and add your name to the list.
June 30, 2005 12:52:11 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

Is it okay to use computers in games like this?

Thanks.

Jason` wrote:
> Come sign up and play in this email-chess tournament. Turn-based chess is a
> great form of study and a great way to improve your game. Everything is free
> and your email address wont' recieve any spam.

> and click on the "Database" link on the left pane. Then click "add record"
> and add your name to the list.
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 8:38:04 AM

"Cheeze" <csmarasigan@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Is it okay to use computers in games like this?
>
> Thanks.

Databases, but not chess playing engines are allowed.

Jason
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
June 30, 2005 11:16:09 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

"Cheeze" <csmarasigan@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Is it okay to use computers in games like this?
>
> Thanks.

What is the point ?
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 12:00:32 PM

Terry wrote:
> "Cheeze" <csmarasigan@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Is it okay to use computers in games like this?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> What is the point ?

Just thought that if I had no assurance that the other guy isn't using
one, there must be a tournament out there which allows it.

BTW, once in a game against a computer I had Fritz 4 coaching me.
There was one move which it couldn't see. A nice bishop sacrifice. I
ignored Fritz's more conservative suggestions and tried it. True
enough the position that came out was in my favor even according to
Fritz's analysis of the new position.

I guess we humans still have something over these machines.
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 11:38:01 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

Na njuzima:1120143632.689573.319630@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com,
csmarasigan@gmail.com <csmarasigan@gmail.com> mukotrpnim radom iznaðe ovu
umotvorinu:

> Terry wrote:
>> "Cheeze" <csmarasigan@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Is it okay to use computers in games like this?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>

>> What is the point ?
>
> Just thought that if I had no assurance that the other guy isn't using
> one, there must be a tournament out there which allows it.
>
> BTW, once in a game against a computer I had Fritz 4 coaching me.
> There was one move which it couldn't see. A nice bishop sacrifice. I
> ignored Fritz's more conservative suggestions and tried it. True
> enough the position that came out was in my favor even according to
> Fritz's analysis of the new position.
>
> I guess we humans still have something over these machines.

Try Fritz 8 or CM10 and it will see the sac.
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 11:56:25 PM

> Terry wrote:
>> "Cheeze" <csmarasigan@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Is it okay to use computers in games like this?
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>> >

>> What is the point ?
>
> Just thought that if I had no assurance that the other guy isn't using
> one, there must be a tournament out there which allows it.
>
> BTW, once in a game against a computer I had Fritz 4 coaching me.
> There was one move which it couldn't see. A nice bishop sacrifice. I
> ignored Fritz's more conservative suggestions and tried it. True
> enough the position that came out was in my favor even according to
> Fritz's analysis of the new position.
>
> I guess we humans still have something over these machines.

Did you not hear about the recent match Hydra vs Michael Adams?

FYI, Hydra is slightly stronger than your fritz 4 running on a 386.
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 11:57:06 PM

"Bark!" <ja@moja.kuca> wrote in message news:D a1ak8$9f1$1@bagan.srce.hr...
> Na njuzima:1120143632.689573.319630@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com,
> csmarasigan@gmail.com <csmarasigan@gmail.com> mukotrpnim radom iznaðe ovu
> umotvorinu:
>
>> Terry wrote:
>>> "Cheeze" <csmarasigan@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> What is the point ?
>>
>> Just thought that if I had no assurance that the other guy isn't using
>> one, there must be a tournament out there which allows it.
>>
>> BTW, once in a game against a computer I had Fritz 4 coaching me.
>> There was one move which it couldn't see. A nice bishop sacrifice. I
>> ignored Fritz's more conservative suggestions and tried it. True
>> enough the position that came out was in my favor even according to
>> Fritz's analysis of the new position.
>>
>> I guess we humans still have something over these machines.
>
> Try Fritz 8 or CM10 and it will see the sac.

Fritz 8 won't run on his 386 with 16 mb ram.
July 2, 2005 7:37:16 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

Hahaha! Of course I agree! And very soon a computer would be powerful
enough to solve chess for good. And then we'll all be playing go.

:-)

Jason` wrote:
> <csmarasigan@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >

> > Terry wrote:
> >> "Cheeze" <csmarasigan@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >> What is the point ?
> >
> > Just thought that if I had no assurance that the other guy isn't using
> > one, there must be a tournament out there which allows it.
> >
> > BTW, once in a game against a computer I had Fritz 4 coaching me.
> > There was one move which it couldn't see. A nice bishop sacrifice. I
> > ignored Fritz's more conservative suggestions and tried it. True
> > enough the position that came out was in my favor even according to
> > Fritz's analysis of the new position.
> >
> > I guess we humans still have something over these machines.
> >

> Did you not hear about the recent match Hydra vs Michael Adams?
>
> FYI, Hydra is slightly stronger than your fritz 4 running on a 386.
July 2, 2005 3:47:00 PM

> Hahaha! Of course I agree! And very soon a computer would be powerful
> enough to solve chess for good. And then we'll all be playing go.
>
> :-)

When a computer solves chess it will be no good to me when I play
OTB chess. Chess will survive.

Regards
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 11:42:44 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

and blitz/bullet chess will thrive.

"Terry" <terry@tbean.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D a5rbl$oel$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk...

> "Cheeze" <csmarasigan@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hahaha! Of course I agree! And very soon a computer would be powerful
>> enough to solve chess for good. And then we'll all be playing go.
>>
>> :-)
>
> When a computer solves chess it will be no good to me when I play
> OTB chess. Chess will survive.
>
> Regards

July 3, 2005 2:57:09 AM

"Jason." <testers@mydomain.com> wrote in message
> and blitz/bullet chess will thrive.

Agreed.
I believe computers have helped chess.
They have brought a lot of people into chess.

Regards
July 3, 2005 11:56:22 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

Including me. But I hope it doesn't eventually provide the answer key.

I think Fischer has a point with his random chess.

!