Sign in with
Your question

Monitor Help!

Last response: in Components
October 10, 2003 4:45:19 AM

OK, here's the deal... I had an old, old computer which provided me with many good times, but I knew it was time for an upgrade. With it I used an older monitor, a 19 inch Compaq MV920. There is nothing wrong with this monitor, so I decided to use it with my new computer, which is a 2600+ on a Abit NF7 Rev. 2.0. So all was good; I put together my new computer and was ready to go... Until I noticed one thing... The pins on the cord of my monitor isn't compatible with the onboard video thing of the motherboard. What can I do? I don't want to have to spend money on a new monitor just because the pin settings aren't the same.

I have a Raden 9000 Evil Commando PCI [which I used on my old computer], so i stuck it in my new computer and tried plugging in the monitor to that. However, the monitor won't read, I'm guessing because the card isn't officially installed. So what can I do? Please help a n00b out!

More about : monitor

October 12, 2003 12:20:39 AM

Nearly impossible. The monitor as a 15-pin connection with 3 rows of 5 pins, right? And your motherboard has connectors with 9 pin connectors, one 5-pin row and one 4 pin row, right? The 9-pin connector is NOT video, it's an old fashioned SERIAL port, as used with older external modems.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
October 12, 2003 12:25:56 AM

Oh, and the NF7 doesn't have onboard video, just the NF7-M.

I'm guessing that you need to take this system to someone who knows how to assemble them, or else try reading the Motherboard's FAQ and check for a grounded motherboard, etc. as suggested.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
!